PDA

View Full Version : Persickety Gibsons!

Plank_Spanker
February 2nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
I picked up my new LP a couple of days ago and thought that it felt different. So I picked up the SG and it was different, also - way out of tune from the last time I played them, and stubborn to hold tune for the first half hour or so of playing.

Then I glanced at the relative humidity of my room - 20 percent and bone dry.

I have since fired up the humidifiers in the house to keep a 47 percent RH.

....................and my Gibbies are happy again.

These are definitely "need to breathe" guitars.

sunvalleylaw
February 2nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
What do you like for humidifiers that don't get too gunked up? Out here in the high desert, this time of year is bone cold and super dry. I don't know the relative humidity in the house, but I know it is dry. I was debating between a couple/few portable units, and a central swamp cooler type attached to the gas forced air. My guitars (esp. the acoustic) seem generally to get sharp as humidity rises, and flatten out as it dries out.

Plank_Spanker
February 2nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
What do you like for humidifiers that don't get too gunked up? Out here in the high desert, this time of year is bone cold and super dry. I don't know the relative humidity in the house, but I know it is dry. I was debating between a couple/few portable units, and a central swamp cooler type attached to the gas forced air. My guitars (esp. the acoustic) seem generally to get sharp as humidity rises, and flatten out as it dries out.

I have a couple of Kenmore evaporative humidifiers in the house - a small one for the guitar lounge, and a large one for the rest of the house. No gunk, no fuss. Just add water and change the filters once a year and you're good to go.

Acoustics are very susceptible to damage from very dry conditions. I keep mine in their cases with an in-case humidifier during the winter heating months.

Guitars are like people. If you are uncomfortable, so is your guitar.

sunvalleylaw
February 2nd, 2007, 01:03 PM
Yep, and now is the season. My skin is dry and itchy. My acoustic has an in case humidifier (The old school pill box style). I don't have anything for my electric right now. Maybe I should consider getting one.

EDIT: I heard from more than one guitar store owner that different brands of acoustics survive differently up hear. Gibbies, made in the MT factory do well, as do Martins. Taylors supposedly not so well. Mine is a spruce top laminate back and sides, and seems to do ok. I can tell when the weather is changing though and would like to minimize that.

Plank_Spanker
February 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
I try to keep a 47 percent RH going in the lounge. The guitars seem happy with this.

sunvalleylaw
February 2nd, 2007, 01:15 PM
The Martin reps when they came through said their ideal was 50% so you are right in there.

Plank_Spanker
February 2nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Most players tend to ignore RH when it comes to electrics, but I'm here to tell that it's important to them, also.