PDA

View Full Version : Well its about time you all started listening to....

SuperSwede
December 29th, 2005, 02:34 PM
....Mike Stern! :)

I know that I always mention him but you should know that he is a very good guitarist and songwriter. Mike has played with many jazz musicians over the years, Miles Davis for example. I recommend for a first listen "You Never Know" from the album "Between the lines".
If you didnt think you that you liked fusion-jazz, then check out that album.
Mike has a really mysterious sound from his Telecaster, chorus delay and the best fuzz I´ve ever heard!

You can buy it on iTunes music store (only 99c / song) if you want, or perhaps find it *ahem* somewhere else.

Nelskie
December 29th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Hey Swede - thanks for sharing Mike Stern with us. I love fusion-based guitar music, and count some of Jeff Beck's early / mid 70's forays into the jazz-fusion scene as some of my favorites (Wired / Blow By Blow / There And Back). I think I might have already mentioned them in another HYH post. This sounds like a really interesting listen, esp. considering that Mike does his thing playing a Fender Telecaster - an instrument usually favored amongst blues, rock & country players. If you dig that fusion stuff, though, I'd highly recommend any one of those (3) Beck albums.

SuperSwede
December 30th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Thanks Nelskie,

I am a big fan of early Jeff Beck too, I think you will find many similarites with Mike Stern.
Yamaha have done a Mike Stern signature tele, it looks so damn nice :

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%253D60155%2526CTID%253D600012,00.html

Do I have to say that I really would want one ;)

Nelskie
December 30th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Time to start saving those Euros, my friend (that is what you guys use for currency, right?)

SuperSwede
December 30th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Nope, we still have our own currency here (swedish krona), and the damn guitar cost over 12000 of them ;)
(About 1500 USD)

Robert
December 30th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Yeah, Mike Stern is one of the best. I've seen him live in Sweden, and he was fabulous. I love his CD "Standards And Other Songs", and also his early work with Jaco Pastorius. A must listen for anyone interested in jazz guitar with a modern sound.

SuperSwede
December 31st, 2005, 04:22 AM
Could it have been at Nefertite in Gothenburg 1996 Robert?

Robert
January 1st, 2006, 06:07 PM
No, it was at Umea Jazz Festival, around 1996-97 I think.

SuperSwede
January 2nd, 2006, 05:42 AM
Must have been the same set as I saw (Dave Weckl on drums) in Gothenburg 96 then, it was fantastic!

Spudman
January 27th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Hey SS (Super Swede).

Those are my initals by the way.
Do you listen to Roine Stolt of The Flower Kings? They are from Uppsala Sweden and are getting ready to release a new double album and do a European tour with one date in the USA this spring. Awesomely tasteful guitarist and songwriter. He has played on hundreds of records in Sweden.

Just curious if you knew who he was and if he ever came to your city?

SuperSwede
January 27th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Yeah he is quite famous here, but I have never seen Flower Kings live. I know that he does a lot of jobs as a studio guitarist as well.

Spudman
February 3rd, 2006, 07:54 PM
For all you fans out there....Stryper just released a new album in 2005. It's rock and sounds really good. Heavy, contemporary and not overly Christian. It's called of course, "Reborn." I've been previewing it while writing this and I like it enough to get it.

Def Leppard released one in January. It's all covers and they do a good job with obscure cool songs. The drumming sounds really good. Big improvement. I guess Rick has been designing some new triggers or something. His licks sound like a 4 armed drummer and the sound is real drums not the electronic kit he used in the past.

Just FYI.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
February 3rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
Havn't heard the leppard album , but i'm gonna look for it tomorrow , always loved that band .. killer sound and amazing bottom end , having mutt lang didnt hurt either .. thanks for the heads up SPUD ..6S9L

x-180
March 11th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Great to see Mr. Stern getting some recognition. His signature guitar is definitely on my wish list... (as crowded as that list can be at times...)
X-180

r_a_smith3530
March 11th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Yamaha have done a Mike Stern signature tele, it looks so damn nice :

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%253D60155%2526CTID%253D600012,00.html

Do I have to say that I really would want one ;)

Wow, that looks like what I did with my Peavey Reactor. A Gibson PAF (he used a '59) in the bridge position, mixed with a Duncan Hot Lead (he used a Hot Rail) in the bridge. SS, you couldn't go too far wrong with that combo, especially iof the lead is tapped and you've got a five way switch!

Start saving. It's mac-n-cheese for a while!

SuperSwede
March 12th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Start saving..... well, there is three guitars that I am currently interested in so perhaps I´ll have to skip the cheese as well.