PDA

View Full Version : What temperatures are safe for storing a solid body electric?

tremoloman
February 4th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Hello everyone! Long time no type!

What temperatures are safe to store electric guitars? Our studio isn't heated and I'd like to keep all my equipment there if possible. It doesn't get below freezing, but I don't know how cold it does get down there yet. I bought a thermometer today and will find out in the next few days.

Any input you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Take care everyone!

Spudman
February 4th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Hello everyone! Long time no type!

What temperatures are safe to store electric guitars? Our studio isn't heated and I'd like to keep all my equipment there if possible. It doesn't get below freezing, but I don't know how cold it does get down there yet. I bought a thermometer today and will find out in the next few days.

Any input you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Trem

I don't think storing them would be a problem at almost any humanly acceptable temperature, either somewhat cold or somewhat warm. Problems would most likely occur if they are regularly being cooled and then heated and then cooled and heated again.

Guitars don't like to warm up fast. Rapid expansion can mess with the truss rod and especially the finish possibly causing the finish to crack.

If you are going to just be leaving them there and not pulling them out to play while you are there, you shouldn't have a problem. Just remember to warm them slowly and thoroughly before use.

ps. What's the address of this place?;)

Tone2TheBone
February 4th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Trem where you been!!!

SuperSwede
February 5th, 2007, 04:19 AM
T-man you are back! What have you been up to lately?

tot_Ou_tard
February 5th, 2007, 06:10 AM
T-man you are back! What have you been up to lately?
My guess is cowering in fear of lite-brite versions of Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. :D

Glad to know that you're safe & back on the Fret Trem!

It's gonna be a cold'un in Beantown tonight so I hope your gear is safe.

tremoloman
February 5th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks you guys! Yeah, Aqua Teen Hunger Force is a serious threat to society. It just goes to show how wacky people from The People's Republic of Cambridge can be. Talk about overreacting! They looked like freakin' Lite-Brite toys!

I've had a lot going on the past few months which has kept me from logging in much. I'm sorry I haven't been around much but I promise I'll be posting more regularly again. I've been having serious health issues regarding tendonitis so when I'm working 12 hrs a day typing, it's diffucult to come home and type ya know?

I'm looking into changing jobs and/or careers in 2007, so I'm hoping to find a new job that doesn't require so much typing. :)

It's great to be back!
Take care everyone!

-Trem

P.S. I went to the studio and it was 48 degrees - Not extremely cold, but not exactly warm either. I've read various reports on temperature and humidity. I'll see how they look tonight when I leave my parents house.

duhvoodooman
February 5th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Hey, Trem! Nice to see yer face in the place! ;) :D

sunvalleylaw
February 5th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Hey, Trem! Nice to see yer face in the place! ;) :D

. . . . . . . . . . . .Hear, Hear!!:R :R

tot_Ou_tard
February 5th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Trem, I hope that tendonitis doesn't cause you problems with your strat playing.