PDA

View Full Version : PC Windows users

Tone2TheBone
January 24th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Do you guys still allow Windows to automatically download "updates" to your computer or have you turned that function off already? The only update that I see being downloaded is the silly IE 7 which I hear sucks. Besides I use Firefox exclusively. I keep my updates turned off now only because I'm on dial up and having my system resources being swiped by MS updates all the time REALLY really sucks arse. So...is this a bad thing computer nerds?

ted s
January 24th, 2007, 05:10 PM
On the windoooz machine I use I get the update alerts and can then accept or deny the update.

Tone2TheBone
January 24th, 2007, 05:29 PM
On the windoooz machine I use I get the update alerts and can then accept or deny the update.

I've never messed with the update settings and have always just let windows automatically download the updates. So an alert will tell me exactly what updates are available then?

Hogfullofblues
January 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Well, not updating windoze is supposed to be a bad thing. Security holes being the main reason given, and there seems to lots of those. So many in fact, that on my ancient PC, I actually ran out of hard disk space.
Consider the update alert like Ted. You could pick and choose which updates, then download them at night after your thru.

stingx
January 25th, 2007, 06:54 AM
I have disabled auto updates. I've disabled a ton of things, actually. Do a search for WinXP tweaks some time and you'll be amazed as to how much you can speed up Winblows and reduce bloat and increase performance. Since I use my laptop and desktop to record, I want nothing that will kick in all of a sudden and spike performance...sucks when you are almost done nailing a great take and that happens! Anyway, to each his own but you need to collect the updates periodically to stay up to date and protected so, what I do, is manually check and deploy them every 2-3 weeks.

sunvalleylaw
January 25th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I have a fresh copy of Windows xp Pro that I got to put on my iMac Duo. I have not installed it because frankly, all this stuff makes me nervous, and i haven't found a strong enough need. I do have some windows only legal software I need to install (child support calculator, written in windows only) so I guess I need to just do it.

Tone2TheBone
January 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I have disabled auto updates. I've disabled a ton of things, actually. Do a search for WinXP tweaks some time and you'll be amazed as to how much you can speed up Winblows and reduce bloat and increase performance. Since I use my laptop and desktop to record, I want nothing that will kick in all of a sudden and spike performance...sucks when you are almost done nailing a great take and that happens! Anyway, to each his own but you need to collect the updates periodically to stay up to date and protected so, what I do, is manually check and deploy them every 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for this tip Stingx. I too dislike anything that interferes with the performance of my box.

stingx
January 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM
This will guide you to performance bliss :)

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_services/print.shtml

Excellent guide to the best tweaks you can perform on WinXP to gain the best performance from your PC.

Tone2TheBone
January 25th, 2007, 05:27 PM
This will guide you to performance bliss :)

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_services/print.shtml

Excellent guide to the best tweaks you can perform on WinXP to gain the best performance from your PC.

I'll see what the guide is about stingx thanks!

Mark
January 25th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Being an old computer builder/overclocker I dont let anything update itself without my checking it out. There is so much garbage these dev's will dump on your machine. I keep my pooters updated but I like lean quick machines! No bloatware on this baby LOL

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Bigredhog/?action=view&current=DSC00534.jpg

Spudman
January 25th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Being an old computer builder/overclocker I dont let anything update itself without my checking it out. There is so much garbage these dev's will dump on your machine. I keep my pooters updated but I like lean quick machines! No bloatware on this baby LOL

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Bigredhog/?action=view&current=DSC00534.jpg

That's where I've seen that before. I couldn't remember. Is that even legal? Is it an old Department of Defense pooter or maybe NASA? That thing looks ready to take off. Zoooooooooom!

SuperSwede
January 26th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Mark, if you ever hear a voice from the computer saying "shhhh.....chhh....I am your father Mark...schhhzzz.....use the force Mark.....cscscscc." you should probably disconnect the power and call Inspector Mulder at the X-files asap.

SixStringJoe
January 27th, 2007, 10:56 PM
My auto updates are turned off. Some of the patches that come out can have undesirable effects on your PC. The important things is to keep your anti-virus defintion files update. Yes, the IE 7 do have issues and I think it's best to stay away until others have gone though the testing phase.

Justaguyin_nc
January 28th, 2007, 04:38 PM
updates on..but set fo me to install.. security holes mainly.. and I wished I never got the new IE.. although it looks better..kinda sorta.. I still use Opera...

Myles
January 29th, 2007, 04:22 PM
The only update that I see being downloaded is the silly IE 7 which I hear sucks. Besides I use Firefox exclusively.
I am, like yourself, a Firefox user. I love it, I won't likely leave it unless some other browser has something pretty amazing to force me to switch. That being said, IE 7 grabs a lot of things that Firefox has been doing forever (tabs being the most obvious). Overall, I'd hardly call IE 7 bad. In fact, if IE 7 had came out before Firefox then I'd likely have never switched to Firefox in the first place. (in other words, they are both quite similar)

If you are an IE6 user and are perhaps a little hesitant to try a new browser, I highly suggest you update to IE7. I think you will be happily surprised by the superior web experience.

Tone2TheBone
January 29th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I am, like yourself, a Firefox user. I love it, I won't likely leave it unless some other browser has something pretty amazing to force me to switch. That being said, IE 7 grabs a lot of things that Firefox has been doing forever (tabs being the most obvious). Overall, I'd hardly call IE 7 bad. In fact, if IE 7 had came out before Firefox then I'd likely have never switched to Firefox in the first place. (in other words, they are both quite similar)

If you are an IE6 user and are perhaps a little hesitant to try a new browser, I highly suggest you update to IE7. I think you will be happily surprised by the superior web experience.

Ya think so? Can it be uninstalled if I don't like it? Well I could just set a restore point prior to install and then revert back to it if I don't like it. I've been using Firefox exclusively since I downloaded it. The only thing that I don't like about Firefox is how it opens up another browser session anytime you download something and then it stays there...doesn't close it when the download is done and I have to delete every dang session. Is there something I can do to eliminate this?

Hogfullofblues
January 29th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Firefox doesn't do that for me, but I installed an add on called Download Statusbar right in the beginning. If you try it and don't like it, it can be easily disabled.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/26/
I also have IE 7 on all our PCs, no problems and much better than IE 6.

Justaguyin_nc
January 29th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Hey, I must have used an earlier version of Firefox... this 2.0 is not half bad.. imported my bookmarks from both IE and Opera without a hitch... added the lil status bar thingy... added some tool icons like new tab etc... might mess with it a bit... looks much like old IE... screens look good.. updates nicely...

Tone2TheBone
January 30th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I also had the older version of Firefox. 2.0 is the ***t thanks for the headsup people.