PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Healey

Spudman
January 18th, 2007, 10:46 PM
If you have never heard Jeff Healey you are in for a treat. If you've heard him you might not have seen this version of "See The Light." Featuring Dr. John - Omar Hakim - Marcus Miller.

Totally smoking live version. http://youtube.com/watch?v=bPqlRcInrwI

sunvalleylaw
January 18th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks! Hadn't heard of him in a while and was recently thinking about him.

Big K
January 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM
that boy can play dem blues!:D

Spudman
January 20th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I had recently heard from somewhere that he is currently battling cancer. I thought it appropriate to promote some awareness.

Ro3b
January 20th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Fantastic! So what's his story? Looking at him, it seems like such a logical way to play the guitar -- much more so than hanging it sideways around your neck.

warren0728
January 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I had recently heard from somewhere that he is currently battling cancer. I thought it appropriate to promote some awareness.
yes he is....i believe lung cancer...they removed part of his lungs...

awesome player...i have a couple of his albums and a dvd of him too.

ww

t_ross33
January 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Go Canuckistan! ! Yeah, Jeff's the shizit. I read an interview with SRV back in the early 90s and he said Jeff was going to revolutionize the way people thought about playing guitar (not than anyone hadn't played it lap-style before).

Unfortunately he never really broke thru in the US (so typical of many Canadian artists). He had a part in Patrick Swayze's "Roadhouse" even. I thought that movie had potential until the monster truck scene towards the end... downhill from there. You'd think they were in a hurry to finish it :rolleyes: Great soundtrack though :cool:

From what I've heard, he has been amassing an extensive jazz collection (he's a pretty good jazz sax player as I recall).

Too bad about the health issues -- man, that sucks (been through that with both my parents, not good).

Anyway, he's a gem, anyway you look at it.

Spudman
January 27th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I have to put this back out front again. It is such an incredible lineup and they way they tear the song up is so energized. If you haven't seen it yet - watch it.
Marcus Miller, Omar Hakim, Dr. John, Jeff Healey

ted s
January 27th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Apparently the surgery was successful. I believe it was a form of cancer that cost him his sight as a child as well. I also heard that in the past few years he has also has to have surgery on his leg(s) for the same beast. Or so I hear.

Robert
January 27th, 2007, 10:42 PM
What a guy. Sad to hear about his health - his an amazing artist and he has inspired a lot of people, that's for sure.

He has a blues or jazz club in Toronto, doesn't he?

t_ross33
January 28th, 2007, 12:03 AM
He has a blues or jazz club in Toronto, doesn't he?

Jazz. Healy's. 178 Bathurst St.

Jimi75
January 28th, 2007, 11:31 AM
It is so sad to hear that he suffers from lung cancer.

Jeff is a true talent, I always loved his stuff and his tasteful guitar playing.
I have a version of Jimi's "Angel" played by Jeff and it is unbelievably good!

tot_Ou_tard
January 29th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Spectacular!

Does anyone know what the Japanese subtitles say?

Spudman
January 29th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Spectacular!

Does anyone know what the Japanese subtitles say?

Ya. It's information for timeshares in Osaka.

doomhauer
January 29th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I think Healy was the first blues player I ever heard, probably around the age of 3 - and he remains one of my favourites today, great clip !

oldguy
January 30th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Fantastic clip, Spud! Thanks!

Sad to hear about his illness. Here's hoping for a recovery, he has been one of my favorites for a long time. Phenomenal talent.

Spudman
January 30th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I remember when he debuted on the Johnny Carson Show. Johnny said, "we don't normally do this, but lets get Jeff back out here for one more song." I guessed he was pretty impressed too.

Tinky-Winky
February 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM
That was great! I've never heard of this man, but I really like his guitar playing, and boy does he get "into" the song.