PDA

View Full Version : Dana guitar (maybe danelectro)

pie_man_25
February 5th, 2007, 03:21 PM
please read this knowing that this guitar is very old (at least 20 years).

this guitar I got from my father, which he got from a friend as his first guitar.
It's ancient, so the manufacturer, Dana has either:

1) changed the name to danelectro.
2) gone out of business.

It's red with a telecaster body, gibson-like bridge 1 single coil pickup at the neck and a volume and tone nob with a tele headstock that says DANA on it.
If you can help me, or know someone who can help, find the worth (or at least the storie behind the maker) please reply.

warren0728
February 5th, 2007, 03:37 PM
do you have any pics....

ww

snarph
February 5th, 2007, 04:06 PM
not to sound like a smart a$$ but did you try google ?

pie_man_25
February 13th, 2007, 02:27 PM
not to sound like a smart a$$ but did you try google ?
yes I have tried Google, I've found a bit about a person named Dana something that made "1000 of the world's finest accoustics".
Also, I'm a bit busy but I'll try to make some as soon as possible.

Iago
July 15th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I bet it has nothing to do with Danelectro. Danelectro is around since the 50's as far I know. Option 2 is probably the right one.

guitartist
July 16th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Hmmmm, I'm not sure but maybe its an Alvarez. For a while Alvarez made guitars designed by a guy named Dana Westone, and they put "Dana" on the headstock...but as far as I know they also put Alvarez bigger on the headstock with the Dana logo smaller. (Most of Dana models have a "scoop', which is an extreme cut away that cuts into the guitar way up under the neck, but some Alvarez Danas don't have the scoop).

pie_man_25
July 24th, 2007, 10:12 AM
/\ that could be it, but I doubt it, because ot doesn't have alvarez on it.

fen1der
September 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I am not 100% sure but you may have a Guitar made by Dana Sutcliffe from Delaware. That sounds like his first line I had one it was a white strat with a tele neck with dana logo on the headstock. you can go to his website danamusic and read about him . I knew him a long time and think he is a terrific person and quite the luthier. http://www.danamusic.com
Hope this helps

pie_man_25
September 25th, 2007, 06:52 PM
/\ perhaps it could be one of his early works.

koontzchick
April 5th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Hi, I just googled Dana guitars and saw your post...I too have a Dana guitar that use to belong to my father. Although I am wondering if your guitar might be older that what you mentioned. The guitar I have is roughly 50-60 years old. The tag inside the guitar is labeled Dana and it was made in Japan. The name Dana is also on the headstock. That is all the information I have. I too would like to know more about the guitars.

koontzchick
April 8th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Just a note...The Dana I have is an acoustic.

markb
April 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Does it look anything like this? This is a Jedson from the 70s. Jedson was a brand of Dallas-Arbiter in the UK but I wouldn't be surprised if they were sold under other brands in the US.

http://is01.thegumtree.com/image/extrabig/43680949.jpg

My first electric was a sunburst 2 pickup model. That would have been '73 or '4.