PDA

View Full Version : NAD: Fishman Loudbox Mini

marnold
January 2nd, 2024, 02:09 PM
Whelp, I had a change of heart (see my previous thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/23493-Katana-100-Mk2)). I drove to the local GC and tried out the Boss Katana 100 Mk2 head vs the Fishman Loudbox Mini. I used one of their ~$1800 Taylors there which has the same pickup/preamp as mine. From what I heard online, I thought the Katana's acoustic amp model would work fine. Mind you, it didn't sound bad. I played it through the Boss 2x12 cab and also out of the little speaker that is in the head itself. The speaker in the head sounded way better than I thought it would. Played through the cab, it was sort of like playing an acoustic through an electric guitar amp. More of the acoustic character of the guitar carried through, but there was a boominess that I just couldn't dial out no matter what I tried. So was it better than playing it through one of the amps I own? Yes. Was it worth spending more money on? In my opinion, no.

So I tried the Fishman Loudbox Mini (https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/loudbox-mini-amplifier/). It is specifically designed for acoustic and it has a second channel for adding a mic. It has a 1/4" and 1/8" line in as well as Bluetooth. There's three band EQ, digital reverb and chorus, and a phase switch. There's also an mic DI output. It sounds glorious. The sound that is coming out of the amp is the sound of my guitar. So often piezos can be super quacky. I don't know if there is some Fishman witchcraft in there that takes that out but it sounds wonderful. The reverb and chorus sound very nice and natural. Even with them cranked, it never sounds tacky.

Now, it was more expensive than the Katana (the head was on sale for $299, normally $369) and the Fishman was $399. The sound quality was way beyond the difference in price. I'm a happy camper.

Having said that, if I knew that someone was starting out on electric guitar, I'd recommend they get a Katana. The amp's controls are very self-explanatory and you can dig into the software to tweak the living daylights out of everything. If they got into acoustic later, it would be a serviceable amp for that too.

helliott
January 4th, 2024, 02:37 PM
I had a Katana for a while and was very happy with it. That said, the Fishman is allegedly a cut above. Interested in how it amplifies without using pesky piezzos with their thumpy noises. Love to hear a sample of your acoustic through the Fishman. Might be a good option for me and my Martin.

Jipes
January 4th, 2024, 03:19 PM
It really looks cool Marnold I never try one but I played once in a Fender Acoustic amp and I was surprised by the quality of sound of both the voice and the guitar

stingx
January 5th, 2024, 06:44 PM
Sorry, I only just saw your other post Rev. I love my original Katana v1. I still love my, by now, very modified Peavey C30.

Zip
January 7th, 2024, 08:40 AM
I have the same Fishman amp. Congrats on new amph day!

marnold
January 7th, 2024, 09:45 PM
I'm trying to find a good way to record it. May just use my phone. All I can say is that it makes me want to play acoustic more, which I think is the highest praise you can give an amph.

helliott
January 10th, 2024, 03:19 PM
Indeed, no higher praise needed. If you do record it at some point would be great to hear.