PDA

View Full Version : Slide with normal tuning

Robert
September 24th, 2005, 08:21 AM
I am not good at playing slide. I'd like to learn though. My goal is to be able to play decent slide stuff with normal tuning. Any tips? I know Johnny Winter is a master at this, but I have heck of time figuring out how he does what he does.

Tone2TheBone
September 26th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Robster,

An easy practice is listening to Tush by ZZ Top. That solo is a real good primer for slide guitar work with regular tuning. Its easily done after you get it in your head. Don't forget the sweet slide vibratos!!!

Robert
October 2nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks Rob, I need to get a better slide than the wimpy Dunlop glass slide I have. Slide should be heavy.

Tone2TheBone
October 4th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I lost my steel slide...don't even know when...but I did. Yes get the steel ones...its not blues if you don't play steel slide. (just kidding).

tremoloman
October 8th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Another easy song to get you started with slide is 'In My Time of Dying' from Led Zeppelin. I used this as my 1st slide song, then retuned my 12-string so we could play 'Traveling Riverside Blues' live. You don't hear that one live too often, so it gets a good reaction. :)

Hophead
November 6th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I am not good at playing slide. I'd like to learn though. My goal is to be able to play decent slide stuff with normal tuning. Any tips? I know Johnny Winter is a master at this, but I have heck of time figuring out how he does what he does.

Johnny Winter is indeed a master of slide but I can't think of any songs off hand that he plays in standard tuning.