PDA

View Full Version : Headphones vs. Studio Monitors

jasongins
February 3rd, 2007, 10:44 AM
I've been getting into recording a bit. I use an m-audio black box going USB into my Mac Mini with garageband. If I monitor through the computer speakers, there is just too much latency. The black box has a headphone jack as well as left & right outputs for monitors. It also has a mix knob that will allow me to vary the mix of the input signal and playback signal that will be directed to the monitors or headphones. My question is this: How is it playing with headphones on? I have a friend telling me that "you lose the feel," but being a beginner, I'm not sure I even have "the feel" yet in the first place. I can get headphones for less than monitors, but I'm not sure about wearing them. Opinions?

SuperSwede
February 3rd, 2007, 10:57 AM
I would take a good pair of headphones over monitors any day!
The built in core-audio drivers (usb audio) in mac os x delivers almost no latency (on my 2ghz imac at least). You can try to change your settings in the audio/midi app (found in applications/tools)

Justaguyin_nc
February 3rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Hi Jason... happy to see you around here... I am also pretty new to this stuff.. a little over a year... I really enjoy listening to the tracks and playing thru headphones... it adds alot.. unfortunatley.. I have also noticed when I record with headphones on... than listen to the finished tracks without them... well, it loses something... like I record lower with the headphones on so it eventually filters down lower in the end product.. but I have learned or learning to compensate for that...

I use a pair of Sony MDR-7506 ($99.00) headphones I have had for a few years now.. and I can wear them all day long.. comfy IMHO... for all type listening...

this has all been my personal opinion... take it with a grain of salt...;)

Hogfullofblues
February 4th, 2007, 03:26 PM
The cord can be a pain sometimes, but that is the only issue I have found. Gotta be careful doing that head bobbing thing.
Not sure what your friend means by losing the feel, but SS plays with feeling galore so that must not be it.
I am just guessing here, but I bet your black box won't drive monitors anyway, only powered speakers. If so and you have a set of computer speakers, you could connect them to the box with a 1/8 adapter either to the R/L outs or even the headphone jack as another option. That's how the POD works anyway.
Otherwise headphones sound great, cost way less than equivalent monitors and let me rock anytime without bothering others.
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/music005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

jasongins
February 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all of your input. Hog - by "monitors," I was referring to powered speakers. Some of them have multiple inputs and can mix the signals from both, so I could have both my computer and black box plugged into them at once. I think I am going to try on some headphones and see how that feels.