PDA

View Full Version : Canuck Grub

tot_Ou_tard
January 26th, 2007, 08:31 AM
I'd be hard pressed to name a Canadian specialty

(ummm Canadian bacon?)

& since we have beaucoup de Canucks here I thought I'd ask.

Number 1) I ran across this:

Poutine

http://members.shaw.ca/kcic1/poutine.html

Do you eat it? Is it good?

What are other Canadian regional fare?

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Poutine is a Quebec thing , it's a cheese sauce that's eaten on french fries .. i dont like it ... french fries should only be eaten this way ... fries , salt . malt vinegar, covered in turkey dressing and smothered in gravey .. fries dressing and gravey ..it rules ... its a Newfie thing .

Spudman
January 26th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I always thought Chinese food was Canadian in origin. When I toured Canada every town had at least a dozen Chinese restaurants. Good stuff too and good for you.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 26th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Hey spud , when did you do your touring in Canada, and did you ever get down east .. i've been coast to coast up here and know all legendary road food spots and a few that should be ...

oldguy
January 26th, 2007, 10:39 AM
From the link TOT gave...
"Also, you must fry the potatoes in pure lard. Vegetable oil and other politically-correct oils spoil the unique taste.
The best gravy also comes from Warwick, in a powder form that is mixed with water. Theirs is totally vegan and must be dark brown and just the right consistency when served.
The Gravy - French-Canadian gravy (also known as BBQ Chicken Gravy) is very different than American gravy. First of all, it is very dark and thick, like molasses. Secondly, it has a very flavourful taste which cannot be described...very much like pepper and vinegar and other 'magical' ingredients. If you can stand a spoon straight up in it, it's good! Make sure it's very, very hot!
Poutine is Acadian slang for mushy mess and is best described as a heart attack in a bowl.
The Cheese - The cheese is the most important part of good poutine. You must use FRESH white, cheddar cheese CURDS. These curds have a taste and texture very different than actual cheddar cheese. The cheese curds will actually squeak in your teeth as you bite them.
When the curds are placed on the fries and the hot gravy is poured on top, the three flavors combine to produce what can only be described as the BEST junk food taste sensation on earth.

Anyone hungry for a big bowl of poutine and a big mug of Root Beer?? Pure heaven on earth !

AND SOMETHING THAT IS TOTALLY C A N A D I A N !! "

I'm in!!!:D Where can I get some? You mean I gotta go to Canada to get the real article? Dangit!!:(

sunvalleylaw
January 26th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Don't Canadians have a special flair for Spam?

I'd be hard pressed to name a Canadian specialty

(ummm Canadian bacon?)

& since we have beaucoup de Canucks here I thought I'd ask.

Number 1) I ran across this:

Poutine

http://members.shaw.ca/kcic1/poutine.html

Do you eat it? Is it good?

What are other Canadian regional fare?

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 26th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Don't Canadians have a special flair for Spam? sunvalleylaw

whats your point ? are you trying to mock your neighbours to the north ?

oldguy
January 26th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I was under the impression that "spam" enjoyed up north by our Canadian brethren is a lean type of canned ham, whilst here in the US it has been ,over time, bastardized into a wad of slimy grease-laden meat trimmings stuffed into a can.

Is this correct?

I used to enjoy spam occasionally as a small child, but what is sold here in the US these days under that name I cannot eat.:(

sunvalleylaw
January 26th, 2007, 11:39 AM
whats your point ? are you trying to mock your neighbours to the north ?

No sir. I should have put smilies as I was trying to be funny and make a reference to an old Second City (Canadian comedy group) skit I thought I remembered from way back when (Bob and Doug McKenzie). Sorry if I offended. Sometimes when I am trying to be funny at home, my wife just tells whoever is around to nod politely and ignore me. :o Certainly no offense intended. I grew up within easy driving distance to British Columbia and Victoria and love every place I have visited up there.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 26th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Actually It Was Very Funny... You Are A Good Sport Sunvalleylaw..

ted s
January 26th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Second City was a great show. Lots of talent came from there.

