PDA

View Full Version : static from pick guard ?

ted s
January 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM
What do you think ? My Nashville seems to generate some anoying static scratchiness if I rub the pick guard. Seems worse if I have the middle p/u switched in.
What say yee ?

thanks

Ted

ted s
January 17th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Sorry, gotta learn to search before asking.. :rolleyes:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1144&highlight=static

duhvoodooman
January 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Sorry, gotta learn to search before asking.. :rolleyes:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1144&highlight=static
The search button is your friend! :D

This is the time of year you'll run into this--humidity levels in cold climates can get really low, making static a much bigger problem. Besides the obvious guitar grounding enhancements, rubbing down the pickguard with a clothes dryer anti-cling sheet really does work very well!

ted s
January 17th, 2007, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=duhvoodooman]The search button is your friend! :D

Ya, but the search button doesn't send any :D

Plank_Spanker
January 17th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Use a "Bounce" dryer cloth to drain the static. Or.........................humidify the room you play in.

I get that once in a while on very dry days.

ted s
September 1st, 2007, 08:15 PM
Well, we've past the most humid season here, I still have it. I'm going to have to rule out lack of humidity and start pointing to the pick guard material itself. The bounce sheet does rectify for a period though.
Love the guitar but the pick guard drives me nuts. My $99 Jay Turser Strat never has a static issue.. go figure.. :rolleyes:

Highway_61
November 20th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I can't play Strats for that reason, and none of the folk remedies (Bounce sheet, anti-cling laundry spray, anti-static electronics spray, etc.) will prevent it. Shielding the cavity does not help. Those things work for a lot of people, and those things work so well for so many people, that those people become convinced that those things will work for everyone--but they won't.

AND just like your guitar, ted s, it's only on the middle Strat pickup of my Nashville Tele that I have a static problem.
However, though the entire guard can become charged on a Strat pickguard, I isolated the problem on my Tele to being present only when my finger brushed against (in my case) the lower mounting screw of the Strat pup.

I cut a very small piece of black electrical tape and covered the head of the screw. That solved the problem.

Try that and see if it works for you.

ted s
November 21st, 2007, 06:15 AM
Yes, lower screw, same here. Something I've tried since posting above, under the pickguard, I made a wire connection between that blasted middle pup screw and the tone/switch plate. The static from the guard is less but the popping and cracking from touching that screw is GONE.

Tone2TheBone
November 21st, 2007, 09:30 AM
I can't play Strats for that reason, and none of the folk remedies (Bounce sheet, anti-cling laundry spray, anti-static electronics spray, etc.) will prevent it. Shielding the cavity does not help. Those things work for a lot of people, and those things work so well for so many people, that those people become convinced that those things will work for everyone--but they won't.

Sure it does. Works like a charm. Then again static is probably subjective also. :D

Vinni Smith
November 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM
This may be stupid asking but I will anyway. Do all Strats have the metal foil on the underside of the pickguard? I recently changed my pickguard on a new one and transferred the metal backing. This guitar does not have static at all. I know what you are complaining about because I have had guitars in the past that do this. That drives me nuts!

vinni

ted s
November 22nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks for reminding me Vinni, I keep meaning to do that with my Tele, it has none but cheapi Strat does, go figure..

chordshredder
November 22nd, 2007, 05:19 PM
You might like these, I had good results.

http://www.monteallums.com/sheilding_supplies.html#pickguard

ted s
November 22nd, 2007, 05:39 PM
good to know, thanks chordshredder

Highway_61
November 22nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
Sure it does. Works like a charm. Then again static is probably subjective also. :D

No, sorry; it won't.
It must work 99.9 % of the time or people wouldn't recommend it to others, but those things will not work for me.
I promise you that I have tried. I truly think I have a bit of an electrical charge. I get a spark when I put the key into the lock of my front door when I come home. I get a spark when I get out of my car.
I have tried all of the remedies, and I can testify that "always" (as in this remedy will always work) does not apply.

Tone2TheBone
November 22nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
I'm as electrically charged as you...same thing...get out of the truck, touch the body and zizzz get the shock. I'm surprised I haven't blown up while gassing up but I swear to you that rubbing bounce sheets on a pickguard and properly shielding your guitar cavity and pickguard should help. I would agree with you with that 99.9 % figure though...for what it's worth. *shrugs*

chordshredder
November 23rd, 2007, 08:02 AM
Highway;
we had some carpet at work that was shocking everyone, we had rubber covers on the door knobs even. we started spraying the room every day with a fine mist from a trigger head spray bottle with a concotion of one drop of liquid detergent per gallon it helped a lot. you might try that if you have carpet.

Highway_61
November 24th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Hey, you guys are great: differences of opinion don't automatically become heated arguments here. That's very much appreciated.