PDA

View Full Version : Ten Days Out: Kenny Wayne Shepherd

marnold
February 2nd, 2007, 10:11 AM
I just heard about this on another forum. Kenny Wayne Shepherd has a new CD/DVD out. Basically he and Double Trouble went around and found these old-time blues greats and jammed with them. This will be my next music purchase. Check out the Ten Days Out (http://www.tendaysout.net/) site for all of the goodies. Very cool stuff.

marnold
February 7th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I just got the CD/DVD combo yesterday. I listened to the CD in the car on the way home and watched the DVD last night. Tremendous stuff. Even my wife really liked the DVD, even though she's not a big fan of the blues.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
February 7th, 2007, 12:43 PM
KWS is the real deal .. he has ungodly tone and has worked at payin his dues .. a real bluesman in the old sense .. unlike the john mayers of the world who are a record co's idea of how to sell the blues ,, mayer is painfull to watch and do you think john has ever realy had the blues , oh except the one time his ps2 broke and he had to wait 4 hours for his mother to go get a new one for him ... KENNY WAYNE and JOHN DA-LAME the two ends of the young blues spectrum...

Robert
February 7th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Easy bro, we have many John Mayer fans here. I like Mayer too. I like Kenny as well.

Let's be open minded and respect each other's views.

warren0728
February 7th, 2007, 12:54 PM
i've seen KWS live a couple of times and he puts on a great show....gonna have to go get that cd/dvd.

ww

marnold
February 7th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I think this album is a major step forward in the blues department for KWS. I bought "Live On" after only hearing a couple of tracks. Overall, I didn't think much of the album and haven't listened to it much since (although I may revisit it now). "Ten Days Out" is about as blues as you can get. He shows some serious blues chops. I also like how he stayed out of the way of his heroes instead of trying to out-solo them or solo all over them. I definitely could detect an SRV influence in both his tone and some of his phrasing.

Spudman
February 7th, 2007, 06:46 PM
KWS is the real deal .. he has ungodly tone and has worked at payin his dues .. a real bluesman in the old sense .. unlike the john mayers of the world who are a record co's idea of how to sell the blues ,, mayer is painfull to watch and do you think john has ever realy had the blues , oh except the one time his ps2 broke and he had to wait 4 hours for his mother to go get a new one for him ... KENNY WAYNE and JOHN DA-LAME the two ends of the young blues spectrum...

I think you'll find out that the blues that John Mayer does is his idea. Not the record company. The record companies wanted him to do another "Wonderland" but he said "no". He spent several years working on Continuum, his latest album and it's quite good. And if you talk to John he does get the blues. That's what happens when you fight for your identity with a record company and try to make a living playing what you believe in.

It's a little unfair to say JM isn't the real deal. IF he wasn't then Buddy Guy sure as heck wouldn't be playing with him now would he?

KWS is a fine guitar player. I managed to say "Hi" to him when he played 4 blocks from my house, but if you think he's the real deal then you are missing the truth. Mark Selby has written many of Kenny's popular songs and songs in general. Mark Selby IS the real deal.

So lets stick to the topic. A new Kenny Wayne album. Hurray! I have every album he has done so far. I can hardly wait to get it.:)

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2007, 09:05 PM
6S9L I think you got John Mayer backward. He worked really hard as a kid trying to be the next SRV. He discovered that there were others trying to do the same thing & discovered the world beyond the pentatonic scale (ie pop). Now he's fighting his record company so that he can play what he wants the way he wants to.

You may not like it, that's fine, but I think arguments about how he isn't real are a tad boring. Live & let play, I always say.

http://home.earthlink.net/~theseeker3/pics/tooter.gif
"Tutor, tutor. I always tell you. Be just vat you iz, not vat you iz not. Folx what do zis are the happiest lot".

Lev
February 8th, 2007, 04:45 AM
I'm a big John Mayer fan but will no doubt buy the KWS CD based on the reviews from my respected peers here in the Fret. It is easy to brand JM as an imposter, he's had success with radio friendly pop songs, he's dated some tabloid celebrities (I would too!!) & he has a large female fan base (oh, I probably wouldn't complain about that either). All in all not your traditional bluesman - I'll give you that!!

