PDA

View Full Version : How healthy are you?

Tone2TheBone
January 26th, 2007, 10:46 AM
How do you rate yourself on the healthometer? Do you consciously live your life with regard to good health? Do you not care and keep on doing what it is you do and eating what it is you eat? Discuss. Tell us about your ailments. :)

warren0728
January 26th, 2007, 11:13 AM
what a timely topic...in fact i was thinking of starting something similar.

I think i am in the worst shape of my life :(

i don't get enough (any) exercise and my eating habits aren't that great either.

I use to be in really good shape (worked out everyday in college) and was working out with a friend until conner was born (he is now 10)....he had colic and it just got to be to much....and i never got back into a routine.

ANYWAY ON THE PLUS SIDE....i gave up caffeine a year and a half ago ( and i was drinking massive amounts of mt. dew at the time) and just recently gave up sodas (except if i eat out) drinking flavored waters and water only at home (where i spend most of my time since my office is here and i am a stay at home dad).

I am not really fat...just have a little bit of a belly but i don't feel good physically. Quite a few aches and pains and such and i feel worn out just mowing the grass (of course it's 100 degrees outside during the summer when i'm mowing :eek:

So i am looking to get back into some sort of workout routine but don't think lifting the heavy freeweights i used to do as an options. Don't think my joints could handle it. We are also trying to eat better instead of taking the quick easy dial up menu approach.

I would love to hear what others are doing for exercise and such....there isn't much time left in a day with all my activities including getting the kids to all the activities they are involved in...

I've heard about combat training and the thought of using only your body weight to work out appeals to me....here in florida it's really to hot to work oput with weights in the garage during the summer and i don't think i would go to a gym consistently....

NEXT :D

ww

Robert
January 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I'm on 9 out of 10. I have just changed my work hours around so that I have a 2 hour lunch break.

I will run an hour a day in the week, then longer on the weekends. I am planning on running a marathon in the fall, and many other races in spring and summer.

I hope to go to Spokane, Washington in May to run super big road race - about 50,000 people run this 12k race!

Tone2TheBone
January 26th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Warren good post. I appreciate your honesty. I'm sure there are a lot more people here that are in similar circumstances as you.

I heard the other day that my brother in law now has diabetes (type 2). His brother was told last year that he has diabetes and is already taking medication for it. This was disheartening because well...they're in their early 50s and so my wife and I are going...."GULP"......we're in our early 40s! So yeah this subject has been weighing heavy on me. I'm also not "fat" but I do have a belly and I know this is due to my love for BEER! I rarely exercise and I KNOW I SHOULD. I sit on my arse all freakin' day long in an office so I really need to do something myself. I feel ok physically but like you Warren sometimes I feel achy and fatigued. I do know that my cholesterol is high and I've been eating as much oats as I can and taking flax seed oil supplements etc. I'm realllllly not wanting to give up the beer though...call me evil. So....anyone have the magic cure? LOL Oh and yes we do have a treadmill at home so I can easily do some walking/jogging....so I guess there is no excuse!

Ok next person...this should be interesting. Thanks again Warren.

Tone2TheBone
January 26th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Robert you're young and skinny man! You got nothing to worry about! hahaha

oldguy
January 26th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I would say I'm fairly healthy for my age, probably due more to the type of work I do than to personal habits. During the spring up until winter I strap on about 50lbs. of GPS equip, tool belt, hammer, big bag full of grade stakes and walk anywhere from 1 to 5 mi. on an average day. Then winter rolls around and if/when I'm laid off I eat too much(I love meat,btw), gain weight, 10-15 lbs., and spend more time playing guitar than working out. I, too, enjoy my beer, sure that doesn't help. We have a treadmill and weight set, I must ashamedly admit I don't use them in a regular, regimented routine, however.
More like when I begin feeling sluggish, blah, I know it's time to get moving and do something about it.
I notice a big difference when spring rolls around and I'm constantly on the move and working all the major muscle groups daily. People who workout or get regular exercise in any manner are generally more upbeat, positive, happy, and have more energy, myself included. (Sorry, couch potatoes, it's a fact. I know 'cause I'm usually a couch potato myself 1 or 2 months a year.)
Simple stretching exercises, done regularly, will also make a difference in the way I feel (for the better). That said, I know diet and exercise make the difference, I'm just never ready to do the diet part, but I will exercise when I need to. And if I listen to the "experts (doctors)" opinions, I have good heart rate, slightly high blood pressure, good lung capacity, flexibility, muscle mass, slightly elevated cholesterol, and I'm in good shape for 52yrs. of age.
BTW, I also believe in a positive outlook. People who find inner peace (and I'm not saying I'm there yet, I'm working towards that goal) cope much better in chaotic, unpleasant situations. That also is a health issue that needs to be taken into consideration.

