PDA

View Full Version : Fun in the Sun: a Fretter's Holiday (or Spud comes to the Sun)

sunvalleylaw
February 5th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Well, the two Idaho Steves shared fret brotherhood this weekend. Spudman came over with his fam and visited up here in the Valley, and we had a rippin old time. He brought a coupla guitars, a pedal board, and his C-30, and I had mine and my strat. Stayed up too late, played some guitar, talked a lot, and had some great time out in the Sun Valley sun. Steve (Spud) was really great, showing me a ton of stuff on the guitar, sharing his toys nicely, and generally being a great guy. Here are a coupla pics. Can we get any squintier? http://homepage.mac.com/sunvalleylaw/PhotoAlbum2.html

Thanks Robert and you fretters for making a place where we can a guy can make new friends like Spud.

warren0728
February 5th, 2007, 03:57 PM
very cool...having had face to face meetings with two fretters myself....it's good to see others getting together....sounds like much fun was had!

ww

Tone2TheBone
February 5th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Hey pretty cool you guys. I had to put on my cheap sunglasses to look!

The guitar photo one is classic. Make an 8x10 of that one.

duhvoodooman
February 5th, 2007, 05:00 PM
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Hogfullofblues
February 5th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Yea, very cool indeed. Brother guitar lovin Fretters gettin together. In fact, you two could pass for brothers.

ted s
February 5th, 2007, 05:28 PM
That's great you guys ! Glad to hear about it, thanks for sharing !

Robert
February 5th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Way cool! Now someone has to come visit me! :)

warren0728
February 5th, 2007, 05:45 PM
man i would love to...spent some time in banff quite a few years ago...beautiful country!

a trip with the family to canada would be cool!

ww

Spudman
February 5th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Yea, very cool indeed. Brother guitar lovin Fretters gettin together. In fact, you two could pass for brothers.

Well....our birthdays are just 2 weeks apart, and we found out we are pretty much the same guy. The only difference is that Steve looks better than I do without makeup.

These aren't the only pictures you'll be seeing of us together. I hope to get one when we both summit the Grand Mogul (9,733 ft) or Mt. Heyburn (10,229 ft) in the Sawtooths this summer. Keep that one under your hats because I haven't mentioned it to him yet. I'll bring it up after we've been jamming and sampling some micro brews.

And thank you from me also Robert. New friends courtesy of thefret. Doesn't get much better than that.:)

PS. He wasn't kidding about buying the beer...and it was good stuff.:DR

Spudman
February 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM

You're on My list. Maybe a couple of days scampering trails in Jasper?

sunvalleylaw
February 5th, 2007, 07:43 PM
very cool...having had face to face meetings with two fretters myself....it's good to see others getting together....sounds like much fun was had!

ww

That's great Warren. I knew you had met up with Iago. Who else? If I was closer, I'd come over in a flash, and put my pancake bib on. :D Haven't been southeast in a long time. Hopefully will correct that.

Robert, would love to come to visit you too. (and the rest of you guys for that matter) Maybe with Spud. I'd bring my running shoes and you could kick my arse on guitar and on the running trails. We'd have to "re-hydrate" watching your band at that new Irish Pub gig. Hey, that's it. Party at Robert's Swedirish pub!

SpudSteve: I'm in for a mountain trip. As I said, haven't done one of the peaks yet. You could bring that two guitar case with the backpack straps and haul up our guitars. :D :DR Thanks again for the great weekend!

warren0728
February 5th, 2007, 07:57 PM
That's great Warren. I knew you had met up with Iago. Who else? If I was closer, I'd come over in a flash, and put my pancake bib on. :D Haven't been southeast in a long time. Hopefully will correct that.
hey steve...when you need a break from all that snow and cold temps, pack your shorts and come on down!!

I have also met up with Tim! really nice guy....we had a great time. Hope to get together with him again before he moves!

our kids are 8 and 10 and we have started taking family vacations....might have to head out your way sometime. I have only snow skied once and it wasn't pretty! :eek: :D

ww

sunvalleylaw
February 5th, 2007, 08:01 PM
hey steve...when you need a break from all that snow and cold temps, pack your shorts and come on down!!

I have also met up with Tim! really nice guy....we had a great time. Hope to get together with him again before he moves!

our kids are 8 and 10 and we have started taking family vacations....might have to head out your way sometime. I have only snow skied once and it wasn't pretty! :eek: :D

ww

Oh, it's always pretty, even when you're not! :D SV is a really great vacation spot for families. Pretty much any season. Spring or November is not the best, because the snow is melting or winter is just coming on, but almost any other time of year is great. Ours, who Spudley met, are 9, almost 7, and 3, so we enjoy family vacations too. We normally head to the Pacific to see the ocean, but the Atlantic may be calling one of these days.

tot_Ou_tard
February 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Way cool. Glad you had fun!

