PDA

View Full Version : To Vista or not to Vista....

Tone2TheBone
January 30th, 2007, 12:26 PM
...that is my question to you.....

I'm tired of seeing the "windows" theme to MS's OS aren't you...

sunvalleylaw
January 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Nope, I am already running the latest OSX which Vista tries to copy. (not that Apple never got ideas from elsewhere). I have a copy of Windows that I can run on my newer intel mac, but I never seem to have the need. Since you pretty much have to buy a new box to run Vista, why buy a box that only runs the contender copying the front runner, and trying to catch up? (ok, ducking now). ;-)

Tone2TheBone
January 30th, 2007, 12:36 PM
My next personal computer is wanting to be a Mac...you get no arguments from me there. But as far as Vista goes for PC...I'm just wondering what the noise is all about.

Myles
January 31st, 2007, 09:30 AM
I have a number of friends that go the Mac route based on the hype of its better, fast, more secure, etc

What they don't tell you of course is that no one knows anything about Macs. You have to figure it out by yourself and your software choices are much more limited and god help you if you are a gamer.

There are always trade-offs, if Macs truly were superior they'd be the only computers we used.

Jimi75
January 31st, 2007, 09:34 AM
Why Vista? It is so funny, you install it and within 24h you have to make a load full of updates! Why so, I mean this product is new.

I use and record with my PC and it runs on Windows XP. I never experienced any bigger problems so I am not going "to vista"!

Never change a running system!

marnold
January 31st, 2007, 09:34 AM
Unless you are planning to sink a bunch of money in hardware, I see no reason to upgrade. I made the executive decision not to upgrade to WinXP and instead moved everything over to Linux. My work computer uses XP. I don't think I'm missing anything.

SuperSwede
January 31st, 2007, 10:36 AM
I have a number of friends that go the Mac route based on the hype of its better, fast, more secure, etc

What they don't tell you of course is that no one knows anything about Macs. You have to figure it out by yourself and your software choices are much more limited and god help you if you are a gamer.

There are always trade-offs, if Macs truly were superior they'd be the only computers we used.

My response is not meant to offend anyone, and not intended to start a platform war here!

Its true that there isnt as many games on the Mac, but we get most of the AAA games. If you are a hardcore gamer you should get a fat PC or a XBox360/PS3 instead. That said, here is some nice links for mac gamers :

www.insidemacgames.com
www.macgamer.com
www.macgamefiles.com

I´d say that there is no real limitation when it comes to software for macs, and many fantastic apps on the mac doesnt have a real equivalent on the PC (iLife among others).

Vital, "nobody knows anything about macs" ? That depends on who you hang out with, and most of my family/friends have "switched" to macs. I usually help out my friends with their computers, and the ones who have Macs now never needs any help, it just works!
I´m not saying that PC´s with Windows are bad, but that MacOS X are better, especially for those with little or no previous computer experience.

Tone2TheBone
January 31st, 2007, 10:46 AM
I was talking with one of my co-workers yesterday about Macs and he did point out that Macs are more expensive than PCs. Like 3x more is that about right?
Do you get 3x more computer? Just something I remembered.

SuperSwede
January 31st, 2007, 10:56 AM
Tone, you got to compare with PC´s with the same components. Expensive? Sure... Worth it? Oh yes.
Check out http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore

sunvalleylaw
January 31st, 2007, 11:04 AM
That is not really the case when you compare identically outfitted products. There have been a few recent articles in various PC pubs on the subject. Apples do tend to come more fully decked out though. Tone, your original question was whether to jump to Vista. I have worked in both PC and Mac environments. The Mac side has always been easier for me and my small biz scenario, not to mention iLife with managing photos, tunes, movies, and garageband. I have never really had the need for network or computer consultants on my macs. By and large, with some exceptions, (I have had an issue with the sound card portion of my motherboard on the iMac duo which is being fixed under warranty) it has just worked for me, running a network of a couple machines and a HP laser printer from 1995. But that is just what works for me.

Back to the original question. If windows xp works for what you or anyone else is doing on current equipment, then I would think you would just stick with it. If you are upgrading machines, or looking at Vista, I think you should really go look at the Macs. They run Windows too now if you want, and if you are buying a new machine, you might as well look. If you buy one, you may or may not want to run windows on it. I just never find the need to. Vitamyles is right that a lot of people you talk to (Qwest DSL as an example), don't have much of a clue with Macs. But that is getting better, and I don't have to spend a lot of time figuring things out. I don't game much so no opinion there. Last time I gamed much was the old Myst game in the 90s. My computer "goof off" time is mostly spent here with you fine fellows! :-)

EDIT: I have a copy of the latest Windows xp pro to run on my iMac for some legal software (idaho child support calculator) that is not written for Macs. I don't intend on upgrading it to Vista, though I hear the current Macs run it just swell.