Spudman
January 26th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Just saw the Doc day before yesterday. We did some labs because I had an inflamed bump above my knee. Nothing major, just a cyst. But the blood work was excellent. I'm right at the top for being able to carry and utilize oxygen. He also went "wow" when he saw my calves. "You have some very developed calves," he said. The bump was in the area of an old wreck so some tissue was just irritated.

I made a commitment to stay healthy so that I can be active all my life. I plan to be able to compete when I'm in my 60's. By staying healthy and active I can go do something at the drop of a hat and not have to train, or loose weight, or get in shape for. It takes time and focus, but the payoff is huge. I don't have health issues so I save money and mental stress. I use a good supplement and everything keeps working right. I've pushed my body pretty hard from Cross Country and MotoCross when I was a kid to skiing, mountain climbing and racing bicycles as an adult. I've crashed and some parts hurt a little bit now and then, but I'm solid and lean and eat correctly to stay that way.

I love being able to still put out and kick butt at this age. It's been worth it to make the effort to stay healthy. It also makes me money from time to time...and that is a good thing.

Put it this way...it is kind of like the guy that buys the nice custom made Carvin, or Brian Moore guitar. He never changes the stings or cleans the neck or wipes the body. Pretty soon all he has is a piece of crap that used to be good at one time. This is like your body...if you don't do what it takes to keep it working right then soon all you have is a piece of crap that used to be nice. Take care of it and it is admired, and it feels great to use.

At 40ish we are only half way there. The body responds wonderfully and can be made better than it is now if it is not in good working shape. You don't have to buy new pots, pickups or tuners. All you have to do is get active and eat and rest right. The body will automatically do the rest. You will love it and so will your friends and family. Plus you'll be an inspiration.

So, ya I'm healthy.

sunvalleylaw
January 26th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I am pretty darn healthy for my age. I am active, have a high fitness level, eat well most of the time, don't smoke, etc. My cholesterol and stress levels started to climb a bit a couple years ago, and I have taken steps to bring it back down. Cholesterol has come down (diet and supplements), and have been making progress with the stress load. I could still go to bed earlier more often, watch sweets after dinner, and get a little more cardio done in winter. I am pretty good in summer. My desk job is a little stressful at times, but I agree with Glenn, regular exercize helps there, and with the mood. Taking up guitar has helped a lot, too. :DR

Tone2TheBone
January 26th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Sun - You're right. My wife says that guitar playing is excellent therapy for me. As is fly fishing. Both are washing machines for my brain....great ways to take care of my mental health. I chopped some wood today so I'm on a roll here. Gotta keep it up.

t_ross33
January 26th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Weight-wise, I'm lighter than I was a couple of years ago. I have been working in water/fire damage restoration for just over 2 years now. I lost about 20 lbs in the first 4 months of work. I do LOTS of stairs, usually hauling out a customer's wet, soggy belongings :p

Used to work out quite a bit, then got pretty seriously into martial arts. I achieved my brown belt in karate and was gearing up to test for my black belt, but my first daughter was born, work got busy and "life" kinda took over and I got away from it. I really miss it though (almost 12 years later).

A guy I hired a couple months ago runs the local tae kwon do club and is a 2nd degree black belt. He wants me to start sparring/training with him because he spends most of his time teaching and doesn't get much time to train with someone at his own level. After 12 years, I don't think I'm at his level anymore, but I'm tempted to start, if I can get this guitar monkey off my back.

