PDA

View Full Version : Advice for budding slide players?

tremoloman
January 1st, 2006, 08:22 PM
I can play a little bit of slide on what I deem simple slide songs, such as Traveling Riverside Blues & In My Time of Dying by Led Zeppelin. I’ve been told these tunes are the equivalent to playing Ramones stuff when it comes to slide. I want to stop being a hack and finally learn how to play "real" slide so I could perform slide guitar in a blues jam. I’m limited to standard playing at the moment.

Can any of you offer some guidance to a pupil of blues slide guitar?

I've been jamming to Muddy Waters and experimenting using my 12-String acoustic, but just don’t seem to be “getting it”. Are some basic techniques I should be conscious of?

I look forward to hearing from you!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Robert
January 2nd, 2006, 12:09 AM
I'm no seasoned slide player, but I suggest playing in open E. It takes some getting used to, but it gives you a lot more opportunities for licks than a standard tuning does. Set up the guitar with high action, and use heavy strings if you can. I use a heavy brass slide, and it makes it a lot easier and better sounding than those more common thin slides. After that, just start listening to slide players and figure out some licks!

tremoloman
January 2nd, 2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks Robert!

I never thought of high action ever being a good thing, especially with my carpel tunnel and all. However it makes total sense and explains why I kept suffering from so much fret buzz. I'll raise the action on my 51'/Strat hybrid and give it a try.

Can you think of any recommended songs to learn to help develop my skills?

I remember an old VHS tape called "The A.R.M.S. Concert" from 1982 with Eric Clapto, Jimmy Page, and a host of others all jamming at the same time. EC played this awesome slide song which made me want to learn slide. I wish I knew the name of the damn song.

Again, thank you oh master!

-t (aka "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! I'm scum! I'm not worthy")