PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky frets after a Lemon Oil?!

Scott_Hodgskin
July 3rd, 2021, 03:02 PM
Hey,

After I lemon oil 65'd the fretboard in my Epiphone Les Paul Special, I got really squeaky frets. Like after you've done the dishes, squeaky-clean feeling. So when bending, my finger stumbles across the fret, instead of gliding.

I cleaned off the frets with some naptha and they're back to being fine.

But what gives?! The fretboard is Indian Laurel. Lemon Oil 65 is supposed to be great stuff, but just made my frets feel too clean and squeaky

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

tjcurtin1
July 5th, 2021, 08:21 PM
I wonder if the 'grab' you were feeling was between your fingers and the wood of the fretboard, and not the frets themselves. I've used lemon oil before and not had this experience. Oily frets should be very slippery, but oily wood can sometimes act like wet wood and have some friction.

Scott_Hodgskin
July 6th, 2021, 10:30 AM
Yes, I meant the fretboard rather than the frets themselves.

Grab is a very good description! Why do people use oils on the fretboard if it causes additional friction or grab?

marnold
July 9th, 2021, 06:42 AM
Yes, I meant the fretboard rather than the frets themselves.

Grab is a very good description! Why do people use oils on the fretboard if it causes additional friction or grab?

Because if the fretboard is not sealed (like maple necks are) the fretboard can dry out, crack, give you pointy fret ends, etc. My guess would be you used too much. You just need a little on a cloth. Rub it in and then rub any excess off. As they said in days of yore: a little dab'll do ya.

Scott_Hodgskin
July 9th, 2021, 06:53 AM
Because if the fretboard is not sealed (like maple necks are) the fretboard can dry out, crack, give you pointy fret ends, etc. My guess would be you used too much. You just need a little on a cloth. Rub it in and then rub any excess off. As they said in days of yore: a little dab'll do ya.Awesome. I'll try again!

Robert
July 9th, 2021, 09:28 PM
I usually use my right hand to rub it down a few times, to remove any excess oil.