PDA

View Full Version : String Action Set-Up

Tim
December 30th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I have a question on string action. How does everybody measure their stings above the frets on your guitars?

I just recently set up my Squire Tele Custom guitar. I followed the instructions that were given to me in another thread. See Set-up Measurements under "Squire" . (Thanks to all who contributed)

First I set the neck relief to about .012. I then measured the distance between the top of each fret and the bottom of each string with a 6” steel ruler marked in 64ths. I set all 6 strings height at 5/64s. Lastly, I set the intonation to just about perfect.

Since that time I noticed that my tone sounded a little dirty (distorted) while playing rhythm cords. I kind of put it all back into my mind and left everything as is since I know I play a little harder than other players.

Just the other day I was reading through a guitar setup book which stated that on setting up string action it is best to set up the two outside strings to the desired height. Then set the remaining string height by using a radius dial.

I then began to re-inspect the Tele Custom using a 7.25” radius dial. I was shocked at how low the four inner strings where to the fret board. I raised the strings to match the radius dial. Now my rhythm cord strumming is clear as a bell.

I was wondering how everyone else adjusts their string action on their guitars.

Katastrophe
December 30th, 2005, 11:11 AM
I usually check it out by sight, feel, trial and error. I don't play around with truss rod adjustments too much, but action heights I just eyeball. Every once and a while I'll take the guitar in to get a full inspection and adjustment by a pro. It certainly costs more, but the difference in playability is well worth it!

When I gigged regularly in my younger days, I had a tech set up my guitars 1-2 days before a show. It was cheap insurance. After I started doing that, no more broken strings, and I could switch guitars because I wanted to, not because I had to.