PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first bass!

oldguy
January 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I bought a Squier Precision bass! I love it!

Robert
January 16th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Good looking family there! Congrats!

oldguy
January 16th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Robert. I love the sound of it. I posted a clip in the recording section that I used it on. It plays great also!:D

Tone2TheBone
January 17th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Cool. Squier basses aren't too shabby I love my Squier Jazz. Is yours solid black or the metallic black?

oldguy
January 17th, 2007, 10:26 AM
It's the metallic black, Tone. From the basses I tried, it seemed to play the best and have the best sound. Since I've never played bass, though, I'm not qualified to say, it was just the best deal I could find. I definitely like it, no bass sim I've tried on any pedal gets the real bass sound, and most don't track the note true, IMO. They "warble" trying to find the pitch and stay locked on, especially w/ two notes or more in unison.

Tone2TheBone
January 17th, 2007, 10:33 AM
It's the metallic black, Tone. From the basses I tried, it seemed to play the best and have the best sound. Since I've never played bass, though, I'm not qualified to say, it was just the best deal I could find. I definitely like it, no bass sim I've tried on any pedal gets the real bass sound, and most don't track the note true, IMO. They "warble" trying to find the pitch and stay locked on, especially w/ two notes or more in unison.

You got a good bass there OG. You're gonna love recording with it. :DR

r_a_smith3530
January 24th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Lookin' good there, especially with a '51 sitting next to it. The picture showed up a tad dark on my screen, so I couldn't tell for sure, but it looks like it has both P and J pickups. Is that correct? If so, that is one of the nicest pickup combinations I have ever found.

Anyway, I was over at one of the local guitar shops tonight, and they had taken in a Squier five string P-Bass. Very pretty, but talk about a wide neck! The neck on this bass was wider than a six string Peavey they had.

I too acquired a new bass today, but I'll save that for its own thread.

Thump loudly!

r_a_smith3530
February 11th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Say, oldguy, how's things comin' with your bass? Now that you've had it almost a month, what do you think of it? Was I right that it's a P-J setup? Give us an update.

oldguy
February 11th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Say, oldguy, how's things comin' with your bass? Now that you've had it almost a month, what do you think of it? Was I right that it's a P-J setup? Give us an update.

I'm happy with it, Rob. Yes, it is a P/J setup, and gets some nice sounds. I've adjusted the truss rod once, it plays more to my liking with just a tad bit of neck relief. Since I never played bass before this, I just lowered the strings and adjusted the neck to where it felt good to me.
Of course, I'm now GASSing for a good portable bass amp so I can take it with me and practice more when I'm around friends. :D

warren0728
February 12th, 2007, 02:59 AM
glad you are still liking your bass...i notice that alot of you guitar fretters (six-string) also have bass guitars....might have to get me one (although i should learn how to play the six stringers better first!

ww

oldguy
February 12th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Well, on the one hand Warren, the bass is 2 strings less to learn...:D
On the other hand, on guitar you might miss a beat and nobody notices...
on bass, it gets noticed pretty quick if you drop the beat and the bottom falls out...:R
But I do think you need a bass, Warren, you really do...:DR

warren0728
February 12th, 2007, 09:50 AM
But I do think you need a bass, Warren, you really do...:DR
hey i've got a couple of ukuleles so i am technically covered in the 4 stringed instrument category! :D

of course if i get a bass i will have to get a bass amp too....don't want to blow up my guitar amps! :eek:

ww

oldguy
February 12th, 2007, 09:55 AM
hey i've got a couple of ukuleles so i am technically covered in the 4 stringed instrument category! :D

of course if i get a bass i will have to get a bass amp too....don't want to blow up my guitar amps! :eek:

ww

I understand your predicament. Perhaps you need a fiddle instead, (or violin, if you prefer). Again, only 4 strings to learn, only upside down. G,D,A,E, top to bottom. Once you master the bowing technique, you only need to deal with the scale length.:p

warren0728
February 12th, 2007, 10:03 AM
i think i will try and learn this darn guitar thing first....but i probably will get a bass sometime...but it is not high on my gear list!

ww

oldguy
February 12th, 2007, 10:10 AM
i think i will try and learn this darn guitar thing first....but i probably will get a bass sometime...but it is not high on my gear list!

ww

Bass is a nice instrument... I think you will like it.:rolleyes:

pie_man_25
April 7th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I dunno, I don't like squiers much, I played a couple, not worth buying for me though. Just didn't sound good.