View Full Version : 20 Greatest Guitar Solos of all time

Robert
January 24th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Here you go - http://cityrag.blogs.com/main/2007/01/100_greatest_gu.html#more
with a youtube link for each.

What do YOU say? :R

Tinky-Winky
January 24th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the link Robert, those videos are great, but I'm not so sure about the actual list...

Nelskie
January 24th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Noticeable omissions:

1.) Tush - Billy F. Gibbons
2.) Boys Are Back In Town - Scott Gorham / Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy)
3.) Surfin' With The Alien - Joe Satriani (*any guitar solo list devoid of Joe Satriani is, IMHO, not a definitive list. Joe rules.)
4.) One Way Out - Duane Allman / Dickey Betts
5.) Walk On Hot Coals - Rory Gallagher (*off of the Irish Tour album)
6.) Sultans of Swing - Mark Knopfler (*how in the hell could this not make the Top 20?)
7.) About 3/4 of Johnny Winter's studio and live catalog.
8.) You Got Lucky - Mike Campbell (he of Heartbreaker fame)
9.) Drive My Car - George Harrison (*seems like a crime to me that neither George or John are ever included in a greatest guitar solo list, esp. when considering that they've written some of the greatest songs of all time.)
10.) Just about all of Jeff Beck's solo catalog.
11.) Most, if not all of Frank Zappa's catalog.

There's my short list.

Big K
January 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM
some classic tunes in that list...

sunvalleylaw
January 24th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I am not familiar/fluent in all of the ones listed by Nelskie to comment, but I wouild heartily agree with the Knoppfler omission and the comments re: Harrison. Something he played should have made the list; "while my guitar . . ." maybe? I presume guitar solo is defined as primarily eclectric lead. If you include efforts with just one guitar, Neil Young's acoustic work, especially "Old Man" should be mentioned. (There I go, sticking up for Neil again. Maybe we could include the one note solo too! :D ).

Noticeable omissions:

1.) Tush - Billy F. Gibbons
2.) Boys Are Back In Town - Scott Gorham / Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy)
3.) Surfin' With The Alien - Joe Satriani (*any guitar solo list devoid of Joe Satriani is, IMHO, not a definitive list. Joe rules.)
4.) One Way Out - Duane Allman / Dickey Betts
5.) Walk On Hot Coals - Rory Gallagher (*off of the Irish Tour album)
6.) Sultans of Swing - Mark Knopfler (*how in the hell could this not make the Top 20?)
7.) About 3/4 of Johnny Winter's studio and live catalog.
8.) You Got Lucky - Mike Campbell (he of Heartbreaker fame)
9.) Drive My Car - George Harrison (*seems like a crime to me that neither George or John are ever included in a greatest guitar solo list, esp. when considering that they've written some of the greatest songs of all time.)
10.) Just about all of Jeff Beck's solo catalog.
11.) Most, if not all of Frank Zappa's catalog.

There's my short list.

duhvoodooman
January 24th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Noticeable omissions:

1.) Tush - Billy F. Gibbons....

3.) Surfin' With The Alien - Joe Satriani (*any guitar solo list devoid of Joe Satriani is, IMHO, not a definitive list. Joe rules.)....

6.) Sultans of Swing - Mark Knopfler (*how in the hell could this not make the Top 20?)....

1) Tush isn't there, but Sharp Dressed Man is #43

3) It's #30

6) It's #22

9) And Your Bird Can Sing is at #69

Katastrophe
January 24th, 2007, 01:51 PM
In no particular order:

Don Felder and Joe Walsh - Hotel California
Randy Rhoads - Crazy Train
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Riviera Paradise
Jimmy Page - Stairway to Heaven
Paul Gilbert and Bruce Boulliet (probably misspelled his name) - Scarified
Eddie Van Halen - Eruption
Rossington / Collins - Freebird
David Gilmour - On the Turning Away
Wilton / Degarmo - Eyes of a Stranger
Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do (Frampton Comes Alive)
Ted Nugent - Stranglehold
Ritchie Blackmore - Highway Star
Yngwie Malmsteen - Crying (great phrasing, and he even slows down for a bar or two)
Kirk Hammet - Fade to Black or any of his playing on Orion
Any Al Dimeola solo on Land of the Midnight Sun
Dave Murray / Adrian Smith - The Trooper
Angus Young - Back In Black
Joe Satriani - Always With Me, Always With You
Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode
Any Hendrix solo, but his Woodstock version of "The Star Spangled Banner" in particular.

