PDA

View Full Version : My Ultimate Guitar

marnold
February 2nd, 2007, 10:30 AM
After getting my '51 I think I have determined what my Ultimate Guitar would actually be. It's a guitar that would be able to play anything I like to play. Basically, it would be a fat Strat (HSS). I'd like a relatively hot, mid-rangey humbucker like my Fender's Atomic II and Texas Special single coils in the middle and neck. I'd like a maple fretboard (preferably bird's eye) and probably a reverse-swept pointy headstock for a flashback to my misspent youth. The color scheme would be "None more black": black paint (preferably a satin finish), black pickguard, black hardware. I think that would totally rock.

The thing is that the guitar I almost bought first was a Dean fat Strat. It would have been red instead of black and with a Strat-like headstock, but otherwise it would have fit the bill. As I glanced through the Musician's Friend catalog, I came across the Ibanez SA260M (http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=SA260M&c=BK) which seemed to fit the bill pretty well. I have no idea what the pickups sound like. It goes for $350, which isn't bad at all. Having said that, I'm in no position to talk about anything guitar-oriented right now. Plus, if I'd get it, I'd probably have to sell my Fender and Squier.

Spudman
February 2nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Get it! You'll love it. I have 2 SA series. None with a maple neck though. Hmmm. Now I'm gassing again, dagnabit.

Plank_Spanker
February 2nd, 2007, 01:24 PM
My search for the "ultimate guitar" has led me to 14 guitars on the wall - with no end in sight! :D

marnold
February 2nd, 2007, 01:37 PM
My search for the "ultimate guitar" has led me to 14 guitars on the wall - with no end in sight! :D
Well, that's the thing. I know that "ultimate" is really a journey, not a destination. I'm just thinking of something that would be a good jack-of-all-trades guitar. I love my Fender, but it's pretty much a one-trick pony (although it's a darn impressive trick). Maybe someday when I get a wad of money to blow (as if) I'll have Carvin whip me up something to order.

sunvalleylaw
February 2nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Get it! You'll love it. I have 2 SA series. None with a maple neck though. Hmmm. Now I'm gassing again, dagnabit.

The first guitar I looked at before deciding to go with the strat was the Ibanez SA160 AH Ash, tri-fade sunburst, fat strat config. http://www.electricguitarsource.com/Ibanez-Guitars/Ibanez-SA160AH-Electric-Guitar.html It was nice, but ended up deciding to go traditional strat. My humbucker, coil splitting guitar I hope to add sometime will probably be more LP based.