PDA

View Full Version : The future of blues is safe

Lev
February 3rd, 2007, 04:31 AM
Hey gang,

As I'm sure you may be aware I'm a big fan of John Mayer and have posted some of my favourite clips of the guy on here over the past while. However I would encourage you all to take a look at this because it was posted on youtube by John himself. He improvises the solos each time he plays this song & given that he himself has put this out on youtube I think he knows he nailed this one!!

I myself found this performance truely inspiring as a guitarist and was moved by the soulfulness and intensity of his playing. This is what keeps me playing the guitar, striving to get to a point where scales, keys, chords don't matter and the guitar just becomes another singing voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeRaUjTBuv0

To give some background about this song here's what he said about it a couple of months back when it was announced as his next single:

"I'm so thrilled that everyone involved in this record are behind "Gravity". (Thanks record people.) I'm looking forward to FINALLY being able to play my guitar the way I want to at the "big games"... Expect to see a different performance on TV every time I play it. And show producers, look for the musical guest to run long.

I don't know why I'm so excited about this over so many other pieces of great news. I just feel like I might actually start to get my inside story and my outside story to read the same" John Mayer (from his website blog)

kerc
February 3rd, 2007, 05:27 AM
I like Mayer a lot. :D He makes good stuff.

warren0728
February 3rd, 2007, 08:12 AM
thanks lev....great video....really emotional playing

i'm just glad he didn't swallow his pick there at the end!! :eek:

ww

ShortBuSX
February 3rd, 2007, 08:57 AM
I love that tone!!! Any pick up suggestions???

[edit]BTW did any of yall see this??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0md_BA8Iew&mode=related&search=
You gotta hold out for the Hall n Oats thing at about 8:15

[edit2]This was pretty smooth too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNK4Twjj0Kk ...awesome tone!!!:eek:

PS: who knew he was such a "shawarma" fan?

tot_Ou_tard
February 3rd, 2007, 10:24 AM
Very sweet. Me likey!

Robert
February 3rd, 2007, 10:26 AM
John Mayer is very talented young man. He seems like a real nice guy too. He knows tone, gear, how to write good songs and how to play ace guitar. Hard to not like him.

SuperSwede
February 3rd, 2007, 10:59 AM
John Mayer is very talented young man. He seems like a real nice guy too. He knows tone, gear, how to write good songs and how to play ace guitar. Hard to not like him.

Yeah, he seems a lot like you :)
Only thing missing is evidence of your song writing skill (can anyone say TonePort please :D )

NPauly
February 4th, 2007, 05:47 AM
John sounds great ... but the kit sounds like crap ... even when it's not distorting it sounds hollow and flat. yuck ...

Robert
February 4th, 2007, 08:34 PM
SS, that's awfully nice of you to say so! :)

I am not much of a songwriter, but I will make more attempts at that after I get my Toneport... Thanks again for the encouragement.

Spudman
February 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM
That was a nice version of Gravity.

Is it just me or did it seem like he was playing a highschool prom? The stage sure looked like it. :)

Lev
February 5th, 2007, 02:17 AM
yep, he does tend to attract alot of screaming girls, I guess it's to be expected when your biggest hit is called 'Your Body is a Wonderland'! Unfortunately I think that's the reason why alot of people dismiss him as a credible blues guitarist.

sunvalleylaw
February 5th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I had not been that familiar with his work prior to asking for Continuum for Christmas. I had heard the Daughters song a couple times but not much beyond that that I can remember. When I received Continuum, I liked the whole album, but really was taken with the Gravity track. I searched youtube (to try to learn a little of it) and found out it was this big, popular song that apparently was from before this album. What a great version! +1! Helps me remember not to treat some of these solos and songs as so set in stone for each playing. Thanks Lev!

Tone2TheBone
February 5th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Is it just me....or is John looking like Anakin Skywalker these days...

885 886

:)

I think John's playing is great. I even liked his pop stuff. I wonder what he thought of Jessica though. sssssssss

Spudman
February 5th, 2007, 02:41 PM
:)

I wonder what he thought of Jessica though. sssssssss
You must mean: "I wonder how he felt about Jessica?":D :D

Tone2TheBone
February 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
You must mean: "I wonder how he felt about Jessica?":D :D

Uhuh...that too. :p

ssssssssssssssss

warren0728
February 5th, 2007, 02:49 PM
i wonder how jessica felt too ;)

ww

Tone2TheBone
February 5th, 2007, 02:50 PM
i wonder how jessica felt too ;)

ww

LMAO umm yeah that was pretty much what I wanted to say. hahahaha :R

Lev
February 6th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Her Body is a Wonderland !

Spudman
February 6th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Amen to that. However if the duct tape ever falls off her mouth it would sort of ruin everything.;)

Tone2TheBone
February 6th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Amen to that. However if the duct tape ever falls off her mouth it would sort of ruin everything.;)

hahahahahahahahaha :p

Moshe
February 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I still don't think he's that great of a guitarist...yet. But he sings nice.

Honestly, I think there are a few around here that phrase their solos better.

I don't want to be too harsh 'cause I think what he is trying to do is awesome, but I think he will be much better in a few years.

He does have nice tone though.