PDA

View Full Version : New Gibson Melody Maker released.....

Riley
January 23rd, 2007, 01:07 PM
Let me give you guys some GAS! Check out the video in that link....

http://www.gibson.com/allaccessFeatures.aspx?aliaspath=/AllAccess/Meet%20the%20New%20Melody%20Maker

Musiciansfriend is taking pre-orders at $349!!!!!! That's right, $349 for a USA Gibson. :D Their listing still has the old MM information and picture, so diregard that, the pre-order is for the one you see on Gibson's page.

Robert
January 23rd, 2007, 01:26 PM
Nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice. What else can I say? :D

Ro3b
January 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Well, well, well. I'd been wanting a really simple one-pickup rock & roll machine when I stumbled on the Squier 51 and got distracted. Sigh. Since it's been my long-held belief that the way to deal with temptation is to give in to it as quickly as possible, I guess I'll have to get one of these.

Spudman
January 23rd, 2007, 04:23 PM
What? No intonation adjusment?

I had a guitar with a wraparound tailpiece/bridge and promptly got rid of it. It didn't suit me at all.

Nelskie
January 23rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
What? No intonation adjusment?
I'll have to agree with Spud on the wrap-around tailpiece. Sure, its an accurate vintage detail - but for my money, I want to be able to adjust the intonation to my liking. A few months ago, I played a TV Yellow Epi '57 Les Paul Junior re-issue that had the same wrap-around tailpiece. Although the guitar sounded good, I wasn't particulary fond of how it played - it felt a little bit "sloppy" and kept going out of tune (which might also have something to do with the tuners, as well as the strings it was set up with.) Compared to my (2) Epi Les Pauls, it wasn't even close.

The other thing that takes this model a notch dow for me is the "special design" single coil p'up. I don't know what that dude in the video was running that guitar through, but it sounded awfully meaty for a lone single coil. Besides, the dual-HB set-up is the calling card for the tradional Les Paul design, and for me, that's the only thing that's gonna' do it. Except, of course, the dual P-90 set-up that resides in my Epi '56 Goldtop re-issue.

Another plus with the dual HB set-up is the ability to mix / change p'ups w/ aftermarket models. While you might be able to do this with the Melody Maker (i.e swap out single coils), my guess is that it might take some doing to modify it into a dual or even single HB set-up. Another question is whether or not the SC in the bridge is an exclusive Gibson design (i.e. dimensions, mounting, wiring, etc.) If it is, it might be awhile before any of the p'up manufacturers come around with an aftermarket replacement model.

For the same money ($349) you might want to think about one of the Epiphone Studio models - which feature all of the accoutrements of a Gibson Les Paul, or go $50 more, and get yer'self a nice Epi Standard Les Paul with a flame maple top. Might even be a bit cheaper on Ebay. ;)

Ro3b
January 24th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Hm, yeah, looking this further... didn't the original melody maker have a P-90 pickup? Of which that's not one. And that satin finish is kind of fugly too. For much less money I could get an Epi LP Jr and drop a P-90 in it.

Eh. Never mind.

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Somehow I never liked the melody maker, doesnt feel like a real Gibson. The only positive thing about this is that Gibson finally dare to put their golden name on a low end product.

duhvoodooman
January 24th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I'm going to reserve judgement until I get to pull one down off the wall at my local GC and see how it sounds & plays. But I'm skeptical, from what I've read so far. Lord only knows what they did to get that clip on the Gibson website to sound like that!

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 24th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Remember .. its a student guitar ... and it is a gibson .. 349 not bad , yeah you could go get a epiphone whatever for the same money or close but it aint a gibson and it wont hold its value as well as 349 gibson melody maker its not meant to be anything more than an entry level /student instrument just like the 1st melodymakers were ... and like voodoo sais kinda be nice to pick one up before tearing it apart ..

Tinky-Winky
January 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM
To be honest, I think 350 dollars is pretty good value for an American made, real mahogany set neck guitar. I'm interested.

Jimi75
January 26th, 2007, 06:58 AM
I'm gonna get one for sure. The video was very persuading and the guitar rocks like hell!

oldguy
January 26th, 2007, 07:19 AM
The wraparound tailpiece I'd have to check out, it would kinda bug me, I think. The name Gibson...gives it some status appeal, I guess. I'm guessing it's a comfortable to play guitar, but I've yet to play one. The old Jr's were nice, I do know that.
But a guitar made of a flat slab of wood and no frills isn't a bad thing. Sometimes it asks more of you as a player than an axe with knobs, switches, mid-boosts, coil splitter, reverse phase, lights lighting up in the fretboard, etc.
That's why I like tele's. But they have intonation adjustment. They have drawbacks too, IMO.
Spud already mentioned one. The PU switch, rear position, too close to the volume knob.

Jimi75
January 26th, 2007, 08:59 AM
It would be easy to change the wrap around with a stop tail piece, wouldn't it?

Okay, that's an extra 50 bucks you have to invest, but you still have an American Gibson that sounds great and you will be 500 USD.

I kind of like the attitude this guitar has. No big thrills - just your fingers, the amp an one pick up.

Ro3b
March 7th, 2007, 12:27 PM
So has anyone played one yet? I'm very curious.

Plank_Spanker
March 9th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Those company produced clips sure are persuasive, aren't they? :D I'd like to hear that guitar sound like that in person. Now, I'll have to try one out when I see one to satisfy my curiosity, but the wrap around tail piece is a show stopper for me.

tot_Ou_tard
March 9th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Well, well, well. I'd been wanting a really simple one-pickup rock & roll machine when I stumbled on the Squier 51 and got distracted. Sigh. Since it's been my long-held belief that the way to deal with temptation is to give in to it as quickly as possible, I guess I'll have to get one of these.
Whoa Ro3B! Where has your Charles Ives referencing self been lately?

I've learned to check my GAS so many times it's giving me GASid reflux disorder.

When that valve blows I'll be buying *every* d@mn cool piece of gear there is.

I beg y'all, please come jam with me & the Poor Farm Band...playing nightly 'till we die! :DR :D :R

Ro3b
March 13th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Yeah, It's a challenge keeping the urge under control, that's for sure. I had promised myself that this year I would limit my music-related purchases to upgrading my amp (which really is an embarrassment). But clearly that's not going to last.

I do really love the idea of a guitar that just makes one really good sound, and being forced to find variety through technique instead of knob-twiddling. I guess it comes from playing mainly acoustic for all these years. :-)

What exactly is the problem with wraparound tailpieces? I confess I"ve never encountered one in the flesh.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
March 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Gotta agree with Spank ,need to play it or hear it in person that guitar on the vid sounded a little processed , played a old one years ago and loved the neck , they are very thin bodied and light but it didn't sound like that one fer shure . Still for the money it looks like a great buy .