PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations..computer Recording

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 16th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Anybody recommend a good piece of multi track recording software .. I've used cake walk and am currently using cubase le but it's awkward and balky ... anybody find something out there that they have used .. dont tell me about stuff you've heard about , need solid hands on recomendations , software you've actually used ..going to be re-mixing and adding tracks to previous demo material so the software should be able to import the project or groups of tracks ...thanks ..6S9L

stingx
January 16th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I have been a very long time Steinberg Cubase user. I love the product BUT I would honestly recommend Tracktion 2 by Mackie. It's forte is a sweet, uncluttered user interface and it is very simple to use. It comes with a ton of VST plugins and is capable of producing amazing results. The price won't break the bank either. I believe it can be had for about $150 USD.

Here's the link: http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion2/

All you need to know about it is listed there and there's a free demo to try out.

Good luck.

kerc
January 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Audacity...Pretty easy to use, and it's free. :D Click here to go to the website... (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)

Spudman
January 16th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I'll second the Cubase.
Ya it takes some time to get to know, but it is a very powerful program and as long as it's paid for...might as well use it. Just get to know it better.

One thing that I did that helped was to put all the shortcut keys down on a piece of paper along with what they do, and have that on the wall by my monitor. It really made recording a lot faster.

stingx
January 17th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Audacity...Pretty easy to use, and it's free. :D Click here to go to the website... (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)

Nothing wrong with the freebie stuff but when you get serious you want to set up a decent DAW. Cubase and Sonar are great for Wintel, Digital Performer is hard to beat for Mac. You are paying for a great deal of bells and whistles and the support that comes with it, both from the company and the large user base community.

Tim
May 8th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Need some help here with this feeble mind I have. I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled all my programs. Problem is I forgot how Audacity works. The computer has a microphone input. I connected my 1/4 inch stereo balanced connector from the multi effects processor to the back of the 1/8 computer input jack. Nothing is being recorded but static. I think it mat be the computer setup rather than an Audacity problem. Any suggestions from you recording artist would be helpful. I remember conquering this problem way back, but I can not find any history of the problem on the Fret Net. Oh yea, I have Audacity set for microphone input.

SuperSwede
May 9th, 2007, 02:17 AM
My vote goes for Cubase. The learning curve is not very steep if you compare it to many other pro recording apps. You can do pretty much all you want with it, so take a look at Steinberg Studio 4 which has most of the features from the more expensive Cubase 4.

http://www.steinberg.net/1008_1.html

IF you had a Mac for recording purposes I would also suggest that you should check out Logic Express and/or Garageband.

zeusse
May 9th, 2007, 02:33 AM
I use Pro Tracks but from all info and after comparing Cubase has a more user friendly format but I'm use to PT so I just stick with it.

marnold
May 9th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Need some help here with this feeble mind I have. I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled all my programs. Problem is I forgot how Audacity works. The computer has a microphone input. I connected my 1/4 inch stereo balanced connector from the multi effects processor to the back of the 1/8 computer input jack. Nothing is being recorded but static. I think it mat be the computer setup rather than an Audacity problem. Any suggestions from you recording artist would be helpful. I remember conquering this problem way back, but I can not find any history of the problem on the Fret Net. Oh yea, I have Audacity set for microphone input.
Check the sound mixer (or whatever Windows calls it these days) to make sure the volume on your mic input is turned up. Also make double-sure that you've got it plugged into the right spot on your sound card. I've messed that one up many times.

duhvoodooman
May 9th, 2007, 08:38 AM
And make sure you've selected the mic as the input source on the mixer toolbar in Audacity.

abraxas
May 9th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Do yourself a favor and check out Mackie's Tracktion (version 3 must be shipping by now). It may very well be the last recording software package you buy. ;)

stingx
May 9th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Do yourself a favor and check out Mackie's Tracktion (version 3 must be shipping by now). It may very well be the last recording software package you buy. ;)

Tracktion was mentioned. Only v2.1 is currently for sale :( I LOVE Cubase but I also own Tracktion and it really is all that and more. If you never used a DAW before and never got used to having an app simuluate all the buttons and knobs of real hardware, then Tracktion is where you should be looking.

Tim
May 10th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I found the problem. Both the AGC and 200db Boost where turned on in the Advance settings of the Volume Control. This must have happened during re-installation of Windows XP after I reformatted the main hard drive. All is well now. I must now try recording to Zeusse’s new backing track.

sunvalleylaw
May 10th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Right now I just use Garageband, but might check out Cubase or Logic Express or Pro when I start recording more.

Tim
May 10th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks Sunny V for the information. Presently I use Audacity (it's free). I am not that good of a player, so no use in spending money until I improve my skills in playing.

sunvalleylaw
May 10th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks Sunny V for the information. Presently I use Audacity (it's free). I am not that good of a player, so no use in spending money until I improve my skills in playing.
Yeah, I'm with you. Garageband was free on my computers (came installed at time of purchase as part of the iLife software) and has more possibilities than I have mastery of at this point, so no point in paying for more yet.