PDA

View Full Version : How to Break Your Floyd Without Really Trying

marnold
April 13th, 2020, 12:11 PM
While messing around on my Jackson yesterday, I found one problem with using four springs and 9s. I pulled up on the bar. I didn't think I went crazy, but all of the sudden two of the four springs fell out. It was a bit of a pain to get them back in again. I may have to go to three springs and see if the tension is good enough for me.

tjcurtin1
April 14th, 2020, 09:05 PM
I would think that breaking your Floyd (is that a euphemism?) would cause plenty of tension all by itself... I hate when that happens :rolleyes:

marnold
April 16th, 2020, 03:32 PM
I would think that breaking your Floyd (is that a euphemism?)

If it isn't, it should be!

marnold
April 18th, 2020, 09:27 AM
I also noticed that after that, my bridge was crooked, with the treble side being farther off the body than the bass side. I was able to push it back into place, which leads me to believe that the mounting stud or the insert pulled out a bit. I don't think it would be a huge issue since the tension will be toward the nut instead of away from the body of the guitar.

marnold
October 10th, 2020, 01:40 PM
Well, after all this time I finally got around to going to three springs and refloating it. It wasn't that hard actually. I found that the handle of one of my screwdrivers made a perfect block for the trem. With three springs it seems to have plenty of resistance, which I like. I also like being able to palm mute without the bridge moving. I'll test it some more but I think it's a keeper this way. Then I'll have to decide if I want to put two new holes in the trem cavity for my trem stop.

Robert
October 19th, 2020, 10:50 AM
Yeah palm muting with the bridge moving is very important! Good to hear the update from you. Rawk on!