PDA

View Full Version : Saw a cool one last night!

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Went to a friend's birthday party at her father's house, a gentleman named Pat Carter. Fancy event with a pianist and singer, people to take coats, a bartender and waiters, and the whole thing. He was a professional musician in the 50s, had the same manager and recorded in the same studio as Buddy Holly. He switched to promoting/producing in the Nashville are at some point. Didn't catch who he works with. But the really cool thing was that a blonde 1961 Gibson Custom 400 that he owned since that time was hanging on the wall. It looked like this:
http://www.scottymoore.net/56S400.html

Except the pups were the chrome covered humbuckers. It was really cool. This one was fitted with a big, brass colored Bigsby trem! The thing was BIG! Almost like a full acoustic with humbuckers. You can see how big it is in the arms of the Scotty Moore pictured in the link. Beautiful, warm looking, clear wood. It was hanging next to an even more vintage Gibson acoustic. (SJ body style? like a Marin OM) He also has a 50s Tele, that was not there. He is letting his grandson, a 11 year old who is in a youth band, play it. (Lucky kid!) He played with the musicians he hired on a LP type guitar by Brian Moor, like this but more a warm, brassy golden
quilt top: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Brian-Moore-Custom-DC1P.13.USB-Quilt-Top?sku=512857

I would have loved to pick his brain more, but appropriately, he was more focused on his daughter's 40th. It was a fun night.

Tone2TheBone
January 28th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Sun - I've always liked the quote on Scotty's site that Keef made on the homepage. Just before I had got my Peavey Classic 30 I had already bookmarked this site and the images of Scotty's twin 30s were a vision of inspiration for me.

There's a restaurant/lounge up in the northern part of our state where the owner is a collector of fine instruments and part of his collection is a Super 400 similar to this guitar on Scotty's site. An absolutely beautiful instrument. A fine example of the Gibson quality of yesteryear. Ahhhhhhhhh....