I would however encourage anyone who thinks he's not a credible artist to look beyond the tabloid talk and listen to the man play the guitar. As others have said he has gone against the record company norm by not releasing another 'pop' record - how many other artists in the last 10 years have had a a top 10 CD with a Hendrix cover on it?

So, has he ever had the blues?? He's a human being, everyone's life has ups and downs and we all draw on our life experiences through art (either creatively or in appreciation). I have been fortunate enough so far in my 33 years on this planet not to have been visited with too much pain or tragedy in my life (thank God). Does this mean that playing the blues is not something that I should aspire to? Coz my life has been too easy? Surely not.

6S9L - I'm not trying to have a go at what you were saying and I completely respect your opinion but I just wanted to give some inputs about why I think JM does deserve some credit. If nothing else I have been inspired by some of his playing and for that reason I'll keep listeneing to him! Peace!

6STRINGS 9LIVES
February 8th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Hey guys ,its just my opinion , nobody is saying that those who like john mayer are outta step or anything ,, it's just my opinion and i dont mind stating it .. and i respectfully read your comments on john mayer and take them for what they are worth , they are your opinions , and i do appreciate your efforts to enlighten me , but in this case i am truly a lost cause, dont need no lectures on if i am missing ther truth ,dont forget my opinion is just as valid as yours and as long as i dont disparage another fretter , no harm no foul right ?..right?..

Tone2TheBone
February 8th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I appreciate anyone that plays any kind of music but especially the blues. Heck if John were one of us here at the Fret I'd support him just as I know a lot of you would too if it were one of our brothers playing. I'd appreciate any of you guys's efforts. *stands and applauds you guys* It's ok to make fun of other players though, I do it all the time. hahahaha (JUST KIDDING WINKY WINK ;)) But I still appreciate what they do.

How long is the DVD marnold? I'll check out Best Buy tomorrow. I love my music DVDs!

Lev
February 8th, 2007, 09:55 AM
dont forget my opinion is just as valid as yours and as long as i dont disparage another fretter , no harm no foul right ?..right?..

absolutely - no harm at all ! :)

Myles
February 8th, 2007, 11:49 AM
For those interested, http://www.utulsa.edu/collegian/article.asp?article=3183 has a nice, easy read about "10 Days Out"

It’s odd to call “10 Days Out” a Kenny Wayne Shepherd album, considering he is not the featured musician on any of its songs, but it is his brainchild.

warren0728
February 8th, 2007, 12:00 PM
i just picked up both the kws cd/dvd and john mayers continuum...

listened to mayer while running errands and on first listen it doesn't knock me out. Nice tunes but still a little popish to me...not very bluesy...

gotta run to the doc later and it will be kws time....stay tuned!

ww

Tone2TheBone
February 8th, 2007, 12:40 PM
The John Mayer Trio disk is a better one imo.

marnold
February 8th, 2007, 05:23 PM
How long is the DVD marnold? I'll check out Best Buy tomorrow. I love my music DVDs!
It's an hour and 45 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised with how long it was. Don't do like I did and waste a lot of time looking through the music DVD section. It's in the CDs. The one package has two discs with the CD and the DVD.

Tone2TheBone
February 8th, 2007, 07:39 PM
It's an hour and 45 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised with how long it was. Don't do like I did and waste a lot of time looking through the music DVD section. It's in the CDs. The one package has two discs with the CD and the DVD.

Cool thanks for the tip marnold!

tot_Ou_tard
February 8th, 2007, 08:34 PM
,dont forget my opinion is just as valid as yours and as long as i dont disparage another fretter , no harm no foul right ?..right?..
Live & let (insert your favorite verb), I always say. :D

Jimi75
February 9th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Is it more the DVD or the CD tha fascinates us? It so great that this movie has been made. I love all movies about the blues and what Kenny presents us here is true passion for the blues.

If Stevie was still alive he would definitely say to Kenny:
"Welcome back kid!"

After his last cd I thought this guy started tripping ground that I could not follow - it was not my deal, so I kept listening to his former cds.

