PDA

View Full Version : Frets too big ?

paulh
January 30th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Hi All,
Decided to replace my Epi Les Paul with a Gibson and went shopping last weekend. Horror of horrors - all the LPs I picked up had railway track for frets. Is this a new initiative for Gibson ? I found the Gibson a lot harder to play than my Epi ( OK I realise I’m not used to bigger frets, and I suppose I would play it in ). Are these massive frets now standard on LPs ?

I nearly bought a used PRS McCarty instead, but decided to ask for thoughts and opinions here first. Please feel free.

Paul

Tone2TheBone
January 30th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Gibson LP guitars are normally equiped with jumbo frets yes. Unless they are on some '58 reissues and Goldtop LPs. Those are slightly smaller. There are some '58s with jumbos too. My Gibson LP Studio has jumbo frets but they are the "fretless wonder" flat jumbos which are very comfortable to play as they are wide but flat.

Jimi75
January 31st, 2007, 04:12 AM
Hello Paul,

You will be facing a hard time finding a Paula with smaller frets.
I know that the Epis are differently equipped and "easier" to play, but it really depends on how far you are used to play jumbo frets. I get along with them perfect, but if you have any doubt please get the PRS. In the end you want to take the guitar, play and have fun and you do not want to think about this and that every time you pick up the guitar. Erase the things that might keep you from pure playing!

Have fun! Enjoy the PRS and rock it! For the Paula stay with your Epi.

Greetz
Jimi

Big_Rob
January 31st, 2007, 01:07 PM
I prefer jumbo frets myself.

paulh
January 31st, 2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks folks for replies, I appreciate it.

Got some thinking and testing to do.

paul