PDA

View Full Version : warning retro content

helliott
June 2nd, 2020, 06:49 PM
Line 6 put out a new amp in the Helix 2.8 firmware update, called the Fullerton, intended to honour early combo amps with the Fender logo. Available in normal, bright and jump (jumped cables combining both). When I first heard it I thought it was fine, but then in the next update they added a Fullerton cab, and I was sold. Sounds really interesting clean, which I am exploring, but when you default to factory settings, damned if it doesn't sound a whole lot like a really old Fender amp, dimed, speakers fluttering, hence the Fullerton CA naming.

So this is entirely a little retro clip recalling 78-82 or so. I don't have one of my old fender amps to compare it to, but oh boy, turned up a bit with decent speakers, this ain't far off.

https://app.box.com/s/4okedruwbof3dsec65wju1kkhoo091d8

tjcurtin1
June 2nd, 2020, 08:32 PM
Woohoo! Raisin' some hair there! Sounds GREAT!

marnold
June 3rd, 2020, 08:22 AM
I'm no expert on those amphs but it sounds great to me!

helliott
June 3rd, 2020, 06:05 PM
Thanks for listening guys. And oh yeah, I forgot its amph, not amp. I don't typically enter the digital vs tube debate, which I think is pretty much over, but in some cases, like this, what folks like line 6 have done is amazing.

marnold
June 5th, 2020, 08:02 PM
Thanks for listening guys. And oh yeah, I forgot its amph, not amp.

Gotta keep traditions alive!

Jipes
June 6th, 2020, 02:35 AM
Sounds great to my ears a nice 70's rock'nroll sound

helliott
June 6th, 2020, 02:39 PM
Yeah, actually had a bit of a time travel thing when I first played that rhythm riff through the Fullerton amph (got it right that time!). I played it at room volume and my ears perked up, then cranked the master up a fair bit, and I thought, holy sxxxx, I remember that. Cool.

stingx
June 6th, 2020, 06:40 PM
Not sure how closely this matches up but it sounds great to me. Some really gritty meaty sound!
!

stingx
June 6th, 2020, 06:40 PM
Not sure how closely this matches up but it sounds great to me. Some really gritty meaty sound!

helliott
June 6th, 2020, 08:43 PM
Truthfully I don't know either, given those old amphs are gone, but aside from an A/b test, my gut says it is pretty clse

Robert
June 10th, 2020, 11:23 AM
Hey that sounds like an old school amph fo sure!

helliott
June 10th, 2020, 06:16 PM
I look in my crowded basement and I know I couldn't have kept all that stuff. And yet, some of the gear I let go over 40 or so years ... oy....