Honorable mention -

Lindsey Buckingham - Go Your Own Way (Not the most technical solo at the end of the tune, and probably shouldn't be on a "20 greatest" list, but that song was one of the catalysts for me to learn to play guitar).

Big_Rob
January 24th, 2007, 01:54 PM
What do YOU say? :R

I would change that list drasatically.

1) Texas Flood

Thats a good start

Ro3b
January 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Hm, almost nothing on anybody's list is less than 10 years old. That can't be right.

Or maybe we need the perspective of age to see a piece of music's influence and importance? When Van Halen first appeared, I remember (to my shame) thinking EVH's playing was the most flashily empty, gimmicky crap I'd ever heard. Of course I was wrong, but still. Shrug?

Nelskie
January 24th, 2007, 03:08 PM
1) Tush isn't there, but Sharp Dressed Man is #43

3) It's #30

6) It's #22

9) And Your Bird Can Sing is at #69
Yes, I saw that. My point was that these songs weren't in the Top 20, not that they didn't make the cut.

As guitar players, I'm sure we all know why these "all-time best" lists / polls are compiled. To sell magazines. Credibility-wise, it's all subjective. Younger fans will rail about an obvious (to put it lightly) lack of newer artists. Middle-aged dudes like me will harp about Pat Travers, Buck Dharma (aka Donald Roeser - Blue Oyster Cult), or James Honeyman-Scott (Pretenders) not getting an appreciative nod. Fantastic players like Ty Tabor (King's X) and Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) will continue to re-define sub-genre rock & alt. progressive music without as much as a single blip of critical acclaim. The inclusion of Frank Zappa will act as an obligatory "parade wave" to a catalog that screams for a healthier level of respect. And lastly, but perhaps most importantly, Stairway to Heaven will continue its reign as the single most over-publicized and over-appreciated piece of guitar work in all of modern recording history (*not that it isn't a great piece of playing - it is.)

The circle remains unbroken.

duhvoodooman
January 24th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Yes, I saw that. My point was that these songs weren't in the Top 20, not that they didn't make the cut.
OK, gotcha. Thought you were refering to the full Top 100 list. I guess your comments about "full catalogs" had me thinking in bigger numbers.

As far as these lists go, I agree. To quote Shakespeare (something I do regularly, about once a decade):

"A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Katastrophe
January 24th, 2007, 04:51 PM
As far as these lists go, I agree. To quote Shakespeare (something I do regularly, about once a decade):

"A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

And lastly, but perhaps most importantly, Stairway to Heaven will continue its reign as the single most over-publicized and over-appreciated piece of guitar work in all of modern recording history (*not that it isn't a great piece of playing - it is.)

Well gee, fellas, now I feel bad for posting my faves and including "Stairway."

Robert
January 24th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I love Stairway to Heaven, always have. To me, it doesn't matter how "overdone" or over-publicized a song is - if it's good, it's good. I feel the same way about Smoke On The Water - I love that song - still!

Tone2TheBone
January 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Jimmy smokes it on that Tele! Dig it!

Nelskie
January 24th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Why should you feel bad about that? Like it all you want. It's only one opinion. Mine. Not yours. By all means - let the "Stairway" love-fest continue.

