PDA

View Full Version : Line 6 Guitarport or similar

Robert
January 30th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I am looking for a decent recording-only tool. I can't mic my amps most of the time because of the noise level.

I don't really want a big pedalboard that can also be used live. I want something for decent home recording only. It would be great to have it hooked up to the computer sound card all the time.

So, was thinking the Line 6 Guitarport would do the trick. Can you tell more about this unit? How different is it from the POD units?

Feel free to suggest other gadgets too.

Spudman
January 30th, 2007, 08:13 PM
It basically is the computer version of a POD if I'm not mistaken. I suggest just checking their website and see what they can tell you. I use mine from time to time and like what I can get with it.

They are inexpensive and small, but all you'll have is a unit that can only work when it is hooked up to the computer. I'd suggest to just go for a regular POD XT. It will do it all. If you find later that you are using it live you can then add the optional foot controller.

So...next trip to the music store take your headphones and plan on spending at least an hour with one. You'll probably really like it.

Lev
January 31st, 2007, 02:35 AM
Agree with Spuds suggestion. Another point of note is that once you plug the PODxt into a USB port on your computer it actually becomes a sound card. Therefore you don't need to worry about upgrading your PC sound card because the POD takes care of everything. Mine is permanently attached to my PC with speakers plugged into it, I have it selected as the main audio device so all sounds produced by my PC come through the POD. When I want to play guitar I just plug into the input port on the POD and away you go - no resetting devices, plugging unplugging cables etc.

SuperSwede
January 31st, 2007, 04:26 AM
Robert, I would not suggest the toneport. Sure, its a great line6 product but a separate modeler would offload the computer (modeling is pretty CPU intensive) and allow for more plugins/tracks instead. You can also bring a standalone modeler to your favorite optician store for a gig.
I would of course like to recommend a blue valvereactor equipped desktop modeler.

oldguy
January 31st, 2007, 06:32 AM
I am looking for a decent recording-only tool. I can't mic my amps most of the time because of the noise level.
I don't really want a big pedalboard that can also be used live. I want something for decent home recording only. It would be great to have it hooked up to the computer sound card all the time.

Feel free to suggest other gadgets too.

Here's another gadget, but I can't suggest anything more than having a look, as I've never used one. I'm seriously thinking of buying one myself right now, tho...

Never tried on of these but if you'll be leaving it hooked up all the time, and don't want something big or bulky it might be worth looking into...
I certainlly doesn't look big or bulky...

http://www.stealthplug.com/Main.php?prod-SP.php

I see you can try some of the sounds for 10 days on a trial basis,as well.

http://www.stealthplug.com/Main.php?Download.php

Has anybody used this product? I've only seen it online. I've heard good comments about the Amplitube sounds, but no firsthand experience.

Robert
January 31st, 2007, 08:23 AM
SS, the Tonelab is so big. I want something small beside my computer that I can plug into and without moving stuff around on my table every time I want to play. That's why you never see me record on your guys' backing tracks - I don't have anything set up for recording, and I hate the sound of line out from my Vox.

I said Guitarport initially, but there is also the Toneport - what is the difference?

Jimi75
January 31st, 2007, 09:55 AM
SS, the Tonelab is so big. I want something small beside my computer that I can plug into and without moving stuff around on my table every time I want to play. That's why you never see me record on your guys' backing tracks - I don't have anything set up for recording, and I hate the sound of line out from my Vox.

I said Guitarport initially, but there is also the Toneport - what is the difference?

Everything related to the Guitarport takes place online, like excercises and lessons, a huge package I would say. Anyway, in my eyes you can cover all your needs with the Toneport if you do not want to carry around stuff or wanna gig with it. The Tonpeport UX1 is very small. Hey, my children didn't even recognize that ther is something new standing on the PC and this really means something because they discover everything usually *lol*

The sounds are Vetta II quality = paradise.

SuperSwede
January 31st, 2007, 10:22 AM

Erhm.. get a bigger table? :p
Seriously, the sounds quality from software modelers is great. There are a lot of options available (Line6, Guitar Rig2, Amplitude2 and so on).

Robert
January 31st, 2007, 01:51 PM
The Toneport looks mighty attractive... I can also get good bass sounds with it, which is a great bonus since I really need that for my jazz bass.

A POD would be great too in case I want to play it without my computer, but I don't think I would do that very much though. I have amps for that.

Any more thoughts before I go off any buy something on a whim? :)

Spudman
January 31st, 2007, 07:30 PM
POD! That way you also have a back up amph to take to gigs. You'll like twiddling the POD XT's knobs better than doing every change in software on the computer. Sure it costs more but you'll get so much more.

Lev
February 1st, 2007, 02:38 AM
Yep POD, it is quite fiddly editing everything on the computer screen, I prefer to turn the dials. Also you can download a bass pack for the POD too.

oldguy
February 2nd, 2007, 05:11 AM
I had originally suggested a look at the Stealthplug because of it's extreme small size and the fact that it includes Amplitube 2 plus recording and eq'ing software. But for computer recording only.
But given the fact that the Valvetronix sounds are so good and you already know Vox quality, why not the Tonelab? The newer version is supposed to be great for recording, live use, everything.
There is a SE and the newer LE. I'm thinking on one or the other myself, but I don't know that the LE is such a greater bargain than the SE, aside from a few extra presets. IRS refund not that far off.... must .....wait.....GAS taking...control.....:D

Robert
February 2nd, 2007, 07:22 AM
oldguy, it seems to me the Tonelab is a bit big and clumsy?

The Toneport doesn't cost much either. It also is designed for playing bass, from what I can tell. That is a great thing for me, as I do also play bass.

oldguy
February 2nd, 2007, 07:40 AM
Yes, it is bigger, I was more thinking of those delicious Valvereactor sounds than size. I need to do some checking on the Toneport, I'm not familiar with it .:rolleyes:

SuperSwede
February 2nd, 2007, 02:57 PM
Robert, the tonelab is very heavy, and definately bigger than most modelers. You dont exactly throw it into your gigbag...

Robert
February 2nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
My search is over. I just bought a Toneport UX1 from our Fret friend Rabies!

In a few weeks, I hope to be able to post some sweet guitar tones for my fretting friends here... :R

Just hope my somewhat old computer can handle this thing. :eek:

Spudman
February 2nd, 2007, 04:37 PM
My search is over. I just bought a Toneport UX1 from our Fret friend Rabies!

Oh no! Not the UX1! Really? Has yours been sent in on the factory recall yet?

Just kidding. neener neener :D

warren0728
February 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
hey spud....i'm honored to be quoted in your sig!! :D :DR

ww