10 days out brings him right back on track.

Man, I think I'm gonna take my ten days, too!

One thing to mention only:
Kenny doesn't look very healthy...

Lev
February 9th, 2007, 08:21 AM
After his last cd I thought this guy started tripping ground that I could not follow - it was not my deal, so I kept listening to his former cds.

...that's interesting to hear, the last CD (The Place You're In) is the only KWS CD that I've bought & wasn't that impressed - I must check out some earlier stuff.

warren0728
February 9th, 2007, 01:43 PM
well i listened to the kws cd and watched the dvd.....excellent stuff! I mean they actually went to some of the old timer blues folks and recorded sessions in their houses and such!! You could see kenny trying to follow what they were playing and like was said earlier he gave them all plenty of space to do their thing....this dvd was definitely NOT about kenny but about the blues.

I highly recommend this dvd/cd for everyone and if you are even a marginal blues fan you have to get it....

i listened to the mayer cd again today and there are a couple of good tunes on it but i would haver liked to hear more blues and less pop (just my opinion) he definitely can play and their were some nice solos....just not my favorite....

ww

Tone2TheBone
February 9th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Warren go get the JMT CD I keep telling you. You got the wrong CD. :)

warren0728
February 9th, 2007, 07:09 PM
i am going too...he is definately a great player...in fact he is on the cover of rolling stone this month with derek trucks and john frusciante for the top twenty new guitar gods story.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/13389612

i just put in the kws dvd again....man it is great to see all those old timer blues guys (and girls) talking about the old days and playing tunes....awesome

ww

grungeiceman
February 10th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Man I have been a kws fan for a while and this cd/dvd is amazing, real bright guy kws is....

warren0728
February 12th, 2007, 03:45 AM
i got the jmt cd tone....i definitely like it better than continuum....but continuum is starting to grow on me....

ww

Lev
February 12th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Continuum is definitely a grower! It actually came alive for me when I sat with my guitar and started to work out what he's playing. On first listen it sounds nice, after a couple of listens the songs start to stick in your head, then when you work the guitar parts out it's like - wow that's really cool!

Tone2TheBone
February 20th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I picked up the Kenny Wayne CD/DVD this weekend. GOOD stuff. Great blues going on. Clarence seemed pissed though. And I dig the tune Tina Marie it's got that cool groove! I never realized how young Kenny Wayne is. I didn't know too much about him. I liked that he has a profound reverance for bluesmen (and women).

Spudman
February 20th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Continuum is definitely a grower! It actually came alive for me when I sat with my guitar and started to work out what he's playing. On first listen it sounds nice, after a couple of listens the songs start to stick in your head, then when you work the guitar parts out it's like - wow that's really cool!

I'm afraid to even try for fear I won't be able to play his stuff and crush my oh-so-frail male ego. Pretty smooth playing, huh?

grungeiceman
February 20th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Yah I find it hard to beleive his first album he put out when he was only 19, man its amazing to hes a real talent. Its good to see some one recognizing the old blues men again it seems most people have forgotten them.

Tone2TheBone
February 21st, 2007, 10:15 AM
Well when you think about it all of those old guys will be gone soon and when that happens that will be AWFUL WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO!?? *panics* It's people like us...everyone...Kenny to you to me to him to her...everyone...to keep that fire burning after they're gone.

Spudman
April 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM
This will throw you for a loop. Look who's playing a Les Paul...and singing. Go figure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7nwlfRONP4&mode=related&search=

SuperSwede
April 2nd, 2007, 03:04 AM
Spud, thanks for that clip. I think that Kenny does a good job at promoting the guitar to the kids of today. It sounds a little like Pearl Jam / Kravitz and I like it a lot. Good solo too on that LP (deluxe?)

Spudman
April 2nd, 2007, 09:09 PM
The whole album is really good, but this is the first time that I've seen him sing. On his records and concerts he usually has a dedicated lead vocalist.
I got to watch him jam with his songwriting partner Mark Selby too one time. They had not done that before and they just felt like cutting loose in that venue. They were on tour together each with their own band.