Lev
February 6th, 2007, 01:47 AM
maybe an annual fretters convention is in order!
Can we have it in Ireland? :)

SuperSwede
February 6th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Its damn boring to live so far away from 99.9% of the fretters. :(

Robert
February 6th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Well....our birthdays are just 2 weeks apart, and we found out we are pretty much the same guy. The only difference is that Steve looks better than I do without makeup.

however, Sun-Steve does have more hair on top. :D

Warren and Spud and Steve and everyone, Jasper or Banff - I'll be there with my guitar and lots of good Canada beer!

Spudman
February 6th, 2007, 08:17 AM
however, Sun-Steve does have more hair on top. :D

Ouch! There goes your next Christmas gift. You pretty much threw Fathers Day out the window too.:(

SuperSwede
February 6th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Ouch! There goes your next Christmas gift. You pretty much threw Fathers Day out the window too.:(

Robert is your F A T H E R ? Wow, who could have known....

tot_Ou_tard
February 6th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Robert is your F A T H E R ? Wow, who could have known....

Camera pans to a closeup of Spud Skyrocker's contorted face:

nnnNNNNOOOOoooOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! !

sunvalleylaw
February 6th, 2007, 09:57 AM
LOLROF!!!! tot Ou tard, that was my reaction too. I guess the convention up in Banff or Jasper could be a family reunion. ;-)

Spudman
February 6th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Camera pans to a closeup of Spud Skyrocker's contorted face:

nnnNNNNOOOOoooOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! !

To infinity...and beyond!
Spud Skyrocker has a nice ring to it.
So...next thing you're going to tell me is that Pamela Anderson is really my sister too? And that my 64 Strat is buried in a swamp somewhere and I can only use sight reading jazz lines to retrieve it from the ooze?

sunvalleylaw
February 6th, 2007, 10:56 AM
To infinity...and beyond!
Spud Skyrocker has a nice ring to it.
So...next thing you're going to tell me is that Pamela Anderson is really my sister too? And that my 64 Strat is buried in a swamp somewhere and I can only use sight reading jazz lines to retrieve it from the ooze?

The strat called . . . . EXCALIBUR! Lifted from the lake held by a gauzily clad Pamela Anderson, while you approach the ooze, with Janet Jackson draped around your neck. :p

See, all that reading (and movie watching) does build the imagination. Could call the strat/blade Anduril and have Liv Tyler draped around your neck as an alternative. Has a nice rock and roll symmetry to it. Steven Tyler could play some sort of evil lord.

duhvoodooman
February 6th, 2007, 11:31 AM
You guys got W-A-A-A-Y-Y to much time on your hands.... :rolleyes: ;) :D

6STRINGS 9LIVES
February 7th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Real nice guys ..it warms the cockles of my heart to see two fretters gettin together to do some pickin' and grinnin'..
Hey Lev .. i'm up for the Ireland thing , going to visit for 3 weeks this year .. i'm 4 generations removed from the sod , cork to be exact and am going to visit for the 1st time ... ERIN GOBRAH

sunvalleylaw
February 7th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Hey, I've got ancestors in Tipperary (and Norway, Great Britain, Wales, blah, blah). I hope to get back and visit one of these days. My Dutch mother in law had a great bike tour of Ireland in her late 70s and developed a taste for mother's milk, aka Guinness! :eek: :D :)

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Got me some Irish blood too & I love Guiness.

marnold
February 7th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I'm 100% German but I can put my Reinheitsgebot away long enough to enjoy a pint (Imperial, natch) or two of Guinness. Corned beef makes me barf though.

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I'm 100% German but I can put my Reinheitsgebot away long enough to enjoy a pint (Imperial, natch) or two of Guinness. Corned beef makes me barf though.
I guess you pronounce your nickname as m'arnol'.
As in you want to *PUMP US UP*!

Spudman
February 7th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I'm 100% German but I can put my Reinheitsgebot away long enough to enjoy a pint (Imperial, natch) or two of Guinness.

Reinheitsgebot? We'll if you don't put it away you'll go blind.:eek: :D

+1 on the Guinness

sunvalleylaw
February 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I guess you pronounce your nickname as m'arnol'.
As in you want to *PUMP US UP*!

Now wait just a minute . . . Arnold's Austrian! :p

tot_Ou_tard
February 8th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Now wait just a minute . . . Arnold's Austrian! :p
There's a difference? ;)

Lev
February 9th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Real nice guys ..it warms the cockles of my heart to see two fretters gettin together to do some pickin' and grinnin'..
Hey Lev .. i'm up for the Ireland thing , going to visit for 3 weeks this year .. i'm 4 generations removed from the sod , cork to be exact and am going to visit for the 1st time ... ERIN GOBRAH

Cool, what time of year you going? Hope you've been warned about our unpredicatable weather - it's kinda hard to avoid the rain!