PDA

View Full Version : Powerhouse Strat with major feedback issues

tremoloman
January 1st, 2006, 08:45 PM
Hello everyone.

I bought a used Powerhouse Strat off eBay for short dough and made the following mods:

LSR rolling nut
Gotoh Vintage Locking Tuners
Altered the +12 db boost circuit to +30 db (same as the EC mod)
Callaham bridge assembly (block, saddles, vibrato arm, screws)
DiMarzio DP188 Pro Tracks (neck/middle), DiMarzio DP182 Fast Track 2 (bridge)
Removed dummy coil
Modern string tree
Strap locks
Custom Marilyn Monroe pickguard
Elixir .010 stringsI love this guitar, but it has given me one problem when I use it live with distortion: if I bring the volume above 6, I suffer from MAJOR feedback. If I leave it on 9 or 10, it just gives me a humming "WooooooooooomMMMMM' sound. Even with the boost circuit off, it goes nuts on 7 or above.

I thought of disconnecting the boost circuit altogether since I've got mini humbuckers installed now.

Any idea how to remedy this or what might be causing me issues?

Bigbear
March 25th, 2006, 12:47 AM
a good remedy to trouble shoot is to line your routed pickup holes with a layer or two of copper foil... see if that helps.

if not, it may be the 12db done circuit involved in those guitars... be a shame to disconnect it after all... thats why its a powerhouse strat...

check the quality of your jack also and double check the connections on the wiring... check for oxidation on the connections and wires. Also, make sure a good efficency wire is used... where you bought it used.. it may not be the origional wiring.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
March 25th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Trem , is your bridge floating or flush or do you have it blocked .. you might try checking the six screws that secure the bridge to the body , how many springs in the trem set up... shielding the inner routes will cut down on hum but wont cure the feedback issue , check your pickup heights as well , another possibility is that you may have a pickup gone microphonic .. break out the mulit meter and have at it bro...the 30dB boost might be the issue with the dimarzios, but i doubt it ..its one of two things set up and hardware or electronic...nice choice on the mods to that baby by the way .. one more thought , maple or rosewood board ? ..6S9L