PDA

View Full Version : tele pick guard question..

ted s
January 19th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I haven't had her apart yet, I'm guessing the pups are mounted to the pick guard ? The neck pup seems loose on one end (bass), actually rattles around if shaken not stirred. If I tighten enough to eliminate the slack, it's too close to the string. Maybe a missing spring ? Also, is the bridge pup hight adjustable ? The are 3 screws but I assumed they were mounting the bridge ?

thanks

Ted

Spudman
January 19th, 2007, 11:27 PM
The three bridge screws are height adjustment screws and tilt.

On most Tele's you have to take the pickguard off to adjust the neck pickup height. Do you on yours? Either way you are going to have to get under there to take a look. If the spring is toast or too short and you need more spring find an old pen that clicks. Take it apart and scavenge the spring from it and then add it to the existing pickup spring. Stack them. If it is too long cut it in half with dykes or a wire cutter and use the other half on the other end of the pickup. That way the tension will be balanced and you won't ever have to worry about it again.

I hope that answers your question.

tot_Ou_tard
January 20th, 2007, 09:10 AM
If the spring is toast or too short and you need more spring find an old pen that clicks. Take it apart and scavenge the spring from it and then add it to the existing pickup spring. Stack them. If it is too long cut it in half with dykes or a wire cutter and use the other half on the other end of the pickup. That way the tension will be balanced and you won't ever have to worry about it again.

Nice call McGiver!

I've gotta hunt down an old pen or two for a coupl'a saddle adjustment screws.

By the way, is your new avatar

Spudleg in Space?

It's hard to tell.

Spudman
January 20th, 2007, 12:44 PM
ToT. That is Mr. Spud standing in his fruit of the looms.

ted s
January 25th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Upon further investigation.. it appears that the MIM Tele's use Mexican springs under the pups.. AKA looks like surgical rubber tubing, which I suppose would be great and last a long time assuming it was high quality stuff . The side in question is just too short. Now where is a clicker pen I can sacrifice ?

ted s
February 12th, 2007, 11:22 AM
As far as sheilding the pick guard.. would that aluminized ? foil tape work applied to the inside of the guard. The static is driving me freaking nuts. I have a humidifier running in the room, it's better but still anoying. The stuff I have isn't conductive on the sticky side, .. hmm. I think I just answered myself.. ?

duhvoodooman
February 12th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Ted, wipe down the pickguard with a clothes dryer antistatic sheet, like Cling or Bounce. You won't believe how well it reduces the static. Needs to be repeated every few days, but it really works quite well.

fendermojoman
February 16th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Ted, wipe down the pickguard with a clothes dryer antistatic sheet, like Cling or Bounce. You won't believe how well it reduces the static. Needs to be repeated every few days, but it really works quite well.

Wow! What a great tip!!!!!:o

ted s
February 16th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I've tried that a few times,no great change for me..:(