Tone2TheBone
January 31st, 2007, 11:04 AM
I work for a government agency (city) and the city uses PCs exclusively. Always have. All my work software is PC based. I couldn't justify the use of a Mac at work....the request for one would get denied big time. As for home....well I'd not only have to shell out more money on a very nice Mac...but I'd also have to buy more software for it (again more money). These considerations would have to be weighed in if I was to think about getting a Mac at home. It would be cool as hell though....but expensive. Think of all the cool guitars and amphs and pedals and modelers I could get instead!

;)

I'm not planning on going over to Vista. XP works fine for me. I think the only way I'd ever get it is if it were installed on a new computer that I'd get in the future.

sunvalleylaw
January 31st, 2007, 11:10 AM
I work for a government agency (city) and the city uses PCs exclusively. Always have. All my work software is PC based. I couldn't justify the use of a Mac at work....the request for one would get denied big time. As for home....well I'd not only have to shell out more money on a very nice Mac...but I'd also have to buy more software for it (again more money). These considerations would have to be weighed in if I was to think about getting a Mac at home. It would be cool as hell though....but expensive. Think of all the cool guitars and amphs and pedals and modelers I could get instead!

;)

I'm not planning on going over to Vista. XP works fine for me. I think the only way I'd ever get it is if it were installed on a new computer that I'd get in the future.

You and I posted at the same time. Make sure you read my post. When you get to a new machine, make sure you look at a Mac. You might be surprised by the comparison. Plus, there are some great amps modeled in the software that comes with the machine!

Tone2TheBone
January 31st, 2007, 11:18 AM
You and I posted at the same time. Make sure you read my post. When you get to a new machine, make sure you look at a Mac. You might be surprised by the comparison. Plus, there are some great amps modeled in the software that comes with the machine!

How does Mac run PC based software? Does it emulate the OS?

SuperSwede
January 31st, 2007, 11:25 AM
How does Mac run PC based software? Does it emulate the OS?

No, the latest macs have Intel Core Duo processors which allows the Mac to boot up windows just as any PC.

Tone2TheBone
January 31st, 2007, 11:46 AM
Reeee heee heee eeeeeeally? *done in his best Ace Ventura imitation* I was unaware that Macs had this capability. That's pretty cool hoss.

duhvoodooman
January 31st, 2007, 12:07 PM
I have XP running on 4 PC's at home (one Pro, three Home), and have no intentions of upgrading to Vista any time soon. XP is stable and has the features we (me, wife, 2 teenagers) need and use. So an "OS platform change" is nothing our home network Sysop (me!) has any interest in doing! Not to mention the expense! :eek:

sunvalleylaw
January 31st, 2007, 01:46 PM
Reeee heee heee eeeeeeally? *done in his best Ace Ventura imitation* I was unaware that Macs had this capability. That's pretty cool hoss.

Not only that, but they can run to OS's at once, switching back and forth between OS's without re-booting, using this:

http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd10_2/?gclid=CKPAh_uti4oCFSb-YAodxVOOdw

:)

Justaguyin_nc
January 31st, 2007, 06:16 PM
I always tend to wait for the new windows version to settle in.. maybe a year after launch all the updates and bugs will then be gone... it's just normal these days to use the open public as testers.. something is bound to be wrong in Vista...but it will be fixed.. eventually.. products will be made just for Vista and than the sswitch will be made... hopefully at a cheaper price.

marnold
January 31st, 2007, 06:38 PM
I always tend to wait for the new windows version to settle in.. maybe a year after launch all the updates and bugs will then be gone... it's just normal these days to use the open public as testers.. something is bound to be wrong in Vista...but it will be fixed.. eventually.. products will be made just for Vista and than the sswitch will be made... hopefully at a cheaper price.
Yes, to Justa you listen. A good rule of thumb would be to wait until the first service pack comes out and it doesn't blow anything up.

I moved to Linux because I just finally wanted to get off the Windows treadmill. I got sick of forking over $$ for a new OS and then new utilities, etc. It's not something I jumped into at a moment's notice. I dual-booted for a long time. Then I kept dual-booting but made Linux the primary OS. Then I nuked Windows altogether. That way, I was absolutely sure I knew what I was doing and was ready to roll.

These days with Firefox, Thunderbird, and OpenOffice.org, there's no reason for people to at least consider Linux. If you don't want to take the full plunge, snag a live CD and give it a spin. The only thing I "miss" from Windows is some games. As it is, my box is so long in the tooth that it can't run any new games anyway. I can run the Quake, Doom, and Unreal Tournament games plus Neverwinter Nights natively. I've gotten the Jedi Knight games and Half-Life 2 running under Cedega. I do wish that I could mess with some of the cool recording and guitar effects software. Audacity does the trick for me for now.

Justaguyin_nc
May 11th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Yes, to Justa you listen.
To bad Justa doesn't listen to justa..lol

Anyways...I upgraded my computer last week.. Actually got a whole new setup. It was a darn good deal once I started piecing parts together.

I finally moved into the faster world around 3ghz under AMD 64 x2 and up to sata drives etc etc.. Asus motherboard.. Better Nvidia graphics card.. threw in a 19 inch flat monitor.. Man you can't build one for what they sell these for now!

