PDA

View Full Version : Telecaster controls - Like em or not?

Spudman
January 22nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
I have a big problem with Telecaster controls.

It seems hard (nearly impossible) to get my finger between the volume knob and the switch when the switch is in the bridge position. It makes fast pickup selection a bit of a chore and very frustrating.

A Strat switch is out there where you can easily flick it. Same with a Les Paul switch. Why isn't the Tele as easy to use? Does anyone make an aftermarket control plate that moves the volume knob towards the tone knob? Should we start a movement to get the spacing changed at the factory?

There is a lot of unused real estate between the two knobs. Shouldn't they be closer together?

What is your take on it?

Tone2TheBone
January 22nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
That is not a problem with my Muddy Waters Tele knobs. I think all Teles should benefit from the use of Fender amph knobs like the Muddy!

tot_Ou_tard
January 22nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
That is not a problem with my Muddy Waters Tele knobs. I think all Teles should benefit from the use of Fender amph knobs like the Muddy!

I've heard good things about the Muddy Waters Tele. What's your opinion Tone?

Spudman
January 22nd, 2007, 10:40 PM
I could see how those knobs would give just a little more space to get to the switch. Unfortunately, every other Tele comes with the chrome knobs. I like those myself.

ShortBuSX
January 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
I really like the switches and knobs on my Tele...I wouldnt change a thing...but thats just my opnion.

Tone2TheBone
January 25th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I've heard good things about the Muddy Waters Tele. What's your opinion Tone?

The first thing I noticed when playing the Muddy was how loud and clean the strings vibrate. I attribute that to the vintage tailpiece with 3 brass saddles, the medium jumbo frets and the ash body. Plus the fact that it IS a standard string through body design by nature. You get a much more defined tone on this compared to a floating trem Strat. My Muddy is about as heavy as my Gibson LP.....about over 8 pounds. I also think the CAR finish has something to do with how absolutely spanky that baby gets. :p Seriously it's pure magic to play. It inspires you to play stuff you didn't think was possible. It has stock pickups in the neck and bridge that sound wonderful. I can play anything with this guitar. Bridge stuff is just freakin' awesome....bridge/middle very sparkly....and the neck just plain SMOKES. It also sports a fine set of vintage Fender/Gotoh tuners. The Muddy Waters Telecaster is probably the best guitar for the blues period! I've learned that the Telecaster is one versatile instrument. I never owned a Tele until I found this one.

sunvalleylaw
January 25th, 2007, 01:37 PM
So if you had to pick between your tele and your les paul for ONE guitar to diversify guitar ownership from a strat, which would you pick?, and why?

EDIT: Dang, I passed 500 posts in the last day or two and didn't even notice. :p

Tone2TheBone
January 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
So if you had to pick between your tele and your les paul for ONE guitar to diversify guitar ownership from a strat, which would you pick?, and why?

EDIT: Dang, I passed 500 posts in the last day or two and didn't even notice. :p

I would be torn but I'd probably have to say my Tele. BUT when I stand around playing some blues the Gibson is right at home with that too. I just come down on the volume knob for a lot of that stuff and utilize all the pickup position choices...either both neck and bridge or just neck. Bridge goes a long way as well. You can blues out or rock out with the Les Paul thats for damn sure. GEE DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE ME CHOOSE?! heh But sure I'd take the Tele to a show or a studio.

Moshe
January 30th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I actually prefer the tele configuration because I am always bumping the switch on my strat out of the neck position by accident. (I dont play it that much, though) On the tele I can hook the switch from underneath with my pinky when it's in the bridge position.
Also, the gap between the pots makes for easy swells.

fendermojoman
February 12th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I too didn't like the layout from the factory. I turned my plate 180 degrees & now the order is like this:

3-way switch nearest Jack (rear)
Tone in the middel
Volume nearest the neck (front)
BTW- I'm a Lefty and those are Glendale Saddles

ShortBuSX
February 12th, 2007, 03:02 PM
BTW- I'm a Lefty

Well theres your problem, your stuff is installed upside down/backwards.:D

Spudman
February 12th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I too didn't like the layout from the factory. I turned my plate 180 degrees & now the order is like this:

Tone in the middel

I like this idea. I think I'll try it too.

elavd
February 13th, 2007, 07:38 AM
You can change the standard control plate:

http://www.rockinger.com/Media/Shop/2505c.jpg

To this one that has the volume pot's hole closer to the tone pot's one:
http://www.rockinger.com/Media/Shop/2500c.jpg

;)

Spudman
February 13th, 2007, 08:06 AM
elavd
So who makes that control plate? That is EXACTLY what I've been talking about.

