PDA

View Full Version : Hey, You Graphics Gurus--HELP!!

duhvoodooman
January 18th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I'm laying out the graphics for my soon-to-be-completed Zonkin' Yellow Screamer overdrive pedal. Looking for good ideas on how to do the pedal graphics & good web sources for same. From what I've read, looks like my best bet is to buy water-slide decal paper and run it through a color printer, apply to the enclosure, and then spray over it with clearcoat. Below is my mockup, so far. The knob labeling is no big deal, but I'd like to have the "Zonkin' Yellow Screamer " graphic look cool. This one is generated from an online font site. I know I can find a better version of the Munch "Scream" graphics; just used these to show the basic idea I had.

Feedback/ ideas??

Tone2TheBone
January 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Looks good to me. I told you I did a similar "template" for future pedal projects (yeah right as if I had the time) using CorelDraw. I was inspired by your enthusiasm. I think what you did came out good. Are you considering enamel paint and then baking the boxes inside a kiln or something? Someone else told me that a powder coat finish would look good on a pedal too.

Also thinking about it....I think handpainted lettering and graphics would look cool too.

duhvoodooman
January 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I bought a prepainted (powdercoat) yellow enclosure, so all I have to do is put the graphics on. See photo below, showing the original enclosure (too small for the mods I added) plus the new one.

I don't trust my artistic skills enough to attempt handpainting!

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/ZYS_WIP.jpg

Tone2TheBone
January 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Oh I see....pretty cool. The water slide decal idea would be the thing to do then. What brand of clear coat do you plan on using? Where did you get that pre-painted enclosure?

duhvoodooman
January 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Thought I'd use Krylon clear acrylic spray, since we have it in spray cans right here where I work. The enclosure came from Small Bear Electronics (http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=564).

duhvoodooman
January 18th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Here's a mo' better mockup:

warren0728
January 18th, 2007, 05:06 PM
i like it much better with the one screamer dude instead of two!

ww

Tone2TheBone
January 18th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Yeah me too AND you gotta put your name on there! Make your name bigger.

Hogfullofblues
January 18th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Too cool. Do be careful with the clear over the decal. Having done this type of thing for years with auto paints, sometimes it works like a charm, sometimes the chemicals involved just do not get along. Powdercoat is usually quite stable and inert, but test panel with the decal/ink and clear might be a good idea. Can't wait to see and hear it!

duhvoodooman
January 18th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Too cool. Do be careful with the clear over the decal. Having done this type of thing for years with auto paints, sometimes it works like a charm, sometimes the chemicals involved just do not get along. Powdercoat is usually quite stable and inert, but test panel with the decal/ink and clear might be a good idea. Can't wait to see and hear it!
Yup, I'm very aware of that. Will do a test run or two before doing the "real thing"!

Here's my latest mockup. Bigger & better font for "Duh Voodoo Man", and I cleaned up the color on the Scream image some....

kerc
January 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
That's damn cool, man! :D