PDA

View Full Version : I hear that train...

oldguy
January 16th, 2007, 06:10 PM
A' wreckin'! :D Just goofin'. I bought a Squier Precision bass and wanted to try it out, man, I love it, even though I'm no bass player, I love the tone.
Anyway, I made this clip with it.:) Oops! She went off the tracks and crashed there right at the end. :eek:

http://www.box.net/public/e1y5q7yarc

sunvalleylaw
January 16th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Hi Glenn, nice to hear from you! That rocked! I liked the drag strip, Mach V thing at the end!

Spudman
January 16th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Woa! Way cool and kinda trippy. Made me feel a little hyper and spacey at the same time.

Robert
January 16th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, move over - step aside, train conductor! Nice high gain sound there, and way cool playing! You rock, Glenn.

snarph
January 17th, 2007, 07:53 AM
so what were you using for the guitar track?

oldguy
January 17th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Switch Innovo IV, Digitech RP-250, Danelectro Daddy-O, Bad Monkey, Dunlop steel slide.

SuperSwede
January 17th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Oldguy! (or should we call ya Bootsy!?)
That was really refreshing to hear!

Tone2TheBone
January 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM
OG - Excellent man! Thanks for sending me the file that sounded cool! And with your new bass too yee hawwww. I loved the ending!

Lev
January 17th, 2007, 11:20 AM
That bass sounds great - I want one - more freakin' GAS!!
Nice track Glenn, loved the heavy guitar sound.

warren0728
January 17th, 2007, 12:00 PM
man that was great old guy....i really like the slide stuff....did you do the slide work in standard tuning or an open tuning?

ww

oldguy
January 17th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks, everybody. Bootsy? No way! I played the bass line as fast as I could manage without totally losing it, and saved it to the looper so I didn't have to try playing it 3 min., I'm pretty sure I'd mess it up.:p I used both the pickups w/ a Twin preset. I did the rest w/o "cheating", though.:D
The slide part was in standard tuning. It's in the key of A, sort of a 5th chord thing, so letting the A string ring open holds it together while I used the slide. Lots of gain there helped also.
I'd never used the pedal steel slide on 6 str. electric before. Just sort of cradled it in my hand underneath the neck and slid it. It's heavy enough that no downpressure is needed, just barely touch it to the strings.
I was thinking of the sound of the drivers hammering faster than they could tolerate on an old steam locomotive (bass), the whistle blowing, train losing control, panic. I guess that sound could space you out coming from a distance, until you figured out what is was, then you'd be hyper!

ted s
January 17th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Cool Glenn, very cool.

Hogfullofblues
January 17th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Cool! Made me think of Hendrix's heaven and earth concept with that tight driving bass line and heavy guitar over the top. Felt the train, great playing, and loved the ending too. FretNet CD material there, my man. Well done!