PDA

View Full Version : Pickups & Pedals

WelcomeBack
January 23rd, 2007, 05:38 AM
Been doing some research, but can't find much.

What's the difference between buying a 8.5k humbucker pickup and turning the gain up on a pedal...vs a 14k pup and having the gain down. Assuming magnets and bass, mid, treble are about the same

I've been looking at....

GFS
Duncan Alnico II Pro
Classic 57

Maybe I just need a course in pickups winding, resonant peak etc.

Thanks
Paul

tot_Ou_tard
January 23rd, 2007, 08:21 AM
Good question! I need such a course as well.

Katastrophe
January 23rd, 2007, 08:58 AM
http://www.highorderpickups.com/

There is a link for an info sheet on this site that should give some good info on pickup output and magnet types as they relate to tone.

I've got a Seymour Duncan Invader on my Ibanez. It's got ceramic magnets and it is a HOT pickup. I could have a completely clean sound on the amph and still get a semi distorted tone. It was designed to give maximum output and distortion for metal type playing.

The pups on my Strat have a much lower output. They don't handle heavy distortion like the Invader, but have a much cleaner tone, and are more versatile. I believe, since the Strat is an MIM, that it has ceramic magnets as well, but I like 'em.

Generally (and I'm certainly no expert), a higher output pickup will give your tone more "bite", while a lower output pup will give you a cleaner sound.

WelcomeBack
January 26th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Anyone try Highorder Pickups

Don't see too many reviews but they seem to be popular in some of the forums. I sent a note to Jeff and he was very helpful.

Thinking about the 8k Neck & 8.5k Bridge Alnico 2.

Thanks
Paul

Stratcrazy
February 14th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Hey> I would think that the difference in tone would vary a bit. One scenario you are relying more on the output of a pedal and the other you are relying on the pickup.....you left out the most important thing to me......the amp.

Plank_Spanker
February 14th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I personally don't like super high output pickups. The ones I've tried have always colored the sound towards the "hairy" end, even clean.

Why not choose a quality medium to medium-high output pickup and let the amp do the work?

There just might come a time when you need good cleans..................and those "skull ripper" pickups just won't do it.

WelcomeBack
February 15th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I appreciate all the replies. I haven't pulled the trigger, but will soon.

I just had my guitar setup, to see that impact.

It helped, but still think I can benefit from new pups.

Paul

Spudman
February 15th, 2007, 03:17 PM
You listed some very good sounding humbucking pickups in your first post. Either are good choices.

I'm with Spanky. I don't really care for highest output buckers. Tonal quality matters most of all. Once you get a tone you like then you can beef it up or cool it off with pedals and the amp.
Take George Lynch, the guy that looks like Marnold's avatar, his signature pickup, the Duncan Screamin Demon is NOT a high output pickup. It is voiced to work in a variety of gain settings and just gets a good base tone. That's how I would approach it.

Many players will get higher output pickups early on only to come back to pickups that aren't high output, but instead just sound good. This, I think, happens as your sound matures. So, my budget minded little pea brain tells me that if I want to save money and be happy longer that I'd better just start off where I'm going to end up anyway.

WelcomeBack
February 15th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Everywhere store I go seems to be the same answer....JB/59 or jazz.

Jeff at HighOrder recommended a 7.5k Neck Alnico 5 and a 8.3k Bridge Alnico 2. He also recommends asymmetric wind. Hmmm! These fall into the Burstbucker, Classic 57s, Duncan 59/Pearly Gates regime. And all for $115 delivered.

Bloozcat on this forum got a similar pair and raved. Just can't seem to contact him for more info.

HighOrder seems to get good press in the les paul forum, etc. Jeff just has a long wait.

I'll get there one way or another. These 4 kids keep me hopping and not much time for guitar.

Paul

333maxwell
June 12th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I personally don't like super high output pickups. The ones I've tried have always colored the sound towards the "hairy" end, even clean.

Why not choose a quality medium to medium-high output pickup and let the amp do the work?

There just might come a time when you need good cleans..................and those "skull ripper" pickups just won't do it.

What this guy said.. he is absolutly correct.

A medium (to even medium high) Pup ensures your guitar is more than a one trick pony.

Let the AMP do the heavy lifting!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=676362