PDA

View Full Version : Santana style

M29
January 23rd, 2007, 07:49 AM
Hello,

Well this is my third attempt at playing a lead. This one was quite long for my limited experience but I actually made it through finally and got excited to put it up. Here come the excuses. The key was limiting to me so it is pretty much in the middle of the neck. I have been working around a bit but still not comfortable in this key. There are quite a few repeats but I had a ball with this backing track. I picked it up off the web and I am sorry I do not remember where I got it. It is called Santana Style.
I used my '51 in the mid position with my ad50vt on Boutique OD with the gain around 3:00. Still trying to get a good smooth grit without going too far.
I hope ya like it.

http://webpages.charter.net/tankm4/myno3.mp3

M29

oldguy
January 23rd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Wow! That was great, M29! Great tone, great vibe, and lead playing!
Thanks for sharing this one, your "third attempt at playing a lead" was a definite success in my book. Tasty stuff! More soon, I hope?:D :D

Spudman
January 23rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
Really nice M29.

I feel like I'm in a Latino James Bond movie. Right you are M29. This one has me a little stirred - not shaken.:D

Do you have the blank track so that we can play with it too?

Jimi75
January 23rd, 2007, 08:49 AM
What are you apologizing for?
You posted a really good clip and your playing is emotional.

Seeing this through the eyes of a "pure" listener, I did not figure that you were not used to the key.

I enjoyed this track - was leaning back in my chair, watching out the window of my office, listening to your track, having a coffe and feeling good.

Thanx man.

Jimi

M29
January 23rd, 2007, 09:01 AM
Hello,

Thank you for the kind words guys, it has been a long time since I posted any of my stuff. I am glad you like it. I really enjoy this style it feels like there is a lot of freedom in it. I created an account with that box.net site, my site if limited in capacity. Here is a link to the bare backing track. http://www.box.net/public/n8tz382kp6

I have been trying to do some stuff with my own playing as the backing track but man, it is tough trying to learn a drum machine program and Audacity too as well as progressing on the guitar and now I have a bass to learn. Whew! It sure is a good time though.
Thank you again guys, I haven't been able to keep up with all you guys tracks there is a lot of great playing going on here and I want to thank you all for your efforts that inspire and encourage me.

I love the blues and I have been working on a slow blues almost every day and I just can't seem to make it happen the way I want to. I am trying to work on short licks with lots of feel and trying to keep from running on. Hopefully I can add a blues next time.

Thank you again all for your kind words.

M29

SuperSwede
January 23rd, 2007, 10:08 AM
M29, you play with feeling dude! Very smooth tone.

snarph
January 23rd, 2007, 11:16 AM
If thats only your third attempt at putting down a lead , you've got no problems
Keep bumbin and keep them coming :)

M29
January 23rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Hello,

Thanks guys. I should probably clarify my third attempt, I have been back to playing the guitar almost a year now. I dabbled in it many years ago picking up this and that but never really stuck with it. This is the third time I played a lead in public or in a recording I should say. I have been practicing like crazy over the last year.

Thanks again all and thanks Robert for providing this site for us to learn in.

M29

snarph
January 23rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
hey thats what I meant still got a good vibe :)

Hogfullofblues
January 23rd, 2007, 05:56 PM
You got that 51 singing and your playing set the mood. Good chops too! Now you who were inspired have become an inspiration to others, like me. Really well done. Post those blues, man, we'd love to hear ya.

Hogfullofblues
January 27th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Inspired I am, and loving M's tone and take, here is my Santanatry at this loooooong BT.

http://www.box.net/public/537yalftu7

tot_Ou_tard
January 27th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Wow! Sorry I missed this earlier. Very nice & Santasty M n' Hog.

Hog what settings & gear did you use?

warren0728
January 27th, 2007, 07:04 PM
thats sounds great m! really nice tone....

how did you record the track? was it mic'd or from the line out on the amp...

ww

oldguy
January 27th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Wow, good job Hogfulloblues! I think you captured the tone on that one, sounded close to me!:D My question's the same as TOT's, what were yer settings? What did you use?
Great playing, thanks for sharing guys!:D
You guys got me inspired to try my fumble-fingers on this one.:p

http://www.box.net/public/pvi2ybld2y

Hogfullofblues
January 28th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Yea, another sweet tone and take, great playin OG.
I used the G&L strat, middle and neck pickups with the treble rolled off to cut the twang, everything else full on.
The tone was from the miracle machine PODxt that I downloaded called Bluesy Tone Telecaster with lots of effects and EQing that I must confess I really don't even understand. It would take a full page to list all the knob settings and such. Sheesh, my newbieness is showing and I'm feeling a bit useless here. So the best I can manage is showing the tone this way:

http://www.box.net/public/iydu2gdkpb

And the actual tone file itself for download if anyone with Line 6 software wants it:

http://www.box.net/public/78hpxxhl8i

Sorry about that. But still a testament to how easy and versatile this POD is even for me.

M29
January 28th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Wow great stuff Hogfullofblues and oldguy. I love hearing different takes it inspires new directions, thanks guys. Very nice indeed!!

M29

jasongins
January 28th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Everyone sounds great!

OG - Excellent as usual.

Hog - with your playing and tone, I'm not believing this "newbie" thing any more :)

M- Had trouble downloading the file. I'll work harder at it and give it a listen.

I love what these tone boxes can do. Since getting my m-audio black box and my Vox AD30VT, it has (temporarily) cooled my raging desire to get another guitar due to the variety of tones I can get out of just my '51. Aside from all the tones the black box can do, I discovered "bypass" mode which allows me to take a line out of my AD30VT and go into the black box to record on the computer, without the black box doing anything to color the tone. By the way, musiciansfriend has the black box for $179, including the pedal board. I'm sure it is no PodXT, but it has many different amp models and effects (especially after you update the firmware to "reloaded"), it has many built in rythms, it has very low system requirements, USB, and seems easy to operate. My Mac Mini has no audio input, so I had to get something with USB.

I'd love to get this BT. Has it been posted to the BT section already?

jasongins
January 28th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Everyone sounds great!

OG - Excellent as usual.

Hog - with your playing and tone, I'm not believing this "newbie" thing any more :)

M- Had trouble downloading the file. I'll work harder at it and give it a listen.

I love what these tone boxes can do. Since getting my m-audio black box and my Vox AD30VT, it has (temporarily) cooled my raging desire to get another guitar due to the variety of tones I can get out of just my '51. Aside from all the tones the black box can do, I discovered "bypass" mode which allows me to take a line out of my AD30VT and go into the black box to record on the computer, without the black box doing anything to color the tone. By the way, musiciansfriend has the black box for $179, including the pedal board. I'm sure it is no PodXT, but it has many different amp models and effects (especially after you update the firmware to "reloaded"), it has many built in rythms, it has very low system requirements, USB, and seems easy to operate. My Mac Mini has no audio input, so I had to get something with USB.

I'd love to get this BT. Has it been posted to the BT section already?

oldguy
January 28th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Yeah, I don't think Hog can claim newbie status much longer.:cool: :D