PDA

View Full Version : Using a mixer

tot_Ou_tard
January 27th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I have a XENYX 802 mixer

http://www.behringer.com/802/index.cfm?lang=ENG

whose primary purpose thus far is to mix the ouput of my Tonelab with
the output of a CD player and send the result to headphones so that I can play along with CDs.

It works great, but there are so many way to balance the levels some of which make more noise than others.

Basic question 1) what is the optimal way to balance these signals? The levels can be controlled at

1) The output levels of the sources (ie Tonelab & CD player).

2) The individual channel levels.

The overall volume can be controlled via

1) The Main Mix level

2) The Phones/Control Room level.

Should I crank any of these and control the level with the other?
One needs to avoid clipping in any case.

Question 2) I like using my RC-2 pedal but the drum beats get real ratty in front of an amp model with gain. This can be solved by putting an overdrive/distortion pedal in front of the RC-2 and running that into a clean amp model with the gain low. I keep thinking that there should be a way to send the Tonelab output into the RC-2 and the output of that into the mixer.
I am looking for a low noise way that doesn't clip & yet retains a good clean solid and loud beat from the RC-2.

I've tried sending it into my strobostomp and into the mic pres & using the FX loop, but then I get confused about the levels of the FX send vs Aux return.

There are too many ways to increase the noise and muffle the sound!

Aaiiiiieeeee!! Help!

NPauly
January 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM
This is a pretty subjective thing since I can't be sure of the tolerances of the equipment, but the general rule is that you always want the source signal to be as loud and clean as possible. Typically with consumer electronics, such as home and portable CD players, this means setting the device's volume to somewhere between half-way and two-thirds of the way up. Next you want to set the trim knob of each of your mixer channels so that the meter lights stay consistently lit up to 0 dB and only flicker above 0dB. The most important thing to remember when setting the channel trim knob is that the channel's clip light should never ever light up; if the clip light comes on during loud moments turn the trim down until it doesn't light during loud moments anymore. Now it is simply a matter of getting a volume balance between the CD Player and the Tonelab using the channel level knobs and then setting the headphone volume to a comfortable listening level.

Recap ...

- Loud & Clean Input Signal
- Trim knob set so the clip light never comes on
- Meter lights reading very slightly more than 0 dB
- Good volume balance using the channel level knobs
- Comfortable listening level using the headphone knob

It's hard to get more specific or precise than that with typical home recording and consumer electronics equipment. But as long as you let your ears be your ultimate guide the steps I listed will at least get you headed in the right direction.

tot_Ou_tard
January 27th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks NPauly. I had the output from the Tonelab and CD player all the way up until yesterday when I backed em down to exactly where you suggested.

tot_Ou_tard
January 27th, 2007, 01:58 PM
OK, I just redid my setup as to NPauly's suggestions & kept the noise under control. Thanks!!!!