PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Volume

Tim
December 31st, 2005, 04:59 PM
Hello To All – First I want wish everyone the very best for the coming new year of 2006. My prayer for 2006 is for a safer world and less worldwide calamities and destruction for all people and nations.

I have a question of the use of the guitar volume knob(s). I understand that this volume knob is very important in the sound of ones tone. Turn it up high (9 or 10) for distortion or the bluesy sound. Lower for a clean sound. I am dialing in around 6 for my Tele Custom with 2 humbuckers.

I was hoping some you other guitar players coils share their use of the volume knob setting for both single coil and humbuckers.

Guitar-Chris
January 1st, 2006, 07:01 AM
I was hoping some you other guitar players coils share their use of the volume knob setting for both single coil and humbuckers.

Hm, it depends on the amp. When I play the Vox AD50VT and dial the Marshall Amps i often use a little bit more gain and then turn the volume knob on the guitar down. So i get a crunchy rhythm and can turn up the volume for an overdriven solo.

But when I use clean amps like the Fender (or a model of it) i don't like to set lower volume settings. Only with Volume on 10 i get the clear pressureful sound.

So I think, theres no right or wrong, but only personal settings of it all.

Nelskie
January 1st, 2006, 01:02 PM
Tim - There are many variables that will determine the use & necessity of your guitar's volume control. If I were to say one thing to you regarding this topic, it would be that there are no "typical" settings for any type of guitar / pick-up. Let me use this as an example:

Your typical Strat has (5) different pickup combinations. All of these settings have a slightly different tone, as far as how it is being projected through your amplifier. Depending on what you're type of song you're playing, configuration of the arrangement (solo, duet, 3-5 piece, etc.), and where your guitar is at "in the mix", your volume settings can all vary greatly from one point to the next. The point Chris made about the type of amp and its association to your volume is also good one, too, as the size, wattage, type (tube, solid-state), speaker # & size, use of an external cabinet or effects - all of these things will definitely have an effect on how you adjust your guitar's volume level.

You also made a good point in your own post about using different volume settings to play different styles of music. This tells me that you're paying attention to the sound dynamics of each particular song. The more you play, the more "feel" you'll acquire for this - and, when / where to use your volume control to create those intricate sound variances in songs. A perfect example of this principle in action (at least to me) would be Stevie Ray Vaughn's blistering version of Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing", as performed on the incredible "Live At The El Mocambo" DVD. There are a number of different tones Stevie uses throughout the song. When you watch his performance, you'll see him continually adjusting the volume / tone knobs on his Stratocaster to get the best settings for each particular section of the song. The verse parts of the song are subdued and intricate, so he uses a quieter volume level, and the "rounder" tones of the neck pickup. The chorus parts of the song are loud and powerful, and there he's using a higher volume setting with the brighter, more definitive bridge pick-up. Not all songs will demand this level of attentiveness to your guitar's volume / tone, but the example does illustrate how both play an integral role in the overall "feel" of the song.

When I play, I use the volume control mainly as a "fine-tuning" device, and not as a bottom-line type of setting. Again, this is because there are so many variables to one's guitar sound. The best piece of advice I can give you about volume is this: let your ears be your guide. The more you play with other players, in a band setting, or even practicing at home, the more accustomed you will become to your own "sound" (guitar, amp, playing style). Once you get a handle on that, you'll have no problem finding the volume level that will be best suited to what you're playing. :)

SuperSwede
January 1st, 2006, 01:14 PM
I recommend that you invest in a volume pedal, its really great to be able to adjust your guitar volume even when both of your hands are occupied. And you can play really nice steel guitar licks when you have a volume pedal :)