PDA

View Full Version : Hey all!!

Danzego
January 24th, 2007, 01:49 AM
How's it goin'? Name's Dan. I found this site when I was doing a search for a AD50VT and AD30VT comparison. Just reading around, I really dig the place and the general mellowness and positive feelings of the posters (I mean that in a non New Age sort of manner, by the way). Definitely a breath of fresh air compared to the rest of the crazed internet and their insistence on trying to tear you a new one anytime anyone says about anything opinion related or otherwise.

I WOULD have had a first post asking about different amps, as I was in the market for one and had it down to probably a Roland Cube, Tech 21, and a couple others in the 30 to 50 watt range. I've seen bad things about the Vox's as far as reliability goes, but then I heard some sound clips and was impressed, so I checked out a 30 at Guitar Center. I fell in love with the Blackface 2X12 channel and being they had no Cubes or Tech 21's instore (only online), I decided I would probably get a 30, but wondered about getting a 50.

ANYWAY, to make a long story longer, I found a great condition AD50VT on Craigslist yesterday for 10 bucks more than it would have cost for a brand new AD30VT, so my question was pretty much answered for me right there. I ran and picked it up and I think it's darn good. I didn't get a chance to fiddle around too much, but there are some real sweet rock and blues tones in there. Speaking of which, I come from the Heavy Metal school of playing, but now that I've added a few years to my total (and going completely acoustic for a stint a few years back and again a year back), I find myself getting more and more into the rock and blues sides of things and less of the chug-a-lug thang. Hence, why I ended up wanting the Vox. :)

Sorry...hope that wasn't too hard to look at. So like, welcome to me. :)

Lev
January 24th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Welcome Dan, there's plenty of us ex Metal Head's on here and plenty of Vox players too so you'll fit right in! I have a feeling that if you stick around here the AD50vt won't be your last purchase this year (prepare for a bad monkey, a tele, a reverend, a valve junior, a powerblock and possibly a POD......)

ted s
January 24th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Welcome Dan, like Lev said, GAS is all around us !

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Welcome Dan... Warren knows that you will like it here....

oldguy
January 24th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Welcome Dan... Warren knows that you will like it here....

Yes, Welcome, Dan...this is a place that is nice...

M29
January 24th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Danzego Welcome! and yes be sure to watch out for the vapors...oh I mean gas...oh... well you know. I don't want to imply that it stinks around here just that there is a certain level of gas...:eek:

M29

warren0728
January 24th, 2007, 07:10 AM
welcome Danzego....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Yes, welcome to you Dan!

duhvoodooman
January 24th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Welcome to the Fret, Dan. Warren thinks you will like it here, and so do the rest of us!

I'm a Vox owner, too--a 30--and have had it for a little over a year. Great little amp, so flexible and so reasonably priced for what you get. As a metalhead, you probably started on the right side of the amp model dial and are working your way to the left. My roots are classic rock and blues, so I've done just the opposite. See you in the middle somewhere! ;) :DR

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Welcome to the Fret, Dan. Warren thinks you will like it here, and so do the rest of us!

I'm a Vox owner, too--a 30--and have had it for a little over a year. Great little amp, so flexible and so reasonably priced for what you get. As a metalhead, you probably started on the right side of the amp model dial and are working your way to the left. My roots are classic rock and blues, so I've done just the opposite. See you in the middle somewhere! ;) :DR

Robert got some interesting blues tones from the right side of the dial if I recall. What was that Robert? The US Highgain with the gain low?

Spudman
January 24th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Hi Dan.
Sounds like you got a good deal on the amp. That should keep you going for a while. Welcome aboard.

Danzego
January 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Welcome Dan, there's plenty of us ex Metal Head's on here and plenty of Vox players too so you'll fit right in! I have a feeling that if you stick around here the AD50vt won't be your last purchase this year (prepare for a bad monkey, a tele, a reverend, a valve junior, a powerblock and possibly a POD......)

Oy, no!! I just got a GNX3 a couple weeks ago (still contemplating whether I want to keep it or not; it's good, but way involved and supposedly doesn't coexist with modeling amps so well), the AD50VT two days ago, and have an Epi LP coming off layaway in a couple of weeks here. Being a returning college student- I WAS a computer tech and now I went back to school to become a teacher- I definitely have no more money to burn on things like that.

Maybe I should treat your post as a warning and run away now, eh Lev? ;)

As for the Vox amp, I actually started on the left side. It was the Blackface model that was the first soundclip I heard, the first model I tried at the store, which promptly put a huge smile on my face. I heard a guy playing a Deville not so far away, getting that nice clean tone, and while I could hear the difference between the modeler and the "real deal", the price was an even bigger difference that made the little tonal differences all go away. I knew I had to have a Vox. :)

Thanks to the other guys with warm welcomes and all forthcoming. :D

sunvalleylaw
January 24th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Welcome Danzego. Great place here for learning and hangin' out!

Robert
January 24th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Welcome Danzego, nice amp you've got there! I have one too.

Tot, I like the Numetal model with gain set really low. Nice bluesy tone.

Lev
January 24th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Being a returning college student- I WAS a computer tech and now I went back to school to become a teacher- I definitely have no more money to burn on things like that.

Maybe I should treat your post as a warning and run away now, eh Lev? ;)

Oh man I'm in the same boat, I'm gone back to study part time - the problem is not money it's that I have my study/office in the same room as my guitars and amps = bad combination!! Lets see, shall I spend the next hour stuying Nyquists Sampling Theorem or shall I study BB King's Pentatonic Theorem? :R

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Numetal, is that the Recto emulation? The JCM800 (Uk80´s) can be tweaked into both jazzy and bluesy tones too.

bluesbreaker
January 25th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Welcome Dan....new myself but someone I am feeling the itch to go Vox shopping! Nice to have you on board.

tot_Ou_tard
January 26th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Welcome Danzego, nice amp you've got there! I have one too.

That's what it was. I gave it a try you are right.

Numetal, is that the Recto emulation? The JCM800 (Uk80´s) can be tweaked into both jazzy and bluesy tones too.

Somewhere there are lists of which amps are modelled for both the Tonelab and the AD range of amps. I'll try to find those & post those.

Jimi75
January 26th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Hi Danzego and welcome.

Janarm
February 2nd, 2007, 07:38 AM
Welcome to the most friendly forum,Danzego ;)