Robert
February 13th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Interesting, I've never had any problems with this myself. One of my students has strat, and he is constantly turning his volume knob down by accident - tragic to see!

I love those chrome knobs on the Tele!

elavd
February 13th, 2007, 08:21 AM
As far as I know, the main source of these control plates in Europe is Goeldo (http://www.goeldo.com).

The Greek distibutor of Goeldo's products is Stavros Ntukas: www.guitars.gr
and the German main distributor is Rockinger: www.rockinger.de

Unfortunatelly, as far as I know, they both don't sell overseas...:(

Here is the page with Goeldo's other international retailers:
http://www.goeldo.de/gshop.php?p=haendler

Also, why don't you check out on Stew & Mac's site? Maybe they have something similar!

elavd
February 13th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I just saw on Stew & Mac's site, that they sell only typical Tele control plates...
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Covers_plates/Tele_Style_Control_Plates.html

:(

t_ross33
February 13th, 2007, 03:05 PM
fendermojoman must be onto something! The Squier Vintage Modified HS and HSS tele's have a flipped control panel too.

marnold
February 13th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Interesting, I've never had any problems with this myself. One of my students has strat, and he is constantly turning his volume knob down by accident - tragic to see!
That's what torques me about the volume pot on my Charvel, although it's not as close as a Strat's is.

fendermojoman
February 14th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Well theres your problem, your stuff is installed upside down/backwards.:D

Ain't it the truth! But if I play in front of a big mirror I'm back to normal. Now if I can just find my left hand chromatic tuner . . . . . . .:rolleyes:

Iago
February 15th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I would put the tone control a bit closer to the volume pot also..

I still think that a strat's volume pot is easier to put your hands on and make quick changes, but last month I played my friend's strat (the first I play after probably 3 months) and I was hitting my hand on the volume pot all the time. The way my hand now rests on a tele makes it a bit more tricky to play a strat. the bridge pickup, so as the saddles are further away from the neck on the tele.

fendermojoman
February 15th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I guess Fender thinks anyone who can shred faster than the speed of light,
chicken pick behind their heads, palm mute the E-D-B string while bending the other
3 simultaneously shouldn't have any problems dodging the volume knob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :p ;)

"I'm unemployed BUT I'm in a band!"

ted s
February 15th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Tone in the middel

Hey FenderMojo, was there enough slack in the wiring to just flip it ?

thanks

Ted

Spudman
February 15th, 2007, 05:59 PM
When I watched the Brent Mason Podcast I noticed that he had his control knobs further from the switch and closer together.

fendermojoman
February 15th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Hey FenderMojo, was there enough slack in the wiring to just flip it ?

thanks

Ted

Not for every wire but, but it was moot for me-while I had it "out" I replaced all pots and cap with an upgrade kit from RS guitarworks. It even came with a Hoveland yellow cap!!!! Now my Seymour Vintage Stacks really come to life and no hum either! :cool: :cool: :cool:

fendermojoman
February 16th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I bought a set of the finest Strat PUPS from this guy and now look what he has!
www.kinman.com ;)

Spudman
February 16th, 2007, 08:11 PM
That's pretty smart too. Kinnman stuff is awesome.

I still don't understand why it's so difficult to just drill the holes closer together. Who needs that kind of room between the knobs? Do the companies think all Tele players have pudgy fingers of something?:confused: :)

Highway_61
September 1st, 2007, 02:20 AM
My favorite guitar is a Yamaha 302s, Yamaha's take on the Tele. It's the feel and the tone(s) of the guitar, of course, that are the main reasons I like it as much as I do, but I also prefer the Yamahas diagonal Strat-like (though just a three-way) pickup selector to the standard Tele vertical selector switch. Also, the volume knob's location makes it easy (ier) to do volume swells and final chord tremolos.
Here's a picture of a 102s:
http://www.regentguitars.co.uk/acatalog/pac1022.JPG