PDA

View Full Version : Ruined!

marnold
May 2nd, 2020, 08:06 PM
I decided to try out Dunlop's Marcus Miller bass strings. I got the set in the mail today. I trimmed the low E string to put them on, only to realize to my horror that I didn't pay close enough attention. I cut it far too short. So for the time being I have a three string bass. I reached out to Dunlop about getting a single string from them.

Mind you, I've been playing bass since the mid 80s. :thwap

Zip
May 3rd, 2020, 07:11 PM
Sorry to hear, but I've gotta ask - why cut strings BEFORE they're wound around the tuner?

(I've played bass since the late '70's - yes, I'm that old ;))

Zip
May 3rd, 2020, 07:12 PM

marnold
May 7th, 2020, 06:00 PM
Sorry to hear, but I've gotta ask - why cut strings BEFORE they're wound around the tuner?

It's the vintage style tuner where you put the string into the hole in the middle of the post first, then wrap it around the post. In general I prefer them to standard tuners because it is easier to string and unstring. Here is one notable exception.

They look just like these tuners:
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Zoom/10001/9235000565_gtr_hdstckfrt_001_nr.png

marnold
May 7th, 2020, 06:00 PM

It's the vintage style tuner where you put the string into the hole in the middle of the post first, then wrap it around the post. In general I prefer them to standard tuners because it is easier to string and unstring. Here is one notable exception.

They look just like these tuners:
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Zoom/10001/9235000565_gtr_hdstckfrt_001_nr.png

marnold
May 8th, 2020, 09:57 AM
Just got an email from Dunlop. They're going to send me a replacement string! That's pretty awesome customer service, especially since I made it clear that the fault was mine and not their product's.

Robert
May 8th, 2020, 11:21 PM
Nice resolution of this conundrum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjcurtin1
May 10th, 2020, 07:49 PM
"Mind you, I've been playing bass since the mid 80s."

Ah, that explains it...:rolleyes:

tjcurtin1
May 10th, 2020, 07:50 PM
"Mind you, I've been playing bass since the mid 80s."

Ah, that explains it...:rolleyes: