PDA

View Full Version : Clean Boost Pedal 19 Sixty 3

Robert
January 29th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Clean Boost Pedal 19 Sixty 3

www.Gtrwrks.com make this nice clean boost pedal. It has a lot of output in it. It is in fact reproducing the preamp section from Blackface Fender amps from the early to mid sixties.

I am doing more vids soon with this pedal, since I really like it.

Take a listen - http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-30.php

The SX Strat is a bit messed up right now and sounds a bit weird on this clip. I am about to give her an overhaul very soon. One thing I'll do is give her a neck from a '51.

And as always, let me know your thoughts!

Robert

oldguy
January 29th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Robert,
I realize it's hard to capture a live sound on a clip. I keep trying, usually w/o much success. Here's my thoughts, tho...
The playing with only your amp was good. Really good.
The playing with the 19 sixty 3 was only marginally better, to my ears.
I heard a little boost, but it really didn't sound much better than your playing through your amp, IMO.
The playing w/ the 19-63...plus the Bad Monkey... THAT was the sound, at least to my ears. THAT sound cut through and was really kick'n.
Just my opinion..
Of course, when you've got the chops to start with, it sounds gooood.
And it's hard to convey to others what you hear live in the room as you're recording it.
But I liked the take w/ the Monk, the 1-9-6-3, and you jammin'...

Spudman
January 29th, 2007, 11:12 PM
It did fatten up the sound to my ears.
Couldn't you achieve the same results just turning up the Monkey output? Or is it that you want to be able to boost then cut back at will?
What order did you run the Monkey and the 1963?

Jimi75
January 30th, 2007, 02:33 AM
I think the pedal does a great job. It slightly fattens the sound and what is most important, it doesn't change the original sound to much, at least I could not hear a loss in the basses or mids or so.

For this job I used a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz and set it very clean, it was great when I wanted to give the rhythm work a certain crunch, without distorting to much.

stingx
January 30th, 2007, 07:30 AM
A similar product is the HAO Rust Booster. You can google for sound clips. I have the Rust Booster II and it does a fantastic job of driving the amp without coloring the sound. Not unlike the boosters used by Clapton and Blackmore.

Robert
January 30th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the feedback. This boost is very clean, and I prefer to use with the clean amp. I noticed it doesn't appear as a huge difference, but when you play, it really is.

I used the boost pedal last. It doesn't color the tone, like a OD pedal like the Monkey does. It's more than a volume boost, it makes the notes "jump" out of the amp more.

I will make more vids with it, and also with my Micro Amp, which is slightly different.

Spudman
February 20th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Well, you got me with this one.

I finally pulled out of the box my Behringer PB100. Yes, a clean boost DOES MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE! I'm sold. I don't know how I ever lived without pushing the signal like this before. It's great!

In the past I've used a graphic EQ pedal to get some gain but it is way different than a clean boost pedal. I really like it. It's hard to play with it off now. The guitar is just so much bigger sounding and more responsive.

sunvalleylaw
February 20th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Hey, those PB100s look pretty reasonable. May have to put that on the pedal list!

Robert
February 21st, 2007, 08:17 AM
Ya, told ya!! I never play with a clean sound on my tube amp without da booster. The amp blooms like a field of roses in the summer.

snarph
February 21st, 2007, 08:55 AM
Kind of reminds me of an exciter circuit which is one of my favorite toys

Tone2TheBone
February 21st, 2007, 10:01 AM
Rob - What is the difference between the Micro Amp and that one?

Robert
February 21st, 2007, 10:32 AM
The 19 Sixty 3 has more volume boost, and distorts less when you turn it up.

It is actually a copy of a mid-60s Fender blackface preamp circuit.

oldguy
March 31st, 2007, 07:08 PM
Robert,
Do you think this pedal would boost a small amp like the ValveJr head without adding much distortion? The reason I ask is I've been modding my VJ head and would like it a little louder, but without more distortion.
I've about got it to where I want it as far as the gain is concerned, and it is almost loud enough, but not quite for live playing situations.

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2007, 08:28 PM
I've heard good things about the Barber Launchpad:

http://www.barberelectronics.com/LaunchPad.htm

Robert
March 31st, 2007, 09:52 PM
Oldguy - absolutely! It does a great volume boost, without adding a lot of distortion. I think you would love this pedal. It sounds amazing.