PDA

View Full Version : Monkey and DS-1 (or other distortion) settings

sunvalleylaw
January 17th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Well, in the last coupla weeks I picked up my first two pedals (Boss DS-1, and Digitech Bad Monkey). I have been playing around with the DS-1 a week or so on its own with my Peavey Classic 30 and strat. Using the clean channel. Last night, added the monkey, after the DS-1 before the amp. Fiddled around with both pedals (amp set clean, trem on and off at 5 and other tone amp tone levels at 5). Main volume at 3 (It was late). Messed around both together, and tried the levels for the Monkey suggested by its online demo. I got all the above ideas from reading threads here, and by corresponding with Spud. (Thanks, Potato man!)

I settled in on a setting I really liked for a song I am just learning, "Wish you were here" by PF. (intro and verse chords at this point, not so much the solos yet).

I found a setting that gave me what I felt was a great tone for the song. Amp set as above, trem off, Monkey with level and high at 12, low at about almost 2, gain at 1:30; DS-1 set with level at 12, tone at 10, distortion at about 8:43. Strat>DS-1>Monkey>amp. Loved it!

Beyond the settings suggested by the BM demo, and the DS-1 instructions, can anyone give me some starting points for types of music, particular songs (any songs, I am willing to learn anything), etc., especially in combination? Don't worry, I won't (probably) get hung up on someone else's settings, just want to get some starting points. Remember, I've had the amp less than a month too, and I have it's settings to explore! Thanks guys for your help to the enthusiastic, spastic newbie! :DR :D :R

(Hey, there's a band name for one of you guys, The Enthusiastic Spastics!)

No offense intended! :)

sunvalleylaw
March 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM
The below discussion fits here better. Anyone care to continue discussing? I also am adding a Boss CE-5 chorus into the mix. I have the rate and depth set at around 2 and like to use it alone, or in combination with the Monkey for rhythm. Adding the DS-1 tends to muddy it up to much for me for chords and rhythm, at least for me.

{Discussion from other thread starts below}

MPsound

The DS-1 is a bit thin on it's own. The Monkey adds some good tone to it. I've been running the Monkey with gain around 2-3, but the DS-1 lower 10-11.

Yesterday, 08:50 PM #16
sunvalleylaw
Contributing Member

I am using them that way. I play around with the tone settings on the Monkey, and alternate the gain on the DS-1 between 2 or 3 and around 10. I tend to leave leave the DS-1 tone knob set at 9 or 10.

__________________________________________________ ______
Quote:
Originally Posted by M29
Hello All,

I recently acquired a DS-1 off the bay. I found it a bit thin sounding. But put in front of the monkey it sounds great!! Do you guys find a sweet spot with each pedals gain on about 2 or 3 somewhere near there? Mine just smooths out and is very responsive. I really like the treble and bass control it really helps dial in the tone and helped me thicken up the DS-1. The only problem is if I want to go clean I have to shut both off instead of one.

I love em!

M29
_______________________________________Spud said:

I really like that combo myself.
If you want to be able to shut both distortions down quickly try an inexpensive loop selector pedal such as the Behringer AB100 or AB200. If you put them on their own loop you can shut them down with one pedal stomp.

"hey i wouldn't mind if it smelled like pancakes!!" ww

_____________________________________M29 said in response to MPsound's question about which Vox amp models m29 used with the pedals:

M29
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info guys, I will check into that loop selector Spud, sounds like what I need.

I haven't messed with this setup (ds-1/monkey) much yet as I use it mainly with my Power Block that I only play ocasionally in the basement when no one is home. My ad50vt has so much versatility in the way of distortion and overdrive that I usually don't use my pedals with it. I have tried it and it sounded good but I would like to try it longer with the Vox before I comment on what it is like to be fair. I have heard that the ing amps are not that fond of overdrive pedals but I am not experienced enough yet to make judgment on this.

I recently did do a (Rectifier CMAT Tri-Gain Mod) Monte Allums mod to the DS-1 which thickened it up some and smoothed and increased the distortion some. A nice mod to upgrade the DS-1. I would like it smoother yet though, why is it that most of us want it smooth and the pedal companies don't make em like that? I guess they do if you want to spend the money and the DS-1 is quite old now days. I haven't been playing long and I won't go into a guitar center and let anyone hear me play so I don't get to try pedals out before I buy.

I do have to say though, I am getting enough experience now to really enjoy my ad50vt. I have had it a year now and I am just starting to zero in on certain settings that I like. A great little amp indeed.
If I do use the DS-1 or Monkey with the ad50vt I use it on a clean amp such as the Tweed or Boutique clean.

Thanks guys.

M29