PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the laney tube fusion series?

Matt
January 3rd, 2006, 10:05 AM
hey guys, ive been needing a new amp for some time, my old marlin reverb 25 (who the hell made those?) is lacking in the power department and is struggling to keep up with the drummer. and its overdrive function has blown, so i would really like a new amp.

Ive been looking at the Laney tube fusion series lately and they seem to get stirling reviews and are easy on the pocket too! i'm considering either:

TF-200II (65W, 3 channels, reverb)
TF-300II (120W, 3 channels, reverb)
TFX-2 (65W, 3 channels, reverb, multitude of really nice effects)

they are all driven by a single tube and are solidstate hybrid amps i think. they do sound pretty nice as well, after having trying one at my local music store. the TF-200II is the cheapest, and the other two cost roughly the same, but the extra power/ effects would be nice to have.

So, what i'm trying to get at, is what do you guys think of these amps? and which would you choose? i could live without the effects as i have a Zoom GFX-1, but the amps effects are nicer ;)

cheers

Matt

Robert
January 3rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
Never tried a Laney. I've heard good things about their VC30 model. Be sure you try a Vox Valvetronix too! They are great for the money, and sound very close to a tube amp. There are lots of video clips of me playing a Vox AD50VT on my site.

Matt
January 3rd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Be sure you try a Vox Valvetronix too! They are great for the money, and sound very close to a tube amp. There are lots of video clips of me playing a Vox AD50VT on my site.

I've seen your clips, and it does indeed sound very nice (and your playing is excellent :D). Out of interest, how loud is it? Because i intend to use the amp i get for jamming and small gigs, and so it needs a bit of power to it to cut through the mix so to speak. And does it come with any effects, and prehaps more importantly a footswitch to switch between the inbuilt amp models etc?

cheers

Matt

Robert
January 3rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
It is plenty loud. I gigged with an 80s rock band with no problems. It has built in effects, see my amp section on my website for more info. It doesn't come with a footswitch, but it can be bought separately, although any stereo input footswitch will work, I've been told.

Matt
January 3rd, 2006, 05:26 PM
Cheers for the reply Robert. It does seem to have an impressive spec, and after having read several reviews, it does indeed look nice, is also very light and like you said, quite cheap. However, I'm still not quite convinced- what i like about the Laney tube fusion series is the three channels giving the option to have clean, light dist and then heavy, and then i could use my bad monkey to boost where i need a solo. I know you can do the same with the AD50VT, but its slightly more difficult to do if i read the manual right. I'll try both and see which i prefer. If i do choose a Laney, it would be the TF-200II. not too overpowering, and cheapest of the lot (including the AD50VT).

either way, I will not be getting it untill next month at the least, so i will let you know. cheers for the input.

regards

Matt