Hogfullofblues
January 26th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Our family has a summer cottage in Ontario and along our travel route, "fry" wagons abound. The best hand cut, fresh real potato fries, period, and we always stop for some every single trip. My personal favorite is double cooked, with salt and white vinegar. I've tried the Ontario version of poutine, with yellow shredded cheese, and it is quite the mushy mess, but dang good, heavy, and a meal in itself. The turkey dressing fries sound way good. Spam fries next!

oldguy
January 26th, 2007, 12:21 PM
So is Canadian spam different? I'm serious...that's what I've been told. Even by US folk who've gone to Canada on fishing trips. Am I the victim of the "snipe hunt" syndrome? Or is it true?:confused:
And England. Spam is a different product in England than the US. Right?:confused:

ted s
January 26th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I have never ate spam, can't even remember the last time I saw a can.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 26th, 2007, 12:45 PM
HECK , i aint seen a spam bird fly by in years i heard they were on the endangered species list along with the balogna bird ..fries dressing and gravey .. after a night on da black rum thats how i spell relief .

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM
hey ...FRIES DRESSING AND GRAVEY ... GREAT BAND NAME ....HMMM

Spudman
January 26th, 2007, 01:10 PM
hey ...FRIES DRESSING AND GRAVEY ... GREAT BAND NAME ....HMMM

Sounds a little like a law firm too.

Just what is Spam exactly?

Tone2TheBone
January 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Try this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ7YedEopp4) Spud............ :)

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I think spam is a type of mystery meat that was developed for the military .. using all the normally unconsumable parts of the hog .. although i thought that was what hot dogs were made of .. anyway i digress .. spam was offered in tins , mystery meat in tins is all i can tell you spud .. never had the opportunity to taste it ... is there beef spam .. speef ???

SuperSwede
January 26th, 2007, 01:40 PM
6s9l, I THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. My home studio will from this day be known as "Mystery Meat Studio". Fantastic name...

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Hey Super ... I do what i can ,,,MYSTERY MEAT STUDIO .. yep it has a rig to it .. 6S9L

SuperSwede
January 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM
How about "Mystery Meat Productions", sounds even better...

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 26th, 2007, 01:54 PM
UMMMM... the other Canadian specialty that is definitely worthy of note is the HALIFAX DONAIR ... sliced spicey lamp/pork/beef/ on a pita type bread with lettuce , tomatoes , onions , and a creamy garlic sauce .. guys this stuff is killer and the halifax donair/gyro is the true original , if you ever get down that way , or up that way as the case may be , you gotta check em out , the nite life there is awesome as well .

sunvalleylaw
January 26th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Sounds great! I love gyros. Hope to make the trip and visit some of the Great White North fretters along the way.

tot_Ou_tard
January 26th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I think spam is a type of mystery meat that was developed for the military .. using all the normally unconsumable parts of the hog .. although i thought that was what hot dogs were made of .. anyway i digress .. spam was offered in tins , mystery meat in tins is all i can tell you spud .. never had the opportunity to taste it ... is there beef spam .. speef ???

SPAM ain't nuttin'. Try this:

http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/potted.html

Potted Meat Food Product. My wife & I used to go to the tiny corner store in a small town many years ago & this was on the shelf. We would always pick it up & read the label & make jokes all the way home.

tot_Ou_tard
January 26th, 2007, 05:45 PM
UMMMM... the other Canadian specialty that is definitely worthy of note is the HALIFAX DONAIR ... sliced spicey lamp/pork/beef/ on a pita type bread with lettuce , tomatoes , onions , and a creamy garlic sauce .. guys this stuff is killer and the halifax donair/gyro is the true original , if you ever get down that way , or up that way as the case may be , you gotta check em out , the nite life there is awesome as well .

So this is a basic Gyro/Donner Kehbab? Or is there some special Halifaxian magic happening?

I love these things, by the way.

When I used to go to Canada as a kid (BC/Alberta) I used to love it & thought that the Canadians were geniuses for serving gravy with fries.

On the other hand, I thought they looked silly eating pizza with a knife n' fork. :D :p

t_ross33
January 26th, 2007, 06:17 PM
salt & vinegar chips

oldguy
January 26th, 2007, 07:29 PM
So there is no such thing as "Spam", a meat product, in present day Canada?
It was all just a cruel joke, perpetrated on a small Midwestern lad in 1965?:confused:

Spudman
January 26th, 2007, 07:49 PM
So there is no such thing as "Spam", a meat product, in present day Canada?
It was all just a cruel joke, perpetrated on a small Midwestern lad in 1965?:confused:

Far as I could tell it is regurgitated Viking snot or something. Must be good though to get so many folks singing about it.