Funny (sorta) story. I had a complete physical a while back (my wife made me go :D). The doctor asked if there was anything I was concerned about and I replied, "Hmmm... let's see. My Mom died of cancer, my Dad just had quadrupal bypass surgery, and my sister is diabetic. Whattchu got?"

Since then, my Dad also passed away from cancer, so I am very concerned about my long term health. So even though I dropped some weight, I have to get serious about my overall health an fitness.

Trev

Spudman
January 26th, 2007, 10:53 PM
We'd better start calling you Mr. T Ross.:cool: I love Karate and Taekwondo. I've practiced a while too, just never tested for higher ranks.

Sounds like you should start teaching again and then just eat right. You'll out live your genetics for sure. Fresh veggies, little meat, whole grains and nuts, and wash it down with some heavy cream stout. (ok, stout optional)

I'd offer to spar with you too but I know how unrestrained you brownies can be.;) You'd beat me and take my guitars.

t_ross33
January 26th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I'd offer to spar with you too but I know how unrestrained you brownies can be.;) You'd beat me and take my guitars.

:D I think you might be on to something there, Spud :DR :p

Jimi75
January 27th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Don't smoke, don't drink alcohol often, but I do to less sport. I used to do Marathon but in the last two years I had no time for sports. To much work and I set high priority on educating my kids and spend time with them.

I would give myseld 6,5 out of 10, but I will surely improve this in 2007.

To many medical doctors in my family that are watching me :-)

tot_Ou_tard
January 27th, 2007, 07:48 AM
About 6 years ago I started excercising (weights & cardio) and went on a diet. After I lost the weight I needed I have just eaten what I want, which happens to lean toward protein, nuts, & veggies anyway. My cholesteral is excellent, very low total and of that most of it is the good kind.

But over the last 6 months or so, my weight has creeped up a tiny bit. I'm still eating and exercising the same as before. I think that your body goes through metabolic plateaus as yor age. It slowly lowers the thermometer.

Guess I might have to actually figure out how much I should be eating & of what.

My big problem over the last 2 years is a f@cking wart. It's on my index finger exactly where I place my pick. I've had it frozen a gazillion times, they covered it with blister beetle juice another gazillion times, and I am now two weeks into the second "surgical" removal. This entails taking a hot micropoker and burning around the outside of the area (about a 1/2" diameter in my case) mmmm the smell of burning finger! Then they remove the plug & scrap away until they get cleanly into the dermis. I am left with a deep crater that slowly heals. The dermatologist is always amazed that I watch this procedure.

This time they gave me some Retin-A and things are looking good.

I still have to put the pick between my thumb and middle finger. At first I couldn't strum & I still can't fingerpick.

I'm throwing a no more wart party when its good and gone. Anybody want to come? :D

SixStringJoe
January 27th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I'm quite healthy for my age too, probably look about 5 years younger. Fortunately, I don't have the usual ailments that catch with guys in their mid 40s. Maybe a few extra pounds, thats all. Work out for about 4 months and take a break and get at it again. Yeah, you're right, playing the guitar is good therapy. I also have a few drinks everyday and personally beleive that it's does me good. Quite smoking a few years back but of late, I've being 'keeping in touch' :)

Justaguyin_nc
January 28th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Hitting 50's hard... holes in lungs.. smoke.. drink.. hardly work out , unless the door on the fridge don't open and I want a beer.. than I apply some more pressure.. get up in pain..lay down in pain.. basicly..its a pain... but I smile alot and can get around still.. gonna buy one of those scooters in Jackass2 once I hit mid 50's... if I make it...;) Oh, I own guns and can still shoot straight so Karate etc not needed.. :)

Tone2TheBone
January 28th, 2007, 11:28 PM
....Oh, I own guns and can still shoot straight so Karate etc not needed.. :)

AHA guns! The making of another thread. :) A man ain't a man unless he's got

1) a gun

2) a truck

3) a chainsaw

4) a guitar

;) :D