PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a Squire Strat

Slimboy Fat
February 6th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Hi, I'm modifying an old early 90's MIJ Strat. Serial N0XXXXX. So far I have changed the electrics to USA pickups and will be fitting some Shaller tuners and a new Graph-Tech(?)nut. My main issue is sourcing the correct trem for my guitar. I'm a bit lost on what to buy. Theres some great value options on ebay.com but I want to be sure I'm getting the right size/spec before I committ to ordering one from the States. The current trem is 6 screw vintage strat style and seems to have a 2 1/8" E to E string spacing with a measurement of 56mm between the centres of the outside pivot screws. Do I have to match the exact size or will a 2 1/16" or a 2 7/32" do the job etc etc? Should I go for a '57 trem, a '62 or 70's. If anyone can advise me I would really appreciate it!

Spudman
February 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM
My advise is to KEEP THAT GUITAR STOCK!

Those MIJ guitars are a high quality guitar. In every case that I have seen once you do mods to them the collectible value is GONE. A new nut? Yes. A screw here and there? Yes. But I would never do any major changes to it, and if you do, hang on to every last part that you remove. You can include them if and when you decide to resell it.

SuperSwede
February 7th, 2007, 04:26 AM
I´ll second Spuds statement. Those MIJ strats are excellent guitars, and the collectible value of original ones will rise a lot in the (near) future.

Slimboy Fat
February 7th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Are you sure its a collectable Squier Strat? Annoyingly the headstock hasnt got the 'Series' name as it looks like it was scratched off at some point. Its a bit knackered and doesnt stay in tune very well. The tuners are rattley, the nut buzzes and a friend identified it had a plywood body. Its come into my posession only recently and appears to have had a rough life. I'm pretty sure it was heading for the skip which is why I 'liberated' it.

Spudman
February 7th, 2007, 08:10 AM
I've never seen a plywood Jap Squier body. Next string change take the pickguard off and look at the grain inside the pickup cavities. You should be able to see if it's ply or solid.

Almost every Jap Squier is currently being resold for it's original sale price or more. If you still have the serial # on it then you are in good shape. IF it's gone then a future buyer will have no way of authenticating it so then you might as well do with it as you like. I'm just trying to save you the possible grief of it becoming devalued.

Slimboy Fat
February 7th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the advice. It still has the serial no on the headstock (N013426) under the logo but nothing on the round sticky-out bit at the end (what is that bit called?!) - it looks like something was scratched off though. I've read that thats not enough to know what model it is unfortunately. All I can say is that it does have a '57 style 8 hole scratch plate and has quite a sharp edge to the rear contour. The neck/fretboard seems to be all one piece of wood (maple?). I am very suprised to find out that this might be a collectable guitar as you wouldn't think it looking at it!

6STRINGS 9LIVES
February 7th, 2007, 12:09 PM
THE only squires that are hot in terms of collectability are the 83-84 jv series , says jv on the neckplate .. send a pic and i'll id it for ya ,, no camera? pull the neck and tell me what is printed in the neck pocket, 2 1/8 spacing should be fine. N seial # puts it in the 93-94 vintage , should be a basswod body , some had alder but were rare , i dont think plywood was a wood used by squire , in those days , cant speak for the indonesian or korean stuff , it aint on my radar,

Slimboy Fat
February 7th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Heres some pics of the wretched thing.

Spudman
February 7th, 2007, 06:28 PM
If you don't like it, rather than chopping it up, sell it on Ebay and take the $ and buy something that you do like. You'll probably get plenty for it to buy something else that's nice.

ted s
February 7th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Your right Slimboy, absolutely wretched, you should give it to me to get rid of for you. Welocme to the fret BTW !

Slimboy Fat
February 8th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Ha ha Ha! Thanks Ted, I'll bear that in mind...

I've come to the conclusion its a Silver Series Strat going on the fact that the logo is silver...?

So. Next (million dollar) question. If I dont modify it and stick it up for sale what ball park figure might i be looking at? I havent seen anything to compare it to online.

Spudman
February 8th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Polish it up and put new strings on it. Give 3 or 4 pictures. One of the headstock, one of the face of the body and pickups, one of the body back and one full length front. Describe it well and use the word "Japan" in your listing title.

Start at no reserve. She'll go pretty high. Probably over $300 but I'm not going to guarantee it.

Good luck.

Slimboy Fat
February 9th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the help Spud. At the moment I think i'm gonna hang on to it an maybe drop in a better vintage trem. Of course as suggested I'll keep all my original parts for any potential future sale! The trem is 56mm between the outside screw centres and 2 1/8" string spacing. Are most fender strat vintage trems going to match this or at least be a good 'drop in' replacement. I've seen a few on ebay.

Cheers.

ShortBuSX
February 9th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Why not just clean up the pickguard(or replace it) and just rock whatchu got?
Betcha a Mr.Clean Dry Eraser would work nicely!;)

Does the rest of the guitar have the faded polka dot aftermath?

Slimboy Fat
February 19th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Well it feels pretty lifeless (the new pups are great though) as it is. I would like to improve the tuning stability, tone and sustain and I understand that replacing the nut, stock tuners, and bridge/trem will all help to make what by all accounts might be a quality guitar into something that does actually play and sound good. I'm really pleased to find out that it could be a nice guitar/collectors item of sorts but its all academic if it plays/sounds shite...

Now if someone wants to swap me a nice white Jag for it of course its a beautiful jap squire strat with perfect natural tone and vintage appearance.... :-)

Thanks everyone for all the advice though, I know a lot more about the fella than when I aquired it.

If anyone can answer my bridge/trem question I'd be forever grateful.

Slimboy Fat
March 2nd, 2007, 09:15 AM
Shameless bump.

Anyone got any help they can offer me with sourcing the correct bridge size for my squier strat?

Cheers.

ShortBuSX
March 5th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Keep your bridge(yours has charecter)...just replace the block.
http://www.callahamguitars.com/blocks.htm