PDA

View Full Version : Prince at Half Time

warren0728
February 5th, 2007, 02:22 PM
ok...so who saw the half time show with Prince....what did you think?

I think he did an incredible job, especially considering he was playing live (no lip-syncing or backing tracks) in a freakin' rain storm!!

I think it was one of the best half-time shows ever....

ww

Robert
February 5th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I missed it, I missed it! Dang!

sunvalleylaw
February 5th, 2007, 02:24 PM
ok...so who saw the half time show with Prince....what did you think?

I think he did an incredible job, especially considering he was playing live (no lip-syncing or backing tracks) in a freakin' rain storm!!

I think it was one of the best half-time shows ever....

ww

Plus he doesn't look that much different than he did over 20 years ago. Liked that turquoise strat. Was I correct in thinking it did not have a middle PUP? I couldn't see one. Looked like it was a fat strat with no middle. :eek: Great show!! The kids and wife liked it too!

Tone2TheBone
February 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I was waiting for someone to post about this. I was going to but I've been busy all morning. Prince kicked major arse AND he did it in the freakin' rain!!! His tone was big and his performance was fantastic. I don't think he could have topped that. I'd be pretty scared to play in the rain like that. There was not a hint of fear in his eye. He kicked it good.

Big_Rob
February 5th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I thought his Strat only had 2 lace p-pups on it. I wonder how quickly they dried his guitars off after he played them in the rain. :D

Spudman
February 5th, 2007, 02:38 PM
He was running wireless so there was no danger from water and electricity mixing. The blue Strat with the Floyd rose tremolo was the same one from the Saturday Night Live gig where he played "Fury." It may have Lace Sensors or EMG pickups. There aren't any pole pieces and I can't find any other info on that particular guitar. That guitar sure sounds good though. Yes it is only 2 pickups. Kind of like Richie Blackmore except Prince has a humbucker in the bridge spot.

warren0728
February 5th, 2007, 02:40 PM
robert - it is all over you tube just search for prince superbowl

svl - i believe it is a fender custom shop...no middle pickup

t2tb - it was hard to tell but the rain was really coming down hard...i was most impressed that he did it live...if you watch the replays on you tube when he has the guitar behind his back and is singing, you can actually hear him bump it when he was dancing....impressive

much better than billy joel did with the national anthem...man was he off key :eek:

ww

Tone2TheBone
February 5th, 2007, 02:46 PM
My relatives came over to our house for my Super Bowl party. Some of them said..."he's not really playing live" and I said "oh yes he is". You could clearly tell from a player's standpoint as he played but you made a good observation about the bumping up against the guitar noise that only comes when you ARE actually playing.

tot_Ou_tard
February 5th, 2007, 08:17 PM
He sure loves to do a bit of quick hammer ons n' offs while removing his strumming hand from the guitar.

Good stuff...but I think I won't try to get a Prince do-rag as a fashion accessory.

SuperSwede
February 6th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Wow, he sure knows how to play with feeling! I love that "sign" guitar, I wonder if they are available for purchase.

Lev
February 6th, 2007, 05:48 AM
amazing! sure beats Janet Jacksons breast!

Robert
February 6th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Wow, I found it on youtube, what a show!

This man is just such a fantastic showman. A true master.

Did you notice he played "Proud Mary" and "All Along the Watchtower"? It also started with Queen's "We Will Rock You".

Spudman
February 6th, 2007, 10:20 AM
amazing! sure beats Janet Jacksons breast!

Not if you had them strapped around your neck or were doing scales on them. No way!:cool:

Moshe
February 6th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I'm glad you guys liked this 'cause most non-musicians friends I have are like..."meh, it was OK.."

I thought he was awesome.

duhvoodooman
February 6th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I'm glad you guys liked this 'cause most non-musicians friends I have are like..."meh, it was OK.."
I suspect that's because non-musicians have no appreciation for how hard what he did was!

kerc
February 6th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I think Prince is the artist who currently embodies the essence of what Jimi Hendrix did.

:DR

Robert
February 7th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I think Prince is the artist who currently embodies the essence of what Jimi Hendrix did.

:DR

That's a good statement. I would agree with that. Jimi was a better guitarist in my view, but seeing Prince perform is something fantastic. He is a very complete artist, and I think he make any song sound incredible.

SuperSwede
February 7th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Fantastic performance, I wish that Prince could make a guitar based CD.

Spudman
February 7th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Fantastic performance, I wish that Prince could make a guitar based CD.

I'll look into that. Some of the stuff I heard from when Prince was estranged from the record company and using a symbol for a name was really pared down and heavy. I just don't know which albums it might be from.

Robert
February 7th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Check out "Chaos and Disorder" - very raw album.

SuperSwede
February 9th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Not that "funkety funk r´n´b" that we all love to hate? I have to check out that album.