The only bad thing.. with the deal came Windows Vista Home Premium installed. I kinda had a bad taste about it but said I could erase it if need be.

Well, it is kinda cute.. it's probably just me but the internet seems a bit quicker..under Internet Explorer , but gives my Firefox a few extra problems in speed it had.

Also, My audigy sound setup loses a few feature for some reason with the new drivers.. still fooling with that.

Games..run about the same as for stability.. ofcourse much smoother and all effects on..but thats the card not the vista..

I seemed totally lost in the operations.. it has Vista mode and "Classic" mode but it still seems like they changed things around just for the heck of it.

Overall.. will keep it for now.. not much difference and if it was not included I would not be running it.. not worth it to me..

The only thing I like is a cute way to show all your windows.. and thats about it... heres a pic of it.. nothing special..

duhvoodooman
May 11th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Hey, Justa, I see Far Cry on your desk top. How do you like it? Have you played it all the way through yet? In addition to being visually stunning, I found it to be perhaps the toughest FPS game I'd ever played. The final level was just unbelievably difficult, IMO. I generally go back and play a game a second time, but once through Far Cry was plenty for me!!

Justaguyin_nc
May 11th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Hey, Justa, I see Far Cry on your desk top. How do you like it? Have you played it all the way through yet?

Actually, I cannot remember a game I have played thru all the way locally.. I always buy online shooters-strat games and fight there.. just seems more challenging then trying to figure out what the makers wanted you to find or do in a room.

Farcry is a beauty of a game though.. I use to run it on low detail and man it just jumps out at me now... very well done..

I put it on the system just to see what the FarCry Benchtest would say and see how well it ran under Vista.. it runs fine.. although with every game there is a quirk. Under Vista you lose mouse control untill you hit "Defaults" in the controls menu.. then everything works.. got me.. just more bugs to deal with.. but there is usually a cure.

Latest Game is Rainbow Vegas.. but you cant put your face on the players like in the xbox versions... but you can still kill people..:)

Did you see Medival II on there? Another pretty awesome game..

Vista is handling everything pretty good so far except my Audigy Card.. but I am sure it will work out.

Oh, And I had a few Updates from Microsoft already... sheesh.. we are their beta team ya know...

Justaguyin_nc
May 15th, 2007, 08:35 AM
:rolleyes: My update on Vista... :eek:

It's still to early folks... That idea wait for a year or two still holds.. if not for gettng this free.. it would not be here! I am always getting auto updates from microdoze.. The system keeps ending programs on me for no apparent reasons and then offers to find the reason for it.. which, just never happens.. lol... I believe they did something to make firefox work like sheeet.. so you have to use their browser (just my opinion) .. even Audacity beta hangs at times. I have a firewire interface I wanted to try out.. no Vista Drivers available.. My Audigy Card has many features under XP and below.. but very few with the Vista Drivers at the present time making it about useless. alot of Freeware/shareware programs seem to be no goes , mainly from using the older DirectX I believe.

it's a big headache to say the least.. things that should work without thought.. are taking all your thought just to get them to work.

I even have installed benchmark programs that worked.. then did not.. then did.. then did not.. lol.. and they suppose to test the systems.

Vista, for those looking for a fight!

Tone2TheBone
May 15th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Is XP expected to be obsolete anytime soon though?

WackyT
May 15th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I already got my copy of Vista Ultimate 32-bit for my Dell E1705, but I'm not going to install it & replace XP Pro until Service Pack 1 comes out for Vista later this year. That ought to be about the same time "Longhorn", the server side of Vista, is released also. Then I can start on upgrading my Microsoft certs.

pie_man_25
May 15th, 2007, 01:50 PM
/\ this guy is making a smarter decision, but it won't completely work.

also...

Nope, I am already running the latest OSX which Vista tries to copy. (not that Apple never got ideas from elsewhere). I have a copy of Windows that I can run on my newer intel mac, but I never seem to have the need. Since you pretty much have to buy a new box to run Vista, why buy a box that only runs the contender copying the front runner, and trying to catch up? (ok, ducking now). ;-)

NO WAY, DO NOT PUT WINDOWS ON A MAC OR SUPPORT THE INTEL MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm saying this for good reasons:

1) mac should stick with mac OS, you can't get viruses that way,
2)mac was better with the motorola chip, the only processor that runs at 400 megs that can beat a gigahert processor is the motorola, Intel pales in comparison.
3) Windows SUCKS, vista especially, this is DOS 4.0 ALL OVER AGAIN, they keep pulling off the same shit, except this time they have a GUI.
4) If you have a PC, get Linux, more efficient, better networks, and different construction so you can't get viruses
5) upgrading to vista sucks the balls, but if you get a new computer with it built in, it should be fine.

listen to my rant, I know my shit.

zeusse
May 15th, 2007, 01:57 PM
My Pc has XP Pro and the laptop I just got has Vista so I'm testing the theory...stay tuned.