PDA

View Full Version : Attn Robin Trower fans: What are his best CDs?

tremoloman
January 1st, 2006, 06:07 PM
I'm relatively new to the "white Hendrix". I've heard some stuff and liked it. I want to buy some CDs, but I need your opinions on which ones would best "get me started" in listening to him.

Thanks! :)

Nelskie
January 1st, 2006, 09:27 PM
Trower's 1974 release "Bridge Of Sighs" is considered by many as his most definitive effort. Prior to going out solo, Trower was a member of the band Procol Harum, who enjoyed a successful string of hits in the late 60's and early 70's (Whiter Shade Of Pale; Shine On Brightly; Whiskey Train). Also, James DeWar (bassist / lead vocalist), provides another key element to the trio's sound. Although the Trower catalog is literally loaded with amazing guitar work, "Bridge Of Sighs" provides the greatest cross-section of material, and really showcases Robin's signature Stratocaster-fueled fretwork.

Spudman
January 2nd, 2006, 02:17 AM
I have to agree that Bridge Of Sighs is probably THE one to get. Some of the later albums were, um, disposable in my opinion, but still not without at least one good tune on them. Also BLT was pretty good. Jack Bruce, Corky Lang, Robin Trower.

If you like the Trower vibe check out early Mahogany Rush from the 70's and any Randy Hansen album.

Shaaaazaaam!

marnold
January 2nd, 2006, 09:30 AM
Vote #3 for ye olde Bridge O' Sighs.

Iago
January 2nd, 2006, 09:51 AM
Hi Tremolo,

I recommend you to get these ones:
- Twice Removed from Yesterday
- Bridge of Sighs (get this one first)
- For Earth Below (this one kinda repeats the BoS formula)
- Long Misty Days
- Robin Trower Live! Live at Stockholm (great, great, great...listen to Daydream)

I wouldn't call Robin the white Hendrix or so...even though his firsts solo efforts really channel some of Hendrix's works...I think it's a quite superficial statement...

I love James Dewar singing...definitely one of the bests rock vocalists ever.