PDA

View Full Version : Honda Accord vs. Nissan Altima

Tone2TheBone
February 8th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Any of you groovy cats or your groovy kittens drive any of these makes? Like 'em? Hate 'em? Tell me why.

jasongins
February 8th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Tone,

As preowned automobile dealer, I have a lot of experience with both. It has been the family business of over 30 years (I am second generation), and we do service as well as sales. We have handled more Altimas and Accords than I could even begin to count. I can tell you that both are very good cars, reliable, fuel efficient, and long lasting. Either would be a good choice. The Accord will be a bit more expensive than an Altima of the same model year. I like a 4 cylinder Accord better than a 6 cylinder in terms of reliabilty, but both are good. We haven't had a great many of the newer body style Altimas, but we have seen some insidious head gasket problems with them. My only real criticism of either car is that they don't have a lot of personality, but it seems that the cars with the most personality also come with the most grief.

Tone2TheBone
February 8th, 2007, 10:45 AM
jasongins - Your reply is very much appreciated. I did some consumer reports research and did find a few problems concerning the "engine" as you have mentioned (the head gaskets) on the Altimas. I'm sort of leaning toward the Accord. It's interesting to hear that you favor a 4 cyclinder Accord over the 6 for reliability. Could you please give me more info on that? You hit the nail on the head about cars with lots of personality having more issues. We have bought 3 Toyotas and have just recently had a problem with our latest one...the Camry. Things aren't supposed to happen to Camrys....but apparently they do and I can't wait around for parts or a recall concerning this particular issue so I'm gonna try something else. I will say however that my Tundra is awesome...no problems whatsoever. *shrugs* I guess you never know with cars.

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I agree with watching the head gaskets in the six. I believe that motor design came to Nissan somehow from Alfa (back in the 80s to power the 300 series), and the motors are great, but had head gasket issues. Toyota sixes (more in the trucks, than the sedans) have also had head gasket issues. (the 4runners had a head gasket warranty recall even). The Honda four is a good unit that a lot of kids mod these days with coffee can exhaust tips (fart tubes), etc. I believe after so many miles, you need to watch for oil passing the rings and/or valves. I forget if they tend to smoke on accel or decel when they get tired.

Tone2TheBone
February 8th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I used to expect smoking from American cars but not the Jap cars. How many miles are you talking about sun? Over 300,000 miles? :)

I like the get up and go of the 6 cylinders. A 4 would be ok though as I wait for old age to kick in for me to drive slower.

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Seems like somewhere getting up to 200k but I don't know for sure. My mom had a passport, and i don't think it ever started smoking before she moved on. High out put fours are a gas to drive and are more fun in the corners I think. Sixes are for high speed freeway cruising. A little less balanced. IMHO. But this is for sporty driving. Also, coming from an Alfa mentality, where some passage of oil is almost designed in by those Italians. ;-)

Tone2TheBone
February 8th, 2007, 10:58 AM
So the Hondas are not of that design then?

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2007, 11:03 AM
No. Honda motors are different. They go a loooon way before starting to burn oil, esp. as compared to Alfas. Jasongins can give you better info there on the motors. I think when they smoke, it is usually tired rings, but that is a long ways out. I also think regular maintenance on those units helps prevent that. As far as sporty, Hondas definately can be. Like I said, the kids love 'em for modding and make "fast and furious" cars out of them. They perform great right out of the box. I personally would tend to go for a well maintained four banger Honda for transport, over the six cylinder Nissan. Nissans are great, and make a real nice sedan. Just a little less sporty, little less fuel economy, and sixes are just a little more complicated. I think Jason would agree, but he can chime in when he stops back in to tell me if I am full of it or not. ;-). Ok, gotta work now.

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I also think I would check out the Subaru Outback Imprezza. A less fancy WRX type of car (WRX is all tricked out and kicks arse in road ralleys, etc.) that is good transport, esp. if you go in the snow, as it is AWD. Good options for fold down half seats, cool little hatchback, easy to haul guitars, amps, dogs, kids, skis, bikes, etc. More versatile that way than the Honda.

Tone2TheBone
February 8th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I think the Subarus are nice but this is for my wife and I'm certain that she prefers a 4 door sedan. But never say never.

warren0728
February 8th, 2007, 11:49 AM
i've got a 94 honda civic with 195,000 miles on it and it runs like a top and doesn't burn any oil.

I bartered it for a logo design.... :DR

ww

jasongins
February 8th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I haven't known modern Nissans to have anything to do with Alfa (and I have a '91 Alfa 164S in storage). The head gasket problem I mentioned occured on the later generation Altima (2002 in our case, and it was a four cylinder). It is not a common occurrance, but it does apparently occur. Oil smoking seems to be a rare thing on a modern engine, and modern piston rings don't seem to wear out. Oil smoking on a modern car is more likely a result of an overheat in which the valve seals were melted.

Tone - don't get me wrong, a Honda 6 cylinder is pretty good. We just find the 4 cylinders to be a bit more reliable, less complex, a lot easier to work on, and as having enough power. We find the six cylinder Hondas/Acuras to have a bit more "Check Engine" light sensitivity as they age, and a timing belt change is more involved (when the time comes) than on a 4 cylinder. I don't think you can make a mistake with either the Altima or the Accord. As cars go, they are both a the top of the list in terms of quality, reliability, and longevity. Look at them both, see what you like, and see how either fits your budget.

Tone2TheBone
February 8th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks again jasongins! :)

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Jasongins, my nissan motor reference was back from the 80s and the six that was in the GTV6 and Milano. Back then, Seattle alfisti told me that Nissan had licensed Nissan to build a verision of the Alfa six cylinder to go into the Nissan 300SX of that era. Remembering back that far, who knows if I have it right, or even if they did. Also, probably has no relation to the current Nissan six.

I have seen Hondas blow blue smoke, but usually only those that look like they have been neglected. Tone, I agree with Jasongin's rec. See what you like and what fits in the budget. I would personally go for the four cylinder. Just my taste! :-)

DaveO
February 8th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I've owned about every Honda they make, from the CRX (I sure miss that car) to the Odyssey van (kids come and CRX go). Never any problems well past 100,000. I guess I'll be loyal for a long time

SuperSwede
February 9th, 2007, 10:46 AM
T2TB, our previous car was a "Honda Civic 1.5vtec" (1998) that was really nice. We never had any problem with it.
My father-in-law has a "Honda Accord 2.4 Executive" station wagon (2005) that is awesome. Theres something special about those high performance Honda engines, it takes off like a rocket :) Very reliable car, and the remote you get with the car can open the back hatch so you dont have to do it yourself, I love those kind of extras :D