PDA

View Full Version : A Side Project

t_ross33
January 16th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Gotta love band dynamics ;) Of the four of us, one member would rather play bigger gigs for more money, but less often. Three of us really want to play more often and for the shear enjoyment of it, money is secondary.

We struggled with this quite a bit, as we really like what we are doing as a foursome. That and #4 has the PA :D There is a lot of opportunity for some smaller gigs that three of us should be able to cover quite well, but we don't want to cut anybody out or compete with ourselves.

After much discussion, and with #4's blessing, the three of us are going to round up a med-sized PA and grab up as many of these smaller gigs as we can. If there is an opportunity to do something more substantial, we'll be booking it as the 4 piece, full blown deal. It'll take a bit of juggling, but we'll see how it goes.

I don't really have a question, just thought I'd throw this little tidbit of info out to my fellow Fretters. Feel free to offer advice, suggestions or comments.

Oh, and we'll need a name. I like the Cunning Stunts, but that may be a bit risque :D Maybe Spanky will let me grab the left-overs :)

Cheers,

Trev

P.S. Off to see Deirks Bentley and Doc Walker (an awesome band from the 'Peg) tonight. See ya!

Plank_Spanker
January 16th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Herding cats again, Trev? :D

t_ross33
January 17th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Meow meow meow meow...

Yeah, I'm beginning to understand that reference :p Back in my younger days I just had to show up, find out what key everyone was in and play. Now, even with this "hobby" band it's very much like herding cats.

Mrs. T and I went to a concert last night with my drummer and his wife: he loves the name "Cunning Stunts". About 1/2 way thru the concert his wife pipes up out of nowhere, "Oh, I get it!"... hilarious :D

KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE

Trev

Lev
January 17th, 2007, 08:41 AM
which member is not doing the smaller gigs? How are you going to cover for his absence?

t_ross33
January 17th, 2007, 09:28 AM
#4 is our keyboard/guitar/vocalist. He also covers most of our "frontman" work, as he has the most professional experience of the four of us.

Don't get me wrong, we love what we can do as a foursome (keys/guitar/bass/drums), and while our bass player is our primary lead singer, we are tightening up with some pretty complex vocal harmonies as well. That fourth player really rounds out the sound, be it keys or on a second guitar.

But for smaller gigs, we can still cover things pretty well with guitar/bass/drums. I trade off on bass for some songs, and while our bass player carries most of the vocal duties, we all take a shot at it. It will be a good opportunity to polish our "fronting" skills as well.

A 3 pc combo worked for Cream, Rush, SRV, Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly...hopefully we can pull it off too :p

Myles
January 17th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Looks like your band is in for some drama! :eek:

I'd be a bit cautious and try to limit the number of gigs you do as just the 3 of you. Every gig without your full crew puts you one step closer to losing that 4th and not necessarily on bad tidings, but ultimately if you guys start doing tons of small jobs and big jobs aren't in the foreseeable future then your #4 might be a no more.

My advice: Limit 3 man gigs and try your best to find gigs that'll work for all 4 of you. It's possible you can find a compromise between Frequent/Small and Infrequent/Big.

t_ross33
January 17th, 2007, 01:02 PM
It has been a bit dramatic/frustrating. We feel we are a pretty good band (the four of us), but there just aren't enough gigs or events available that either book bands on a regular basis, or will pay competative rates for good quality live entertainment. Not unless we want to do more roadwork, and that kind of defeats the purpose for us. It was never intended to be a "working band" as such. We are working on some marketing in our local area that may shake some gigs loose, so we'll see what happens.

Gigs large enough to pay or accomodate the 4 of us are only coming around once or twice every couple of months. There seems to be lots of opportunities around to play smaller events (private parties, small bars, smaller venues) that would pay slightly better than going DJ rates for live music, but it falls short of what #4 would find acceptable leaving the house for.

At any rate, we just want to get out and play once or twice a month. Hopefully some of these smaller gigs will help fill the void. The good thing is, our keyboard player is a very accomplished and former pro musician. He'll have no problem jumping in on anything the three of us "amateurs" cook up. He wants to do a pro job everytime we hit the stage, but I'm not sure it matters much to him how often that is :confused:

Hopefully we can strike a balance that satisfies everyone :)

Oh, how about this for a name: "the Wig Billies" :DR It's growing on me :D

Katastrophe
January 17th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Hey, since your current band is "Mid Life Crisis," how about another name - "Middle Age Crazy?"

But, I like "The Cunning Stunts" as well:eek: .

sunvalleylaw
January 17th, 2007, 01:32 PM
"Mid Life Crisis" leading to the "Bad Choices"?!! ;) :D

oldguy
January 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I personally would feel the "Cunning Stunts" moniker might offend some with delicate sensibilities.:eek: Not that I am offended by it, I did say "delicate sensibilities". You might also consider "Feer Barts" and "Castic Spolon", perhaps even "Cree's a Throwd" (although it isn't).:p

sunvalleylaw
January 17th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Oh, how about this for a name: "the Wig Billies" :DR It's growing on me :D

I like that. It sounds fun and not too serious for the smaller side jobs.

t_ross33
January 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I personally would feel the "Cunning Stunts" moniker might offend some with delicate sensibilities.:eek:

I agree, I just love the play on words! I can hardly write it properly, let alone SAY it :D

"Feer Barts" and "Castic Spolon", perhaps even "Cree's a Throwd" (although it isn't).:p

LMAO!!! I especially like "Castic Spolon!!" Right up there with "Bleak Wadder" or "Dimp Lick"!! Man, getting old sux :D

Yer all sick puppies. Luv ya like brothers!

Trev