Knowing that such statements would undoubtedly raise some eyebrows, I was careful to first pre-qualify the intent (i.e. "credibility-wise, it's all subjective), as well as compliment Mr. Page's playing (i.e. "not that it isn't a great piece of playing - it is.") Now that I think about it, though, perhaps I should have apologized in advance? :confused:

Spudman
January 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Now that I think about it, though, perhaps I should have apologized in advance? :confused:

That is a different thread.:D

duhvoodooman
January 24th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Oops, I think I created the wrong impression with my Shakespeare quote! I wasn't referring to any of the opinions quoted here. Quite the contrary! My point was that I find these "authoritative" lists published in magazines to be rather ridiculous. Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists list was even worse than this one. The whole exercise is far too subjective. Now, listing your favorite solos or guitarists or whatever is perfectly valid. It's your opinion, and it's as good as anyone else's. Except mine, of course, which is clearly superior and the ultimate authority in these matters. ;) :D

I like Stairway to Heaven and its solo just fine. I just wouldn't rank it in my personal Top 20. Of course, about 10 of those spots are already taken up by SRV!

Katastrophe
January 24th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Now that I think about it, though, perhaps I should have apologized in advance? :confused:

Oops, I think I created the wrong impression with my Shakespeare quote!

Not at all! It was a misguided attempt at some tounge-in-cheek humor. Perhaps I should've put in some smileys or something. Chalk it up to lack of sleep, coupled with a dry sense of humor. I apologize.:o

Now, back to Stairwayfest '07. Tone, did Page really use the Tele on that solo? I never knew that!

Spudman
January 24th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Now, listing your favorite solos or guitarists or whatever is perfectly valid. It's your opinion, and it's as good as anyone else's. Except mine, of course, which is clearly superior and the ultimate authority in these matters. ;) :D

I fight authority - authority always wins tra la la John Cougar Melonhead

I think it is a splendid idea for us to make a list of, say 10, our favorite all time guitar solos. I would rather see that myself. I haven't even looked at the link for the one you guys are talking about, because like it's been said, why bother?

r_a_smith3530
January 24th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I'd have to add one of the most underrated bands of all time, playing one of their best...

Grand Funk Railroad's Mark Farner soloing on Inside Looking Out, from their red album, Grand Funk. Although this solo is not full of technical flash, it has enough soul dripping off of it for any three or four albums. I have worn out many copies of that album, in vinyl, cassette and even CD format.

Mel Schacher's work on this album is one of the two things that finally convinced me that bass was where I belonged. The other was Stanley Clarke's playing with Return to Forever. Al Dimeola's guitar work on Romantic Warrior should at least get an honorable mention when it comes to guitar solos!

Tone2TheBone
January 25th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Not at all! It was a misguided attempt at some tounge-in-cheek humor. Perhaps I should've put in some smileys or something. Chalk it up to lack of sleep, coupled with a dry sense of humor. I apologize.:o

Now, back to Stairwayfest '07. Tone, did Page really use the Tele on that solo? I never knew that!

Yessiree he shore did. :DR

SuperSwede
January 25th, 2007, 04:41 AM
I cannot believe that Joe Perry didnt make it to that list!! His solo on "Dude looks like a lady" is one of my favorite Perry moments. I dont see the purpose of these kind of lists.

tot_Ou_tard
January 25th, 2007, 07:59 AM
What with all this apologizing, I feel left out & I'm sorry that I do. ;)

Tone2TheBone
January 25th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I cannot believe that Joe Perry didnt make it to that list!! His solo on "Dude looks like a lady" is one of my favorite Perry moments. I dont see the purpose of these kind of lists.

No wonder I like you. Joe Perry is a fabulous guitarist and his solos are memorable if not timeless. I've been watching the Aerosmith DVD "You Gotta Move" and clearly it is one of my favorites....

SuperSwede
January 25th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I have all Aerosmith albums up to "get a grip". I really think that they lost something with that album, too much "crying" and too little of that "you aint seen nothing until your down on the muffin"....
The "honkin on hobo" album was really good though...

Tone2TheBone
January 25th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I have all Aerosmith albums up to "get a grip". I really think that they lost something with that album, too much "crying" and too little of that "you aint seen nothing until your down on the muffin"....
The "honkin on hobo" album was really good though...

Honkin' On Hobo rocks my friend. There are a lot of songs on the "Draw The Line" album that I really dig....stuff I was really getting into when I first starting playing.