PDA

View Full Version : Roland Cube 30

EscalonJon
September 23rd, 2005, 09:59 PM
The Roland Cube 30 is a great little DSP 30 watter with a 10 inch speaker. I was using my Carvin 50 watt 2x12 with 2x12 extension cab, but what a back breaker. I really needed a smaller amp that would get me some good tone and not cost a fortune. Here's how I came to buy the Roland. My guitar buddy Vinni had this great little Roland 30 that he got great tone with. The clean tone is pristine (modelled after the venerable Jazz Chorus), The DSP has a range of good overdrives, and a bunch of vintage amp clone/modelling. Vinni told me how he had miked it to a P.A. at gigs of up to 1000 people. The sound techs laughed until he cranked it up and found that it was a joy for them to balance, mix, etc. Vinni had always ran his his PRSs and Les Pauls through Marshall half-stacks. He wanted a light-weight amp as well and the Roland fit the bill. Here's a little story about this amp...About three months ago, Vinni and I went to a meeting of PRS owners from the Birds and Moons Forum in the San Fransisco area and the guys who owned Carrs and Dr. Zs, etc. were coming up to Vinni and asking if he brought his little "cheap" amp. One of the guys actually admitted to me how blown away and even a little embarrassed some of them were to see this $250.00 solid state midget keep up with their $2000.00-$3000.00 boutique amps. This sold me on the Cube 30. I am a big fan of value and performance. "Cheap guitars" and reasonable equipment of good quality are what impress me, much more than the snob-appeal. I agree with Robert and tone2thebone about the Vox AVTs, they are great. But the Rolands are solid-staters that are also a great bargain, for beginners or pros.

Robert
September 24th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Hey Jon, I was actually reading a flyer about these amps the other day. They look interesting. Seems like a competitor to the Vox AD30VT, do you think the Cube 30 sounds better? I like my Vox a lot for blues and rock. My Hellhound is still better for jazz tones, but the more I use my Vox the more I like it, actually. I just wish it had a better recording out tone. Does the Cube 30 record well straight into a soundcard? I cheap guitar luvver too!

EscalonJon
September 24th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Hi, Robert!

I haven't recorded with it yet. Vinni has recorded extensively with his, and the recorded product is great. I don't realy know what processes he adds to his mixdowns, so I can't really say if what I hear on his recordings are pure or not. I just got a new computer built that I am trying to get straightened out. I have an Audigy 2zs Platinum and will be using CakeWalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3. I don't know when I'll get around to a project on it, but I will let you know. You really should try one for yourself. I like the 10" speaker in the 30 better than the 12" in the Cube 60. I think you can get a 30 for a bit over $200.00us if you look around. I can't really say how a direct comparison would be to the AD30VT, it's been a year or so since I tried out the Vox amps. I did recently get the Brian May, but it is really not more than a great big effects box. It does get great Brian May tones, but it is kind of a one-trick-pony. I have always wanted to get an AC30 some day, but I am a cheap guitar guy.....

frankencat
March 4th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I had a Cube 30 and it is a great little bedroom amp but it is no match for the Vox AD's. Now that I have the AD50VT I wouldn't mind having a Micro Cube just to mess with in the studio ;)

warren0728
March 5th, 2006, 05:57 AM
hey frank,

my son has a micro cube and it is a fun lttle amp. The only thing it lacks (in his 9 year old opinion) is an auto wah (that's why he always wanted to use my vox). So i found him the danelectro french fry auto wah for 28 bucks and now he is happy.

ww

marnold
March 5th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Seems like a competitor to the Vox AD30VT, do you think the Cube 30 sounds better?
I liked the Cube well enough, but personally I liked the sounds I could get out of the AD30VT a lot better. Tried 'em both one right after the other. That's not to say that the Cube was bad or anything, I just though that the Vox was decidedly better.

NPauly
September 12th, 2006, 11:46 PM
I know that this is an ancient thread, but I'm new here and I can't resist putting in my two cents. :)

Anyway, the Roland Cube amps are huge here in NYC with jazz guitarists. I see them as often as I see Polytones and JC120s. And from what I've heard the Roland Cubes have an amazing Jazz tone. Most people use the JC120 model, but the Dyna-amp model is very popular too. I mixed a concert last year featuring Russell Malone, Buckey Pizzarelli, Gene Bertoncini, Frank Vignola, Jay Leonhart, & Wycliffe Gordon in which main amp used by all the performers during their solo sets was Russell's own Cube 60. When they jammed together there was a mix of Polytones, JC120s, the Roland Cube 60 and a Fender Twin.

Just my 2 cents ...
Nick

Spudman
September 13th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Roland has a couple of video demo's on their web site for the Cube 60. You might enjoy this.
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=640&ParentId=57