PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have this problem???

Katastrophe
December 30th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Okay, fellers...

I'm 33. I play with another guitar player, whose about my age. We play extremely well together, to the point where I know where he's going before he does it, and vice versa. We have no ego clashes and are also friends outside of music (we work in the same field as well). Currently, we have switched to country music, and are working toward that goal, which is to be working musicians.

The situation is, we're both rockers. We both enjoy country and grew up with it in our houses (kinda hard not to, growing up in Texas in the 70's and 80's), but I don't think either one of us gets the same enjoyment as we do cranking up the guitars and launching into "Back in Black," or one of our originals (we've got quite a few written).

So, what to do? Is there a place in rock music for a couple of 30somethings who still like to rock out every now and then?

I just want to get out and freakin' play... It's frustrating!

Tim
December 30th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Okay, fellers...

I'm 33. I play with another guitar player, whose about my age. We play extremely well together, to the point where I know where he's going before he does it, and vice versa. We have no ego clashes and are also friends outside of music (we work in the same field as well). Currently, we have switched to country music, and are working toward that goal, which is to be working musicians.

I just want to get out and freakin' play... It's frustrating!

Katastophe – Hey, be thankful for what you have. Be happy you can plug in, let go and the have the ability to jam with someone you know. I am stuck in this little town of St. Augustine Florida and can not find anybody to even talk about guitars, let alone to play with. I would be happy just to find an old blues player to jam with. It goes to show that one man’s dilemma is another man’s heaven. I envy you brother!!!!

Nelskie
December 30th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Kat - It's called adaptation, my friend. If you like to rock out, but still think you need to have a more country-based setlist to be a "working" musican, then you have to find stuff that will cover both of those bases!! First, you should find some rockin' stuff that you can pass off at those country gigs. For example, "Shook Me All Night All Nite Long" is a rockin' AC~DC number, and one that you could give a little "country flavour" to, if you're creative. You might also want to check out a few of those "Pickin' on (whoever)" CD's, as it is a perfect illustration of adapting a different playing style / feel (in this case country) to music you wouldn't normally associate with it. I was surprised as to how cool that stuff sounded. Not only that, but how creative it was - playing in a traditional country style while buzzing though something super Zeppelin-y like "Rock & Roll". Myself, I found it was a total gas to play a song like that with a country vibe. Anyways- you gotta' hear it to believe it.

As for stuff that straddles that rock / country border, The Fabulous Thunderbirds are an awesome band (living in Austin, TX, you should already know that), and a lot of the newer country (Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Toby Keith) and 80's country (Dwight Yoakam, Travis Tritt) have some real guitar-bustin' numbers. Everyone seems to dig SRV stuff (of course) and that goes over pretty well with the country crowd, too. You see, there's a lot of cool stuff out there, and it just takes a little time to find your groove with it.

Myself, I am a rocker at heart, just like you. Back in the 80's, all I played was metal, cuz' that's what I dug. Now, I find just as much satisfaction laying back in the pocket, and groovin' on some vintage 70's Stones, as I do ripping on some old Dio. You won't see me wearing any spandex these days, tho'!! :D

In a nutshell - find stuff that challenges both of you technically, is fun for your and your mate to play together, and fulfills your urge to "rock out". It's out there, man - ya' just gotta' find it.

warren0728
December 30th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I am stuck in this little town of St. Augustine Florida and can not find anybody to even talk about guitars, let alone to play with. I would be happy just to find an old blues player to jam with.

man i wished we lived a little closer (we are about 100 miles apart)

maybe we could find someone halfway between us and have jam sessions at their house!

ww

Katastrophe
December 30th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Katastophe – Hey, be thankful for what you have. Be happy you can plug in, let go and the have the ability to jam with someone you know. I am stuck in this little town of St. Augustine Florida and can not find anybody to even talk about guitars, let alone to play with. I would be happy just to find an old blues player to jam with. It goes to show that one man’s dilemma is another man’s heaven. I envy you brother!!!!

Believe me, I am very fortunate... Austin (and the surrounding area) is a VERY fertile ground for guitar players, but my experience is there is a significant portion of those that believe they are God's Gift To Fretwork, and will be the first to tell you... The town I live in has a population of about 12,000, so it's hard to find drummers, bassists, keyboard players and singers that are our age. Move to Texas, brother, I'll jam with you!

Nelskie -

Thanks for the post, man! I was having a down moment and needed a little pick-me-up... Seems like you and I have a similar background musically (80's metal)... I, too, have retired the spandex. Will keep pluggin' away at it and let y'all know what happens!

Nelskie
December 30th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Glad to be of service. I get in a funk every once and awhile, too, and hearing someone else's take on things always helps me to draw things back into perspective. Remember, no matter what's goin' down, just keep those frets buzzin', and most of all . . . have FUN!

Tim
December 30th, 2005, 05:45 PM
..... but my experience is there is a significant portion of those that believe they are God's Gift To Fretwork, and will be the first to tell you

Awe yes ... God's little gifts. We have them here too. They play in all the tourist nightclubs and hit on the woman. Some things never change. They have no time for those of us who want to jam and learn a few new licks.

I hear in the wind that one of the nightclubs maybe starting an amateur night from 5:00 pm until 7:00 pm. I guess God does hear the cry of the poor. I must keep my ears to the wind on this rumor.

Warren - We must close that gap sometime in the future. I do visit Orlando once in a while to visit GC and the other 2 stores there. Maybe we can arrange something?

marnold
December 30th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Back in college, I played bass in a bluegrass band. Mind you, I was a headbanger through and through. But the guys who were in the band were my friends, I couldn't get a metal band together, and I wanted to play. Sooooo . . .